Window help please! Trillium Jubilee - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #1

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Registry
Smile Window help please! Trillium Jubilee

Some nameless despicable bandit decided that they needed to break into our dear Trillium Jubilee at its supposedly secure storage. They broke through the glass in the door after first trying to jimmy the jalousie window. They got in, ransacked, and took an odd list of items: the Keurig, two travel mugs, two-thirds of a 3 piece cocktail shaker, a few small tools, and some other small items of no consequence.

The discovery of this at an inopportune time has caused us huge inconvenience. Although the old and friable plastic around the window on the door is broken, that can be fixed with either a lot of 2 part epoxy or setting in a new aluminum frame. (The plastic frame broke first: the heavy glass window fell out intact, into the trailer, and will be reused).

No, the PITA part is the jalousie. Not only is the bottom pane shattered, the aluminum frame is bent. See pic:Click image for larger version

Name:	broken jalousie window.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	90052.

Thus, I ask the FGRV community for its collective wisdom as to the best way to fix this, similar experiences, etc. Thanks very much, folks!
Pat Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Wow,
Sorry to hear that Pat.

From the picture, it appears that only one side of the lower pane is bent. Is this so?

The glass can be replaced. cut to size and tempered if need be. The window frame might be a problem or not. It might be able to be straightened enough to work fine. Alternatively you might be able to find a replacement part from another Jalousie, I see them for sale all the time.

Didn't you have an RV guru in the Niagara area?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #3

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Registry
Hi, Roy. Hope all is well.

I have had a preliminary chat with the folks in Welland. Logistics dictated that immediately upon discovering the break-in, we had to get the trailer somewhere secure before the bandits came back to do god knows what, and before the interior got further rain damage. So we lugged it off to my folks' place, and the local aluminum/glass guy is going to come out this week and see what he can do. The lack of a place to work on it is the issue.

I don't want to take it to the RV guru until is is watertight again, if at all possible, so we will see what the aluminium guy can do.

Yes, you are quite right - the frame for the broken pane is bent, as you can see in the picture.

Many thanks to the miracle of duct tape.

I neglected to measure the pane - do you know if all Trillium jalousies of that vintage are the same size?
Pat Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Thomson View Post
I neglected to measure the pane - do you know if all Trillium jalousies of that vintage are the same size?
Sorry I don't know.

I'm sending you a PM with a couple of listings on kijiji. Just in case your parts are too badly bent and you end up having to make a "Franken-Frame" by harvesting parts.

Not that I'll think you will have to, they don't look that badly bent.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have several Trillium windows. Please post a picture of the damaged section, with a measuring tape along the length of the broken piece. I suspect that Trillium used the same size components, where possible. If I have the correct length, I will send it to you.

The glass is just plain Jane glass. The thickness is important, but a piece of the broken stuff will be enough for your glass guy to figure out what is required.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium