Price Comparison: Scamp, Casita, Escape - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #21

All good information to consider. I guess everyone feels different about each one.
Not that this is a factor when buying new but down the road when you upgrade or Chang plans. How would demand and resale value fit in to the picture?
It's my understanding the Casita's sell like hot cakes.
I knew the minute I stepped in a Casita Spirit Delux 17' yes this was it.
Sincerely,
Ranger100

PS: Crazy, but getting gas in TX a little bit after pickup I had someone stop me and ask if i "wanted to sell" the Casita' !
ranger100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger100 View Post
It's my understanding the Casita's sell like hot cakes.
All brands of all molded towables are this way, even the orphan brands. The standard line when looking to buy used, You Snooze, You Lose
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaandPat View Post
For me this purchase is a lot of money . My house only cost me 25,500 . It now is worth close to a half million . The construction for your money is far superior in the Escapes which will translate to holding up better . It's your money . I work too hard for mine to not take that into consideration putting this much money out there . Pat
I work too hard to spend money if it does not really provide a return. It may, or may not be worth it from a purely longevity standpoint to spend more for an Escape. I doubt that it is. I would like to have an Escape, but because they build a model that I feel suits my needs that others do not, the 19.

I equate this to metal roofs on houses. I have worked construction my whole life and built several houses for myself. I have run the numbers on metal roofs and have never found them to add up. Two houses ago, I figured the cost of a metal roof doing the labor myself vs. paying someone to put on good 30 year architectural shingles. The metal was enough higher that if I put the difference in the bank I could easily pay someone else to put another shingle roof on in 25 years. Dang I hate working for nothing or a negative return!

I got my Scamp with 26 years on it. The only structural issues were a cracked frame and all the rivets needing replacing. I have repaired and reinforced the frame and started on the rivets. Buy what you like, can afford, and actually lay hands on and get out camping!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I believe the 10 per cent reference is to Scamp and the 11-month wait reference is to Escape.
my bad, sure looks like you're right!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaandPat View Post
For me this purchase is a lot of money . My house only cost me 25,500 . It now is worth close to a half million . The construction for your money is far superior in the Escapes which will translate to holding up better . It's your money . I work too hard for mine to not take that into consideration putting this much money out there . Pat
I don't see "superior", but I do see getting something you like at a price you can afford. Escapes are too large for me to enjoy the experience of traveling in one, and after only eleven years I am still happy to compare the construction of my Scamp with a new Escape.

History proves that your money is safe in any fiberglass trailer. Fact is, there are no Escapes old enough to judge whether it will hold up better, at least not by fiberglass standards.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

History proves that your money is safe in any fiberglass trailer. Fact is, there are no Escapes old enough to judge whether it will hold up better, at least not by fiberglass standards.
True, although there are a number of 17's that are now 10 or 11 years old and one I have spent a fair amount of time camping with appears to still be brand new.

The only issue I am aware of one 10 year old Escape I know ever having was just a few weeks ago and it was a simple matter of a hose to the water pump having become loose and dripping. The good news was due to the great design of the trailer with its fiberglass floor with weep holes built into it, the water dripping down to the outside of the trailer from the weep hole was noticed right away, alerting the owner to the fact they had a water leak problem. So no floor or other damage done, unlike some other fiberglass trailers with wood floors and no floor weep holes that allow small hose leaks to go unnoticed for a long time causing serious damage.

Suspect the odds of the Escape living up to other fiberglass brand standards of life are looking pretty darn good.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #27

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Where did you get 11 months? Not true according to my sources at Scamp.
I was discussing Escape. The last I saw on their web site, they were taking orders for the next available delivery date of Last of May, early June of 2016.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:55 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
True, although there are a number of 17's that are now 10 or 11 years old and one I have spent a fair amount of time camping with appears to still be brand new.

The only issue I am aware of one 10 year old Escape I know ever having was just a few weeks ago and it was a simple matter of a hose to the water pump having become loose and dripping. The good news was due to the great design of the trailer with its fiberglass floor with weep holes built into it, the water dripping down to the outside of the trailer from the weep hole was noticed right away, alerting the owner to the fact they had a water leak problem. So no floor or other damage done, unlike some other fiberglass trailers with wood floors and no floor weep holes that allow small hose leaks to go unnoticed for a long time causing serious damage.

Suspect the odds of the Escape living up to other fiberglass brand standards of life are looking pretty darn good.
My Scamp is eleven years old and in excellent shape.
While I don't really think chronic neglect is the trailer's problem I have owned a few that were more than 30 years old and still solid.

I did see a Trillium with the wood floor rotted in spite of its being encapsulated in fiberglass and drains in the corners. That makes for a real mess. The Trillium is the closest thing I can find to an Escape ancestor.
While everything put together sooner or later falls apart, we both have products which are easy to maintain for a lifetime.
I do agree with your last sentence above, the odds of the Escape living up to Fiberglass standards looks pretty darned good!
As for being "superior"... that's either very subjective or premature at this point.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:14 PM   #29

I'm one of those lucky people. I'm an all-molded-towable trailer hoarder. I currently have both a 16' Scamp and an Escape 5.0TA

Will I have more fun camping in my Escape than I did in my Scamp? Not a chance. When you're having a ton of fun, how can you have more fun?

What it means to me, is I get 7 more feet of living space, no more totes! Nothing jammed under the dinette/bed, nothing to get out of the tug, everything in it's place. I've earned it, I deserve it.

Build? Yeah, those 24 through hull rivets and snap caps in the Scamp just to hang curtains that are a maintenance issue drives me nutz. The Escape ZERO.

But it still gets back to... needs and wants.

Love the one you're with!
Old 07-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm one of those lucky people. I'm an all-molded-towable trailer hoarder. I currently have both a 16' Scamp and an Escape 5.0TA

Will I have more fun camping in my Escape than I did in my Scamp? Not a chance. When you're having a ton of fun, how can you have more fun?

What it means to me, is I get 7 more feet of living space, no more totes! Nothing jammed under the dinette/bed, nothing to get out of the tug, everything in it's place. I've earned it, I deserve it.

Build? Yeah, those 24 through hull rivets and snap caps in the Scamp just to hang curtains that are a maintenance issue drives me nutz. The Escape ZERO.

But it still gets back to... needs and wants.

Love the one you're with!
As a child I went to a lot of different schools and I found that what ever was found to be different was the object of scorn and ridicule, like wearing glasses or having red hair. It is convenient to pick a proven feature which is not included in one brand and use it to claim overall superiority, like through the hull fasteners.
When I moved to the north, my accent was ridiculed, but the bullies soon found out that it was what I said that mattered more than the accent, which faded overtime anyway...

I consider the Escape to be a fine product among peers, but I wonder if the Oliver owners might send the Escape owners running for hair dye and contacts!
Old 07-26-2015, 07:53 PM   #31

Quote:
I consider the Escape to be a fine product among peers, but I wonder if the Oliver owners might send the Escape owners running for hair dye!
That's entirely possible Floyd. But, I like my gray hair... earned those too.

Oliver? Not me, it only took two all-molded-towables to find the build type and layout that will work long term for me.

As I said, love the one you're with and make a ton of memories

It's all good.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:13 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
As a gentleman recently told me: It's not about which trailer you get, it's about the experience you have while using it. You can't make a bad choice. This is so true in many endeavors, we sometimes get stuck on the equipment instead of the experience - especially when we are new.
I totally agree about this. Our trailers are just tools that afford us a comfortable stay while out enjoying life. The real camping happens outside the trailer, not matter the manufacturer, the size, or the options it has.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #33
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
If Casita made a 21 ft. trailer I'd probably buy one.

But they don't.

We have an Escape 21 on order. Can hardly wait... and hope we love it at least as much as we have enjoyed the Casitas we have camped in these last 18 years.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:09 PM   #34

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I totally agree about this. Our trailers are just tools that afford us a comfortable stay while out enjoying life. The real camping happens outside the trailer, not matter the manufacturer, the size, or the options it has.
Very true, although my little old Scamp comes up short on a number of key items I have on my must have list for my future trailer it has given me many great trips and memories and it will actually be a sad day when we part ways.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:31 PM   #35

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
The extra insulation in the Escape sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Could you give us a comparison?

Thanks in advance
Kevin in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:47 PM   #36

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I work too hard to spend money if it does not really provide a return. It may, or may not be worth it from a purely longevity standpoint to spend more for an Escape. I doubt that it is. I would like to have an Escape, but because they build a model that I feel suits my needs that others do not, the 19.

I equate this to metal roofs on houses. I have worked construction my whole life and built several houses for myself. I have run the numbers on metal roofs and have never found them to add up. Two houses ago, I figured the cost of a metal roof doing the labor myself vs. paying someone to put on good 30 year architectural shingles. The metal was enough higher that if I put the difference in the bank I could easily pay someone else to put another shingle roof on in 25 years. Dang I hate working for nothing or a negative return!

I got my Scamp with 26 years on it. The only structural issues were a cracked frame and all the rivets needing replacing. I have repaired and reinforced the frame and started on the rivets. Buy what you like, can afford, and actually lay hands on and get out camping!
I also worked construction . I was a union carpenter . I also do a lot for myself . My money goes farther that way . When I spend money I want value . I totally understand where you are coming from . The Escape offers a lot more room for your money . I do have the 19 and love that nice big bed . Just look at all the pro's and con's and make the decision that is right for you . There is no wrong decision if it is right for you . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:06 AM   #37

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in Denver View Post
The extra insulation in the Escape sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. Could you give us a comparison?

Thanks in advance
If you are asking for a comparison in price, the second set of numbers I gave included the extra insulation and dual pane windows. That is an $800 dollar option.

If you are asking for a comparison of what the actual "extra" insulation entails, I do not know. I have not gotten that far in the process, but is something I would definitely ask about before actually ordering it.

Give them a call would be the best option. 1-855-703-1650 (Toll Free) While you are at it, ask them for a price list, then you can figure out a price exactly as you would like it configured. Just remember to take into account the current exchange rate - but keep in mind, that is always fluctuating so may not hold.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:16 AM   #38

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Headlines,,,,

Everyone is dying at 75 and we're 95 and 100, worrying about who will live the longest.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:47 AM   #39

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I was shocked that the Escape, as I would like it, was less than $3000 more than the similar Casita. I included the better insulation and double pane windows, two six volt battery package, and a 150 watt solar package in that configuration. Plus, the Escape comes standard with an awning, the others did not include one. I'm amazed, and very pleasantly surprised .

A point I have made to several Casita owners when they toured my trailer at a rally. Some folks are shocked when you tell them this.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-31-2015, 10:58 AM   #40

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Ordered a new escape

We initially started out looking for either a Casita or Scamp. When we found this forum, that is when we found out about Escape, Parkliner, Oliver, etc. Even though they build the Oliver only about an hour from us, we could immediately scratch them due to cost and trailer weight. When we emailed Parkliner for an info packet, we never got a response. When we emailed Escape, they responded with the requested info right away. Same with Casita and Scamp, they were very responsive. But when we started comparing apples to apples, and taking into account the Canadian to US exchange rate, we determined that Escape was the best fit for us. And in US dollars, the Casita that we would have ordered came in a little over 19K, while a similarly equipped Escape was around 20K.

So due to that great exchange rate, we decided to buy now, so yesterday placed or order for a 2016 17B. Or build date is August 3, 2016. And even though they only required a $500 down payment, our current thinking is that we are going to go ahead and pay them most of what we will owe now rather than later to make sure that we get that rate.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, escape, scamp