Another Playpac found - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 12:55 AM   #1

Name: doyle
Trailer: playpac
Illinois
Registry
Smile Another Playpac found

Hi, my name is Doyle my wife and I purchased our Playpac tonight July 7, 2018, I am new to this forum but I hope to get an idea of how it works. I would really like to insert a music clip for you to hear but I don't know how its the great song on Hee Haw, Gloom, dispare and agony on me

The maiden trip home late, its dark and rainy, a tire blows out, its just shreds
to pieces, it was just dry rotted from setting so many years - no spare, no jack, stores closing, flatbed tow to local Walmart auto - 2 new tires and we could resume our hour drive home 20 minutes later on a 2 lane road, our Playpac starts shaking and tried to pass us - it came unhitched from our truck - yes it was secured on -with hitch lock and chains and promptly rolled down a 50 foot embankment as I was trying to stop safely I imagined it rolling down in a free fall an just totally demolished- to my amazement 50 feet down a really steep hill, it was sitting upright, it rolled down like a stately chariot with the hitch up in the air, dragging its butt down the grass
quick to story, 911 call to state troopers (wonderful people) another flatbed called out to winch it up the hill, found out that the latch broke even though it was locked, it popped off the 2 inch ball, the stress bent the crossed chain causing them to detach from the truck, sending the Playpac free to travel on its own. LESSON LEARNED - WHEN Y0U BUY AN OLD TRAILER, BUY NEW TIRES FOR IT BEFORE YOU TAKE IT HOME, NEVER TRUST AN OLD HITCH AND ITS LATCH OR OLD SAFETY CHAINS - it BEEN A LONG AND STRESSFUL NIGHT ITS NOW 2 AM AND I AM STILL UP - I HAVE SOME GREAT PHOTOS OF OUR MAIDEN VOYAGE I WILL POST THEM GOT A GREAT SHOT OF MY WIFE AND I STANDING WITH THE TWO STATE TROOPERS WHO HELPED US. LOOKING FORWARD TO MANY MORE MEMORIES WITH THIS UNIQUE AND RARE CAMPER, REGARDS DOYLE
d.illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:53 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Lessons learned the hard way for sure but at least no one was hurt and the trailer and tow vehicle also survived. You might also want to buy new rims if they look rusty.

Now if you had joined the forum before you bought you would had access to a list with all those items that needed taking care of before you towed it home. But it is not too late to get that list out of the files and make sure you get everything on it taken care of.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:12 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Well Doyle, all of us have one trip from hell to talk about although it normally comes later in RV ownership. You got it out of the way right off the bat . Glad no one was hurt.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:07 AM   #4

Name: doyle
Trailer: playpac
Illinois
Registry
Playpac insurance?

Never owning a vintage trailer like these Playpac before how do you determine an insurance value on these units they are not easily replaced and extremely hard to find. what have other Playpac owners done to cover loss or damage
d.illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:29 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
If faced with replacing an irreplacable unit used for camping, do you think most would look to an alternative fiberglass trailer to make memories? Staying home & crying doesn't sound appealing.

Most insurance would not address the scarcity. If it did, you wouldn't want to take it out.

If it was a museum piece, they'd still have to find an alternative if they couldn't restore it. Again something similarly rare.

Exhibit A
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Holida.../183286272719?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Sure looking forward to those pictures. Glad it turned out okay and congratulations on your find.

Walt

Tags
play–pac