EggCamper and a Wall! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
EggCamper and a Wall!

Has anyone here dealt with Jim Palmer at EggCamper? We are interested in buying an EggCamper and so on 3 separate occasions we have E-Mailed Jim asking for information and prices on his standard trailer and available options. He keeps sending us copies of material from his website which we have already read and which furnishes little or no information . I am about ready to give up on EggCamper , I can go to the other trailer manufacturers websites and get all the info I need to make a decision (Scamp ,Casitas , Escape , Parkliner, Lil Snoozy Etc.)
I received 4 Pages by E- Mail again this morning from Jim and again the same results AM I JUST BEATING MY HEAD AGAINST A WALL FOR NO REASON?

Thanks Steve D
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Call him.
He was notoriously poor with email back when we bought our EggCamper in 2009 but when you get him on the phone, or in person, he is very personable and will talk your ear off. When we bought ours, it was almost like the factory was a retirement hobby with him. I don't know if he still does it, but in 2009 he would actually close the factory down in winter and go to Arizona! He might be there now, and more focused on golf than on selling another camper.

Also, as an owner, I will be glad to answer any questions I can about the EggCamper trailer, (but not the teardrop).
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Jim Palmer is old school, but he is brilliant. He builds his own airplanes and flies them. I always called and spoke with him and he always had time to talk. I wish I had a chance to meet him. He is not computer savvy but he is fiberglass savvy. I too had an EggCamper and can answer many questions.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #4

NW Wisconsin
Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jim Palmer is old school, but he is brilliant. He builds his own airplanes and flies them. I always called and spoke with him and he always had time to talk. I wish I had a chance to meet him. He is not computer savvy but he is fiberglass savvy. I too had an EggCamper and can answer many questions.
Jim , I know you have owned both an EggCamper and an Escape 19 . We have looked at both trailers and on paper the Escape is considerably more expensive . That being said it is difficult to compare the two when I can not get any specifics on the EggCamper . When I go to the Escape website I can see exactly what I get for my money ,which options are available , their cost and see pictures of the finished product and of the options . When I go to the EggCamper website I end up with more questions then when I started. He may be brilliant but he does not seem too tech or marketing savvy . I have called him but he never returns my calls .

Thanks for your offer
Steve D
Old 03-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #5

Name: JoJo
Trailer: Former CT 13 Owner
Connecticut
Tear Dropp by Egg Camper

I am interested in the Teardropp. Anyone have one or have experience with one? I'd love to hear your comments.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #6

NW Wisconsin
I finally got a hold of Jim Palmer today I got my questions answered ! EggCamper only offers an all electric version , propane is not available and is not an option . They only sell one basic model "The $18880.00 loaded special " . There are no options ,additions, deletions , changes, addons, ETC available. "It is what it is"
Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, he does not like propane, neither does Lil Snoozy.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #8

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
At the time we bought our EggCamper propane was an option. We bought it all electric and just had a propane furnace & cooktop installed at our local RV dealer/repair shop and for less money than the factory was asking. When we first went to the factory to check things out, we were warmly greeted by Jim Palmer and were given just about as complete a tour as possible. He explained everything and insisted that I get down on the floor so I could see the whole underside of the trailer. Later we ordered one and, when we picked it up, he probably spent twice as long giving us the first look at ours, explaining everything. There is a very large owner manual for a small trailer. While he was doing this after we paid him, he sent his office worker to get the title, plate, registration, etc so we had everything ready when we hitched up to take it home. I later took it back to have an awning installed. If this is important to you, it's a little wider and taller inside if you're taller than average. Jim must be 6'4" anyway and there's plenty of headroom for him and he'd be able to lie down on the bed without having head against one wall and feet against the other. The Egg has a very open feeling inside. When in a Casita, I felt sorta claustrophic but Not in the EggCamper. Feel free to ask me anything you want. We saw our first Escape this winter and it seemed very well put together but very closed in compared to the EggCamper.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #9

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
At the time we bought ours, you could have the option of a full time bed or a convertible couch. We chose the bed. We did not buy either the factory mattress nor the factory dinette cushions feeling that they were too expensive. Besides, we wanted a memory foam mattress. Bought it and dinette cushions at Walmart for considerately less.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jim Palmer builds a fine all molded towable. My only objection to the brand is there isn't any windows front or back. If VIEWS are important to you, just know they're only going to be seen out the sides. So if you back into a wonderful site, you better angle the trailer... straight back in won't give you any view.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
Registry
or, you can always step outside to look at the view, less windows mean less condensation areas and a warmer trailer.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #12

NW Wisconsin
The only options on the EggCamper are cushions and a split mattress. I like the double hull concept but to spend $ 18880.00 on a new trailer and then have to spend another 5 or 6 thousand dollars to make it suitable seems foolish . There are no outside outlets or lights or 12vdc outlets on the trailer and Jim will not add them even as an extra . There are no provisions for cable TV or TV antenna or stereo and again Jim will not install them even as an extra . He will only build the trailer he wants not the trailer I want! When I add up the cost of the EGGCamper , installing & buying propane appliances (furnace, cooktop, water heater , 2 way refrigerator) and rewiring the whole trailer if that's even possible , I would have $25000.00 in a 17 ft trailer and weeks of work on my part. I would love to quit banging my head on my Scamps rooftop AC but I can learn to duck . I appreciate all your help but I see no solution but to go to a different manufacturer Thanks Again
Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #13

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
honestly i think not haveing the option for propane is limiting the buyer. Yes you might only ever camp in fancy campgrounds with full hookups...blah blah blah....then a situation rises and you need heat and there is no place to plug it in. Keep your options open.

Check out ParkLiner... ask Chandler about the options you want and see what he says.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Banging your head... going out the door or on the A/C, vent, etc. Solution found for a whole bunch less $$ hang this (thanks Frederick)! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oor-27915.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I would love to quit banging my head on my Scamps rooftop AC but I can learn to duck .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Solution found for a whole bunch less $$ hang this (thanks Frederick)! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oor-27915.html
That's not all I did. I have 2 words for you:
  • Pool Noodle

I cut a piece of Pool Noodle 2' long, and covered it with a sleeve made from leftover curtain material. I slid this over a 3/4" dowel rod 3' long suspended between the closet and refrigerator/pantry cabinet just in front of the upper edge of the door frame. By attaching the ends of the dowel thru the walls on the sides, I add the springiness of the dowel's wood to the cushioning of the pool noodle.
Attached Thumbnails
000_1287.jpg  
Old 03-20-2013, 05:29 AM   #16
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
or, you can always step outside to look at the view, less windows mean less condensation areas and a warmer trailer.
Jim's camping season is about to end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I would love to quit banging my head on my Scamps rooftop AC but I can learn to duck . I appreciate all your help but I see no solution but to go to a different manufacturer Thanks Again
They say we shrink as we get older.. The Parkliner has an interior height of 6' 5" but not as long or wide as the Egg camper. That said, without the drivers side "furnitue" I bet it seems roomy. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We found Jim Palmer to be extremely friendly and helpful. He even took me for a training session in pulling and backing up when we bought our EggCamper. But, he does seem to be inflexible in providing modifications to his product. It must be nice to be in a position where you don't have to cater to your customers' needs - but not so nice for the customers. I think he builds them as a retirement hobby, more than a money-making business.

Jim told us that he had camped in a Casita (or Scamp, I don't remember which), and decided to build a similar camper for tall people. I had always wanted a molded fiberglass camper, but being 6' 4" (the same as Mr. Palmer), I held off buying one. My wife never wanted one because they seemed too "closed in" for her. The EggCamper met both of our needs, although my wife recently admitted she would still like something a bit more spacious inside - (she's mildly claustrophobic). I'm hoping the new, wider, 21' Escape will have the open feeling of the EggCamper; my wife found the 19-footer too narrow and felt uncomfortable in it, (although I found the design to be really nice).
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Part of the claustrophobia of small trailers can come from the lack of windows.

There is an eggcamper in our park and the lack of end windows is hard to understand. The egg has 4 windows and our Scamp has 8

One of the nice Scamp features is big windows at both ends. Another thing that can open up the Scamp is a half table.

As to AC, an advantage of the closet AC is you never hit your head on it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just an observation - often the cleverest minds aren't outgoing personalities or even good business people. Look at the list of eggs at the top of the page and count how many are still in business.

Still, many are great campers, so sometimes you have to bite your tongue and do what is best for you. Or - never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #20

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Now granted Norm, you do live in yours with Ginny... so harder for me to compare with 2 people... I have the rear bath so the window in there I dont get to use but 5 windows plus my door's window lets in alot of light...but the ParkLiner is pretty beamy with a 6'10" interior width so i don't feel confined in it...now add another person or 2 probably... lol

The Eggcamper is too white inside for me... even with my ParkLiner Im jazzing it up inside with wood and tile and fabric!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper