76 Boler door sag? help! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2017, 12:14 AM   #21

Name: Timothy
Trailer: 76 Boler 1300
Alberta
Sweet thanks!
Timothy Earthnynja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:24 PM   #22

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I can't find the link, but didn't Ian G have ...
Good suggestions Dave & Jon. Life events have taken me away from fiberglass trailers for a while. I looked up some of Ian's stuff -apparently he's been busy learning and posting both here and on his website. He has done some good work!

For Timothy, I suggest you look at some of Ian's stuff. I've got some ideas from the limited pictures of yours. I sent you a PM.

In the meantime, I suggest you look at these links on Ian's website.

Pay particular attention to items 2&3 (the body & frame) and 10 (the door) on Ian's boler buyers guide: Boler Buyer's Guide - Boler-Camping

As well as his well written bit on the boler door and hinges: Door Hinges & Adjustments - Boler-Camping

The one thing I'd like to say to anybody trying to solve a problem with their boler is to first ask yourself if your boler is like the one in the post or website you are looking at. Please recognize that although most bolers look alike; there are some fundamental differences in the various bolers based on where and when they were made.Then there are all the well intended owners mods.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #23

OK, I found a picture in Ian's thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post300139 that I could annotate to try to explain what might be happening to yours.

Here is the same picture with some notes, click on it for a larger version. You can see some of what I am explaining in Ian's original picture. Look at the body curvature of the door frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ians-4.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	106278
Old 05-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #24

Name: Tonnie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Scamp too?

We have a Scamp of about the same year as this Boler. The description of the problem is exactly what we are experiencing. We have the crack in the door frame in the upper right corner. We just replaced the hinges and the door looks warped and has quite a gap in the upper right hand corner.

Do the Scamps of the same vintage also have this problem occasionally?

We are trying to figure out what to do for it as well.
Tonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonnie View Post
... The description of the problem is exactly what we are experiencing. We have the crack in the door frame in the upper right corner.
Do the Scamps of the same vintage also have this problem occasionally?
The crack is pretty solid indicator that is what is happening. Do you have a 13' front bunk model?

Generally speaking, any trailer that is an offshoot of the boler, which the Scamp is, is prone to the problem. This thread lists all the trailers:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nts-26760.html Although most of those trailers look the same, there are slight variations in how they were made. Some fixes may be better suited to certain models.

I'm thinking your Scamp has a wood [OSB] floor. Is that right?
If so it may have that piece I plywood that comes loose behind the front bench (seen from the underside). My boler American was like that.

If you make a template of the inside body on the closet side of the door frame you can use it to check the hinge side. Then you can use that template as part if the fix by lifting the roof, pulling the metal bar back into position and at the same time have a frame for the screen door mod.

JEAN-L said his door issues were improved when he replaced the wood floors in his boler American. Something those with wood floor might want to consider.

Pretty much all the things to look for are listed in this thread. Look at them all while looking at your trailer. Take pictures and come back and ask.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #26

Florida
Thanks Roy,

This Scamp project is getting complicated... I may be in over my head with this problem.

Can you advise what kind of professional I could hire to fix this?

Tondra
Old 05-21-2017, 06:47 PM   #27

Florida
Oh,

I forgot to say that our Scamp does have the wood floors which need replaced and the front bunk floor plan. I have changed the bunk into a dinette, modifying the bottom bunk/sofa fiberglass assembly into two seats.

Thanks,
Tondra
Old 05-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I can't find the link, but didn't Ian G have a good post on the repositioning of the hinges ?
Sorry, don't frequent this site as much as I should. I have been working on a new website, here is a new article on installing Scamp hinges on a Boler.
Hope this helps.
Mounting Scamp Hinges on your Boler – Boler.ca
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #29

Quote:
I have changed the bunk into a dinette, modifying the bottom bunk/sofa fiberglass assembly into two seats.
Sounds like you have most the skills already. Have you posted pictures?

Quote:
Can you advise what kind of professional I could hire to fix this?
You really need to figure out what the source of the problem is first.

A proper diagnosis, helps determine the prognosis.

Tags
boler