2018 Bigfoot 25B21RB - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
2018 Bigfoot 25B21RB

I found a used 2018 21RB in Oregon and the asking price is $38,995 (US). Does this seem like a reasonable price for a fairly new trailer?

This trailer started out in Manteca, CA, and then went to SCATT recreation near Sacramento when the Manteca dealer stopped selling Bigfoot. I was actually planning to go look at it but it sold before I could get to it. I think the last price I saw for on the website was around $49k but not sure what it actually sold for.

Pretty much anything we buy will have depreciation. I've heard that Bigfoot trailers do a pretty good job of holding their value. For a brand new 25B21FB the going price seems to be around $47,000 us. I found one in Canada that was going for $46,000 US (after conversion from Canadian Dollars).

I know that something is really worth whatever someone else is willing to pay but this seems like a pretty good price for this trailer to me. Just wanted to get an idea from folks who may have been looking at Bigfoot trailers for longer than I have.

Thanks in advance

JonR
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:57 PM   #2

California
2018 Bigfoot 25B21RB Value

No answers? Did I word my question incorrectly? Maybe if I had added "Value" to the title it would help? I'm pretty new here so not sure if I did something wrong, or if there just isn't much of an answer to my question.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:14 PM   #3

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Well, I'm not an expert, but from the little bit of looking around I've been doing at the new ones, that seems like a really good price. But only if it's worth it to you. It's not that old of a trailer so I wouldn't think there would be much to worry about with it, such as rotting floors and leaks and what-not.

I'd do a sniff test everywhere to make sure it's not musty or smoky smelling. Check the cushions for stains.

Good luck with your decision.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:01 AM   #4

Name: John & Gloria
Trailer: Bigfoot 21RB
Florida
It appears that you could buy that 1 year old trailer for about $10K less than the price of a new one. I would say that is a pretty good deal for you. The original owner taking a $10K hit in one year? That's gotta hurt. I would advise that you look closely for a reason he's willing to bite that bullet. Fiberglass repair obvious somewhere? Any sign of frame/underbelly/axle problems/damage. Bent wheels? Freshly painted metal parts? Be cautious as usual for any large purchase then use the heck out of it. You'll be Bigfoot'n soon.
Travelin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:10 PM   #5

Name: Dale
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
California
That would appear to me to be a good price for a basically new trailer. On the condition it is in like new condition and as the other posters have stated there is no damage.

I would check the serial number with Grant to be sure it is a 2018. We drove down to the Manteca RV place several times to look at the Bigfoots they had in stock when we were trying to decide on the configuration we wanted back in 2015. I remember they had a 25 RQ and a 21 RQ back then. I don't know if they ever sold one because they were a pain to deal with. We ended up buying or ordering our 25RQ from Camper Outlet in Portland, Oregon, which has since shut down because the owners retired, I think.

For example, Bigfoots that are 10 years old and been used sell for usually at least 50% of new price. A 20% discount off new price for a 2018 is a good deal. I wouldn't be afraid of it if the seller's reasons check out.
damueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by damueller View Post
That would appear to me to be a good price for a basically new trailer. On the condition it is in like new condition and as the other posters have stated there is no damage.

I would check the serial number with Grant to be sure it is a 2018. We drove down to the Manteca RV place several times to look at the Bigfoots they had in stock when we were trying to decide on the configuration we wanted back in 2015. I remember they had a 25 RQ and a 21 RQ back then. I don't know if they ever sold one because they were a pain to deal with. We ended up buying or ordering our 25RQ from Camper Outlet in Portland, Oregon, which has since shut down because the owners retired, I think.

For example, Bigfoots that are 10 years old and been used sell for usually at least 50% of new price. A 20% discount off new price for a 2018 is a good deal. I wouldn't be afraid of it if the seller's reasons check out.

Thank you for the reply! I have a deposit on it and as soon as I get the chance to go to Oregon I'll be looking at it. It is on a RV sales lot and the sales person said it is there on consignment. So I don't actually know for sure who had it before, or the reasons for selling it. The sales person says that it is perfect, no damages anywhere, everything is perfect. But what salesman wouldn't say that? I did a search on the VIN which is how I knew the history. The old ad from Manteca RV is still online showing it is a 2018. I can see in the search history that it ended up going to SCATT Recreation in Roseville. I talked to the sales guy at SCATT a few months ago and he told me they bought Manteca's Bigfoot inventory when they took over the Bigfoot sales in this area. I couldn't find the SCATT ad online anymore but google does show ads at SCATT for this trailer. Good idea asking Grant, I'll send him the VIN and see if he can tell me anything.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We’ve been looking at Bigfoots all winter and if the information , year , price and condition are as stated that is a GREAT PRICE !!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:04 PM   #8

Name: Dale
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
Thank you for the reply! I have a deposit on it and as soon as I get the chance to go to Oregon I'll be looking at it. It is on a RV sales lot and the sales person said it is there on consignment. So I don't actually know for sure who had it before, or the reasons for selling it. The sales person says that it is perfect, no damages anywhere, everything is perfect. But what salesman wouldn't say that? I did a search on the VIN which is how I knew the history. The old ad from Manteca RV is still online showing it is a 2018. I can see in the search history that it ended up going to SCATT Recreation in Roseville. I talked to the sales guy at SCATT a few months ago and he told me they bought Manteca's Bigfoot inventory when they took over the Bigfoot sales in this area. I couldn't find the SCATT ad online anymore but google does show ads at SCATT for this trailer. Good idea asking Grant, I'll send him the VIN and see if he can tell me anything.
It probably is a 2018. Sounds like you got the history. It sounds to me like it has never been used if SCATT bought the inventory and it is now on consignment in Oregon. I really wanted to buy one from Manteca but I could not get them to give me a price, they just said they would match anyone else, so I just gave up on them. Camper Outlet was great and had the best prices on this side of the Rockies. They beat the Idaho and Arizona dealers, at least at that time.

Anyway, hopefully it is as good as it sounds. That is a great price. At least you will get a discount on the California sales tax when you bring it back across the border. (DMV license fees) lol
damueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #9

California
Cross posting this from the Facebook Bigfoot page... I am heading up to Redmond Oregon tomorrow to check out the trailer below. I'll do as suggested, sniff test, look for stains, leaks, severe uneven wear on the tires, etc. I am renting an F250 since my 2017 Colorado Duramax isn't set up with tow mirrors yet, and I don't have a weight distribution hitch yet. I felt safer just renting a decent tow vehicle. Once I get the trailer home I will set up my truck, do some test runs and see how it tows. Some people say no way that truck can tow that trailer, others say it will easily tow it. I figure I'll test it out close to home and see how it feels. If it doesn't work I'll either look at a bigger truck, or resell the trailer and hope not to lose money on it. If anyone happens to be in the area of Redmond and knows a lot about Bigfoot trailers (or molded fiberglass in general) and wants to help a newbie out by taking a look at it with me, any help is greatly appreciated! (Images property of Larry's RV)

Old 04-06-2019, 05:11 PM   #10

Name: T
Arizona
Speaking from experience

I have no issues towing with my 17 canyon diesel before the WDH. Put one on and it is really rock solid. Thousands of miles towed from Colorado thru the southwest. Enjoy...
Attached Thumbnails
68FA85B1-617F-41A5-8812-D3608D230F6A.jpg  
Azfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #11

NW Wisconsin
There is only one Bigfoot 21 listed in the table “ Trailer Weights in the Real World “
The table shows 1140 lbs tongue weight
I would not hang that much weight on the back of any 1/2 ton full or midsize pickup truck
That much weight requires a class V Hitch not a class 3 or class 4 hitch which are standard on 1/2 ton trucks
Old 04-07-2019, 12:13 AM   #12

Arizona
Real Data

My 21fb weighs 4700 dry and 5500 loaded. This on a CAT scale. The loaded tongue weighs 575 pounds on a dedicated ground scale.

As to the gentleman that is looking at a Bigfoot 21rb his tongue weight dry will be around 460 dry. So very simular tongue weight.

As to the the Colorado/Canyon diesel it’s dry weight is around 4700 and 6200 at its max. With a GCWR of 12600 it has plenty of room to tow a 21 foot Bigfoot.

By the way my Canyon diesel came with a class V hitch.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:34 AM   #13

NW Wisconsin
Sounds good on paper but I would not tow a 5500 to 6000 lbs trailer with a half size pickup or with a full size 1/2 ton pickup . Whether Diesel or Gas has no affect on my decision
GVW , payload , size of brakes , suspension , tires ,wheel base does .
My truck is rated for over 10,000 lbs towing capacity and I wouldn’t attempt to tow anything that heavy . Towing my current 4500 to 5000 lb trailer with my 1/2 ton truck is at the edge of my limits
IMHO

Good Luck
Old 04-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
2002 Bigfoot 21 RB weight

Our 2002 Bigfoot 21 RB weighed in at 6,300 pounds with 2 full propane tanks and about 1/3 tank of water and ready to camp. Weight was done on certified scales. We towed with a Toyota Tundra 5.7 V 8. We have owned and towed 9 different Bigfoot trailers of various sizes.
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:02 PM   #15

California
Hi All, Thanks for all of the input. I purchased the trailer and towed it back to California. Towing with the RAM 2500 Cummins Diesel went as expected, perfectly. I am ordering the mirrors for my truck and the weight distribution hitch shortly. I'll let everyone know how she tows once I'm all set up and on the road! I should have weighed in at a CAT scale but I didn't. I will get a valid weight though.

Jon
Old 04-10-2019, 07:24 AM   #16

Arizona
Congrats

Enjoy your trailer!
Old 04-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #17

California
So here's my first tongue weight. I got the 2000lb gauge on the Sherline scale and maybe should have gotten the 1000lb gauge for better accuracy. This should be close enough for now. It is much better than trying to use a bathroom scale and 4x4s, and multiplying out based on pivot points.

This was taken centered directly under the tongue jack not the ball, so maybe add another 2-3%? This is with the trailer empty (I haven't put anything in yet), but there is 15lbs of propane in one tank and maybe .5lbs in the other (measured with a bathroom scale subtracting 21.1 tare weight of each tank). The water tanks are as follows: gray: 2/3; black: empty or near empty; fresh: 2/3 full. (the RV place I got it from said they had removed the winterization, and I took a quick shower on my way home from picking it up.

Nowhere near 1100lb, that's for sure! I will be using the Sherline scale to check the weights at each axle when I get more time. I should be able to get the total weight of the trailer that way (right?)
Attached Thumbnails
20190417_145410.jpg  
Old 04-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #18

Arizona
Weights

I purchased the same scale. It seems to be fairly repeatable.

Are your plans to run the stock toilet or composting?
Reason I ask is we converted to an airhead. I am glad to share my lack of knowledge if you are ever interested��
Old 04-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #19

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azfoot View Post
I purchased the same scale. It seems to be fairly repeatable.

Are your plans to run the stock toilet or composting?

For now I plan to leave the toilet as is. First mod will probably be solar, but we'll see.

Tags
bigfoot