Hello-New Member with New Boler (Project) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2017, 07:14 AM   #1

Name: Huw
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Hello-New Member with New Boler (Project)

Hello All,

I'm Huw, I recently picked up a Boler that was gutted for $250CAD! I am converting this Boler to become my camper/Motorcycle carrier. I race off-road and on the track, so this Boler will be for me and my bike to live in on those weekends. In addition I know I'll end up using it for camping weekends.

I joined this forum as I've already learned a fair amount just browsing it, and thought I should join as there is much more to learn.

My current status with the project is I need to fix the frame, it cracked behind the driver side wheel and dropped the door (I learned what dropped the door here). Once that is repaired, I'm thinking of a few supports for the frame to take the weight of myself, bike, and furniture. Also repack the wheel bearings and perhaps new tires.

After the frame is done, it will be sanding the old paint off, and fixing any holes/cracks/splits in the body. Then it will be adding wood support to the body to keep it from sagging. Then I'll add "Foam it Green" (still researching though) for insulation, sand it smooth (where wanted) and paint it. In between that will be adding a Vinyl to the floor.

I'm leaning towards wiring it up after the insulation is done, buy some vinyl/trim for the edges and hide the wiring underneath it. I'm putting in a 12V Battery system for some Dry Camping.

After the frame, Wheel/Tire, body, insulation, paint, wiring is done, I'll be using this thing as much as possible! Down the road I'll look at brakes on trailer, I'll use a 7-Pin so it shouldn't be much work in the future.

Thank you in advance to members I'll be PM'ing, and if anyone has any information or knowledge to provide, "'m all ears at this stage!

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2565.jpg   IMG_2566.jpg  

hgwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:21 AM   #2

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Greetings!

If I were in your shoes and starting from ground zero, I would build a new frame that would support at least two bikes and all the spares and accessories needed, and then give space to add the Boler bubble to it. Basically, build yourself a toy hauler. The original frames were barely enough to support the camper. The extra stresses you will need to counteract for might just torque that old frame a bit beyond repair.

Take a look at this modded out frame. https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...00-st-cloud-mn
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #3

Ontario
That is something I was looking at. There's an article done by Ian Giles who builds a new frame for his Boler. He copies the same style but adds more strength to it. I may look into something like that.

To build a completely new frame I would need an experts help as I am far from an engineer. I guess the benefit of the Boler is it's a fiberglass bubble and can be mounted to any frame really. Doesn't necessarily need any special mounting points.

Something I'll look into for sure.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #4

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
This is an active Craigslist ad. I am sure the seller would be more than willing to share his build information with you. If I was building it myself, I would either add my space both before and behind the camper, or set the camper body higher than the wheels and move the axle forward. The distance from the axle to the hitch in this unit is pretty extreme, considering the weight of the 4 wheeler bouncing in between.
Also remember you will probably be changing out your axle anyway, since chances are pretty good what you have is shot. The axles are based on the weight they are designed to carry. You will probably want to see more capability there.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:09 AM   #5

Ontario
I've reached out to a professional, hopefully they can give me a rough quote.

I definitely won't have a four-wheeler or my bikes on a rack like the guy's post. I was just thinking a small area for a medium sized unit to store some items.

Replacing axles, new frames, this "Budget" project will start to add up soon. I'm still going to see if I can have the current frame reinforced. The guy before me used it for a riding lawn mower, probably weighing around 600lbs.

I'm thinking a bike weight 350lbs should be good.

All in all, I appreciate the advice, and I'll explore the idea as I would prefer a beefed up frame, but it's all $$$.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #6

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgwilliam View Post
Hello All,

After the frame is done, it will be sanding the old paint off, and fixing any holes/cracks/splits in the body. Then it will be adding wood support to the body to keep it from sagging. Then I'll add "Foam it Green" (still researching though) for insulation, sand it smooth (where wanted) and paint it. In between that will be adding a Vinyl to the floor.

Cheers
As for the color of the exterior paint, I hope for you that you will apply a pale paint ...
I met someone who had painted the outside of his Boler in black and said it was a real stove when the sun hit it.

Prevention is better than cure.

You will get a ton of advice on this site.
Good renovations.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler