Auto-shop paint for a 1974 boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #1

Name: Ewa
Trailer: 1974Boler
Ontario
Auto-shop paint for a 1974 boler

Has anyone had their boler painted with auto paint professionally at a shop? Cost? Durability? Prep?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
EwaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #2

Name: Kent
Trailer: 1974 1300 Boler
Manitoba
I had my 74 Boler painted at a auto body shop 20 years ago for $1,000.

There was several spots that required fiberglass repair, including a broken front window and a bunch of cracks (several feet long) in the fiberglass on one side of the window and extending onto the roof (it looked like the previous owner backed into the window with a flat bed truck).

They used a single stage polyurethane automotive paint (white).

It turned out great and I have been very happy with the staying power of the paint over the last two decades.

I would suspect the price may be a bit higher now!

If I was to paint a camper again, I would definitely go to a body shop.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:57 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I have personally painted three Corvettes over the years and the process and results are about the same as on metal.
BUT:
Paint shops seem to have an aversion to painting RV's of any size or shape.

Before I painted my 13'Hunter I pulled it around town to three shops, a franchise auto painting shop that advertised vehicle repaints for "as low as" $295, an independent auto body shop and a shop that specialized in painting RV's Price for a single color repaint, including 1 coat of primer and three coats of paint were about $1400, $1850, and $2300 respectively. That made it a lot easier to prep and paint it myself.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #4

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
When I first got my UHaul, the finish was beyond my abilities/tools/facility to do anything with. I took it to an auto body painter and had it painted for about $800. Three years later and I'm still happy with the job that he did.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
RV paint

I hired an independent auto painter (had his own shop, etc.) to paint my Scamp four years ago. We agreed that he paint it with Imron, which is a commercial type truck paint used by fleet truck businesses. I am very happy with the results. He had to do some small filling in scratches, but everything still looks brand new and I expect it will for years to come. I googled Imron and found that you can not use a wax that has something (I have forgotten what it is called) in it because the wax would blister. I have only washed the trailer with water and it still shines as it was when I bought it in about 2004. Cost: $800. Marg in NW California
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, paint