Where to store the stinky slinky in a Parkliner? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #21

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I use a wing nut. A through hole through the cap and a smaller hole to screw in to the post.

I also deform the bottom side of the cap, heating it over the stove and then bend it slightly inward. This provides a little pressure between the cap and post easily keeping the bottom in place.
Help me out a bit here. I got a 1/4"X6" bolt and wingnut, so every time I remove the cap, I have to remove the 6" bolt. Sounds like you have a better idea, but ya know, a picture is like a 1000 words...

Got post caps this morning at Lowe's. Convertible - remove the 4-3/4" adapter and have a 5" cap. Or glue the adapter in (which I will have to do), and have 4-3/4" caps. I was just surprised to find them in Catskill.

My next challenge will be to bolt this to the battery cover such that the bolts don't come near wires or especially the battery terminals. Actually I think I could just use two bolts to hold it, and install them on the side away from the terminals. This 4-3/4" tube fits between the propane tank cover and the trailer like it was made to go there.

About all I need to do now is to flush the antifreeze out, check the tire pressure, and get a new anode for the hot water tank. First planned camping trip is more than a month away.

BTW, where should I flush the antifreeze out?

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:06 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Kind of curious as to why the fence post idea is so popular, compared to buying a ready made hose carrier. The bought ones are fairly inexpensive, no building is required, and IMO look a bit better. Just mount and go.

64" E-Z Hose Carrier- Black - Valterra A04-0153XBK - Sewer Accessories - Camping World
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:15 AM   #23

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Kind of curious as to why the fence post idea is so popular, compared to buying a ready made hose carrier. The bought ones are fairly inexpensive, no building is required, and IMO look a bit better. Just mount and go.

64" E-Z Hose Carrier- Black - Valterra A04-0153XBK - Sewer Accessories - Camping World
When mine is finished, it will blend in nicely. The short one one on my trailer now (like the one you posted) started out white just 3 years ago and has faded to a dull yellow. It looks sick. I wouldn't know where to put a 64" one either. I much prefer the idea of mounting this to the top of my battery box. No more holes in the egg.

Plus I enjoy making things, always have. For instance, I built a hot rod from scratch years ago. Coulda just went out and bought one. Nope, built my own. Same with this. Custom!

Certainly there is a big market out there for stuff to just buy and bolt on. Go for it!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #24

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Frank
In each case my tube was sitting on the frame and I strapped it to the frame with two cable ties at each end. I didn't run the ties around the tube. Instead I drilled two holes in the bottom surface of the tube for each strap and ran the ties inside the tube and around the frame. That made for a much neater looking install where the ties/straps did not show from the outside and shorter ties were needed. Later I discovered the stainless steel cable ties at Lowes and used those. The holes also provided drainage.
Sorry I can't provide a picture since I no longer have those trailers.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:43 AM   #25

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I to enjoy the rewards of building and doing things, and have done so all my life. In fact it is what I do for a living. So, I do understand that reasoning. I guess for me it comes down to having to make a choice in what I take on, as I easily have two lifetimes of projects ahead of me I could do, and I want to spend some of it camping.

I just picked a random length to post too, there is also 46" and 26" available as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:46 AM   #26

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Frank
I'm not clear on why/how you are screwing it to the battery box. Since the tube was sitting on the frame, I used two cable ties on each end to strap it to the frame. At first I used regular plastic cable ties and had no problems, but by the time I bought the Parkliner I had discovered the stainless steel cable ties at Lowes and used those.
Sorry, but I can't provide pictures since I no longer have an example to photograph.

Walt
I have no better place to put it Walt. Did your Parkliner have the new battery box? There's no room anywhere else, unless I want to buy one of those things Jim suggested and mount it to the side of the trailer. Things are tight enough up front anyways, but I only access that battery box a few times a year, and it's easy to remove (once the propane tank cover and propane tanks are removed). I can't find a better place to put it, but I am sure open to suggestions. Where I have it now will be handy.

Thanks,

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #27

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I to enjoy the rewards of building and doing things, and have done so all my life. In fact it is what I do for a living. So, I do understand that reasoning. I guess for me it comes down to having to make a choice in what I take on, as I easily have two lifetimes of projects ahead of me I could do, and I want to spend some of it camping.

I just picked a random length to post too, there is also 46" and 26" available as well.
My tube is exactly the correct length Jim, one of the benefits to making my own. Out first planned camping trip is mid-June, so time is not a factor. I too have a lot of projects, but enjoy making my egg a better egg!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-07-2015, 08:02 AM   #28

SW Virginia
My Parkliner was an early one with the batteries inside so no battery box. I guess a frame mount won't work for you. Too bad, but at least you have the storage space. That was one of the things I didn't like about the Parkliner.
Two big, necessary changes to the Parkliner in my mind were batteries on the tongue and roof mounted AC. Together they take care of the lack of storage I found on mine.

Walt

P.S. Sorry about the duplicated posts aboved. A glitch on my computer.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #29

New York
Quote:
My Parkliner was an early one with the batteries inside so no battery box. I guess a frame mount won't work for you. Too bad, but at least you have the storage space. That was one of the things I didn't like about the Parkliner.
Two big, necessary changes to the Parkliner in my mind were batteries on the tongue and roof mounted AC. Together they take care of the lack of storage I found on mine.

Walt

P.S. Sorry about the duplicated posts aboved. A glitch on my computer.
Our Parkliner is an early one too Walt, we think #006. At great expense to us last year, our Parkliner went back to the factory for their new battery box. It's sleek and all, but hard to access without removing the propane tanks. We now have that storage space inside.

I wish Parkliner would offer details on their new roof mount AC, but that sort of customer support is not their bag. It would make so much more sense to have AC on the roof!

The other thing that is annoying is that there are no outside access compartments like we had on our sticky of the same size years ago. That is why I wanted an outside storage space on or attached to the trailer for the stinky slinky. The fence post just fit, and is not under the trailer, hard to access and/or prone to being struck.

When I get it finished, I will post some more pics.

Thanks,

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Help me out a bit here. I got a 1/4"X6" bolt and wingnut, so every time I remove the cap, I have to remove the 6" bolt. Sounds like you have a better idea, but ya know, a picture is like a 1000 words...

Got post caps this morning at Lowe's. Convertible - remove the 4-3/4" adapter and have a 5" cap. Or glue the adapter in (which I will have to do), and have 4-3/4" caps. I was just surprised to find them in Catskill.

My next challenge will be to bolt this to the battery cover such that the bolts don't come near wires or especially the battery terminals. Actually I think I could just use two bolts to hold it, and install them on the side away from the terminals. This 4-3/4" tube fits between the propane tank cover and the trailer like it was made to go there.

About all I need to do now is to flush the antifreeze out, check the tire pressure, and get a new anode for the hot water tank. First planned camping trip is more than a month away.

BTW, where should I flush the antifreeze out?

Frank
I'll post a picture this afternoon.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:18 AM   #31

New York
Quote:
I'll post a picture this afternoon.
Sounds good. I was thinking about small latches too, one on each side?

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-07-2015, 08:32 AM   #32

SW Virginia
Early on I had a friend who hated the long bolt and wingnut cap attachment while I thought it worked well. Then I got to see his. He had them positioned horizontally while mine were vertical. Inserting the bolt from the bottom I could easily see to line it up while his required a contortionist. BTW I also had two fender washers on mine to avoid wear on the holes.
The only disadvantage I could see was the possibility of losing a piece since none of it was attached. Fortunately I never did.

Walt
Old 05-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #33

New York
Quote:
Early on I had a friend who hated the long bolt and wingnut cap attachment while I thought it worked well. Then I got to see his. He had them positioned horizontally while mine were vertical. Inserting the bolt from the bottom I could easily see to line it up while his required a contortionist. BTW I also had two fender washers on mine to avoid wear on the holes.
The only disadvantage I could see was the possibility of losing a piece since none of it was attached. Fortunately I never did.

Walt
Great idea Walt, as I was going to do mine horizontal. Actually I am waiting with baited breath to see what Norm & Ginny did. No big deal, as I am still a working stiff and won't be home till 4:30 anyways. I still think side latches would work well if I could just find the right thing. Hmmm...

Thanks,

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-07-2015, 10:15 AM   #34

SW Virginia
Frank
The benefit of latches would be that there are no loose parts to lose. If you come up with one I'll be interested.

Walt
Old 05-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #35

Florida
Frank,
Here's two pictures of my end caps. ( I don't know how I doubled the first one)

The first picture shows my two pipes. The one at the right has a permanent Screw because I never open that end, the second has a wing screw, without a nut. It is about an inch long. I Drill a clearance hole for the screw through the edge of the cap. I put the cap on the post and drill a hole through the clearance hole into the post. The diameter of the hole through the post is less than the diameter of the wing screw. The wing screw threads into the plastic post.

We've used it for a couple of years without issue.

I used these same caps on another trailer. Note there's a hole thru the center of the cap. I used to run a knotted cord thru there tied off in the post to keep the cap from getting lost. Seemed unnecessary.

Part of one side of the cap is gone because it was used differently on a previous trailer.

Note the bottom edge of the cap, it's not a straight edge. I slightly deformed this edge by heating and bending it inward. (it doesn't take a lot of heat, just near the flameheat) The bent edge easily keeps the bottom on tightly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1431018987975.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	83688Click image for larger version

Name:	1431018987975.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	83688
Attached Thumbnails
1431019000975.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #36

New York
Quote:
Frank,
Here's two pictures of my end caps.
The first picture shows my two pipes. The one at the right has a permanent Screw because I never open that end, the second has a wing screw, without a nut. It is about an inch long. I Drill a clearance hole for the screw through the edge of the cap. I put the cap on the post and drill a hole through the clearance hole into the post. The diameter of this hole is less than the diameter of the wing screw. The wing screw threads into the plastic post.

We've used it for a couple of years without issue.

I used these same caps on another trailer. Note there's a hole thru the center of the cap. I used to run a knotted cord thru there tied off in the post to keep the cap from getting lost. Seemed unnecessary.

Part of one side of the cap is gone because it was used differently on a previous trailer.

Note the bottom edge of the cap, note that it's not a straight edge. I slightly deformed this edge by heating and bending it inward. (it doesn't take a lot of heat, just near the flameheat) the end easily keeps the bottom on.
Nice job, and a great idea too (I would expect no less). A wing screw huh? Never heard of that or seen one before, but I'll take a look. Off to the local hardware store after work to get two propane tanks filled, and will ask.

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #37

Florida
Quote:
Nice job, and a great idea too (I would expect no less). A wing screw huh? Never heard of that or seen one before, but I'll take a look. Off to the local hardware store after work to get two propane tanks filled, and will ask.

Thanks!

Frank
Lowes and Home Depot have them, usually in their pull out drawers in the hardware aisle. Those drawers are fun to go through.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #38

New York
Quote:
Lowes and Home Depot have them, usually in their pull out drawers in the hardware aisle. Those drawers are fun to go through.
Yes they are. The hardware store I'm heading for after work is a local hometown kind of hardware store. Great place to go, even with Lowe's and Home Depot here in town. They beat everybody around for propane prices.

If they don't have them, Lowe's is just down the street. That's where I got the post caps this morning. Actually I may have something in my personal hardware collection at home...

More later.

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 05-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #39

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

I put a SS hinge and clip (from a marine store) on the end caps of the fence post for the slinky hose. Happy with it & in two years of travel since doing it, it has not popped open even on rough roads. Just need to really plan it out before installing the hardware to make sure it does not end up so loose that that clip could pop open on its own. I had to trim/cut out small bits of the PRV on the cap as well as the fence post, in order to do that though.

BTW the PO of my trailer had added a large PVC round pipe to the front of the trailer in the same post you have put yours, but they put it below the tongue frame - it was hardly noticeable there. I left it there for a number of years of travel and it never hit ground or scraped on anything and it was a few inches wider/closer to the ground than the fence post your are using would be.
Attached Thumbnails
Slinky hose holder.jpg   slinky hose holder2.jpg  

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #40

New York
Nice job Carol. Very professional looking.

Anywhere I look under my trailer for a place to put this holder is a problem. I would prefer it to be near the tank in the back, but anywhere I look there is obstruction. Where I have it seems to be the best place, and probably easiest on my back. I'll take another look tonight. Nothing is fastened yet.

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006

Tags
parkliner