I Will Always Miss Our Oliver Elite II - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II 23' 6"
New York
I Will Always Miss Our Oliver Elite II

Since I reluctantly sold our 2015 Oliver Elite II last fall, I have regretted it everyday since it left the driveway. It met my needs but in the end my wife wanted a bigger bathroom & a larger sitting eating area. I suppose having two cats underfoot did not help. So still determined to purchase a highend 22-24' towable that would be doable with the wifey & the cats I got the blessing to purchase a new 2016 Airstream Sport Bambi 22FB(frontbed) this past week but only after she saw that the bathroom/shower area was twice the size of the Oliver with having a seating/eating area for four instead of two. One can really not compare the two, it would be comparing apples to oranges. The only thing they really both have in common are, they both carry a hefty price tag. A few pros & cons that went thru my mind as I looked over the sales contract for the Airstream. The pro's with the Airstream : I negotiated 15 percent off the MRSP, which made me feel better about the price & being able to drive less than 30 min. to pick it up in a few days was also a plus. Having a dealer that close is great. Being a little over a 1,000 lbs lighter than the Oliver with the 21" 8 frame(shorter than the Oliver) & having a inside cabin about a foot longer giving a larger bath/shower area & a seating/eating space for four instead of two. Also more counter space. Having dealers all over the world to service & fix any problems was also a plus. For the cons against the Airstream : more upkeep with the aluminum skin of the Airstream which is prone to erosion from the salted roads here in the north east. With this model( Sport 22F) the double pane windows are not an option, I really liked the double pane windows in the Oliver. With so many built & being built it does not have that one of a kind custom build appeal , giving what I think a less re-sale value than the Olivers ........ Well thats it folks. Will it work for my wife & two cats ? I hope but if I ever wake up to find that my wife left me for another and took the Airstream with her, I would have another Oliver on order as soon as I could get to the phone unless she took that also.
John Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
John, we wish you well. Please join the AirForum. Same kind folks over there as here. I DO understand the need for more space. I LOVE my 16 Scamp... so many great memories, but the wrong layout and not enough storage for long term comfort. So... I stuck with all-molded, but that is not your (current) future.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:51 PM   #3

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
John, we wish you well. Please join the AirForum. Same kind folks over there as here. I DO understand the need for more space. I LOVE my 16 Scamp... so many great memories, but the wrong layout and not enough storage for long term comfort. So... I stuck with all-molded, but that is not your (current) future.

Thanks Donna.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I can see where the larger dinette and wider body of an Airstream might be more appealing to some.

We had a neighbor at Glacier with an Airstream. She took a tour of our Oliver (twice) and started calculating how much she could get for her Airstream to put toward an Oliver. She loved the fit and finish of the Oliver as well as all the storage. And while at Yellowstone a few members of the Airstream group that were touring stopped by to check out our Oliver and stated that it was a trailer that could give Airstream a run for their money. A nice group of people and there's a camaraderie like that in the fiberglass community.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:00 AM   #5

New York
Hi Marsha .... I agree there is so much to like about the Oliver : outside finish almost maintenance free, all aluminum frame, the double wall construction with the double pain windows with those really nice window shades. The only really negative thing is the lack of authorized Oliver dealers nation wide to service them if need be, but that would add thousands of dollars to the sticker price. I definitely think Oliver is the clear winner in the current $40,000 to $50,000 price tag range when compared to the new Airstreams selling at the same price point. Where Airstream really shines is when you get into their much heavier high end 25' plus sizes. If Oliver was able to go that extra 5 to 10' in length that would really shake up the higher end RV market, a luxury yacht on wheels..... now that would be the perfect towable
Old 01-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here's my take on the Airstream and what I MAINLY did not like about the interior...and that's the aluminum skin. I felt like I was inside a high-class walk-in "freezer". The Oliver (and other FG's) to me are more welcoming and bright with the "white" interior. Wife and I didnt know HOW we would respond to the Scamp's "ratfur". But after 6 yrs ownership (buying new), we LOVE it! She didnt like the Casita "carpet" on the walls but this ratfur (Marine Upholstery) has proven to be "cozy" and garnered alot of compliments.

Just my $.02 for the day.... I DO like the Airstream's availability etc. And I like neither of the Oliver's or AS price tags! But between the two? I'd choose Oliver any day over the Airstream.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Your wife's opinion was almost word-for-word what I told Kevin about the Oliver we saw. Don't get me wrong; I loved it. I love our Uhaul with its smooth walls, and the Oliver was like that only much larger. I, however, was thinking of a place where I would feel comfortable for a longer length of time in the winter when we retire, and I just wanted a camper with separate living and sleeping spaces. So, we bought the Bigfoot. Of course, I have yet to see it in person; Kevin flew to Oregon to see it, but I did not go to save money. We pick it up in April, and I will have my separate living and dining spaces, and hopefully, no cats underfoot all the time .

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We are in agreement with your wife on the table. We really enjoy having a friend or two come over for a cup of coffee or to play cards in the evening. (We also insist on sleeping together in the same bed, so the twin-bed arrangement of the Oliver would also take it out of consideration for us.)
DSDF
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #9

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Your wife's opinion was almost word-for-word what I told Kevin about the Oliver we saw. Don't get me wrong; I loved it. I love our Uhaul with its smooth walls, and the Oliver was like that only much larger. I, however, was thinking of a place where I would feel comfortable for a longer length of time in the winter when we retire, and I just wanted a camper with separate living and sleeping spaces. So, we bought the Bigfoot. Of course, I have yet to see it in person; Kevin flew to Oregon to see it, but I did not go to save money. We pick it up in April, and I will have my separate living and dining spaces, and hopefully, no cats underfoot all the time .

CindyL
Hi Cindy, I have been in & looked at some Bigfoots. Great choice. They are Canada's Oliver, with a little squarer look maybe even better. Surely another High End Trailer in every way. We actually were going to order one the year before our Oliver , but decided not to due to the long distance between us on the east coast & the dealer out west that quoted us a price. At that time I was also worried about the lack of dealers close to us for service. Your right, if I were to be using a trailer in cold weather most of the time I would want to be in a Bigfoot. One of their great selling points I liked was the option to have a generator on board. Good luck. Even though currently I no longer have a Fiberglass trailer I will be looking & reading the post here, sure would like to see some pictures.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #10

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
We are in agreement with your wife on the table. We really enjoy having a friend or two come over for a cup of coffee or to play cards in the evening. (We also insist on sleeping together in the same bed, so the twin-bed arrangement of the Oliver would also take it out of consideration for us.)
DSDF
Hi Ray, One of the reasons I opted for a twin bed design was because of my wife's loud snoring. The open distance between the beds did not make it go away but helped. Now with the Airstream fixed bed design I am going to have to adapt or move to the table area.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
DSDF
The larger Oliver is also available with a single large bed. But not with a 4-person dinette, too. For that you'd have to look at Escape or Bigfoot if you wanted to stick with molded fiberglass.

A trailer like the Bigfoot 28' is more of a "home-away-from-home," with separate indoor spaces for different activities- sleeping, eating, lounging. The Oliver Elite II is like a "land yacht." Compact, with flexible-use spaces and more focus on the outdoors. As with a sailboat, social gatherings are probably going to happen on deck, not in the cabin. It's a different mindset, I think.

It's always hard when a husband and wife have somewhat different mindsets. I respect the OP's difficult decision to accommodate the needs of his wife.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:14 PM   #12

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Here's my take on the Airstream and what I MAINLY did not like about the interior...and that's the aluminum skin. I felt like I was inside a high-class walk-in "freezer". The Oliver (and other FG's) to me are more welcoming and bright with the "white" interior. Wife and I didnt know HOW we would respond to the Scamp's "ratfur". But after 6 yrs ownership (buying new), we LOVE it! She didnt like the Casita "carpet" on the walls but this ratfur (Marine Upholstery) has proven to be "cozy" and garnered alot of compliments.

Just my $.02 for the day.... I DO like the Airstream's availability etc. And I like neither of the Oliver's or AS price tags! But between the two? I'd choose Oliver any day over the Airstream.
Hi Darral, I agree that's one of the great appeals of the Fiberglass trailers ratfur or not that I liked. With the Airstream I do not mind the interior skin, though I would prefer it covered. As far as my wife, well her last comment she made last night regarding picking up the Airstream tomorrow was I am still on the fence regarding the aluminum walls & I am thinking well if its buyer remorse all over again at least maybe I will finally get her to take that 3 month trip out west to see all the Parks with a surprise trip to pickup a Bigfoot trailer fully loaded..
Old 01-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
She snores, she makes you trade away the trailer you like... and you stay with her. That's true love! (Some folks are fickle enough nowadays to dump the wife and keep the trailer.) Tell her you have extra hugs coming.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #14

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The larger Oliver is also available with a single large bed. But not with a 4-person dinette, too. For that you'd have to look at Escape or Bigfoot if you wanted to stick with molded fiberglass.

A trailer like the Bigfoot 28' is more of a "home-away-from-home," with separate indoor spaces for different activities- sleeping, eating, lounging. The Oliver Elite II is like a "land yacht." Compact, with flexible-use spaces and more focus on the outdoors. As with a sailboat, social gatherings are probably going to happen on deck, not in the cabin. It's a different mindset, I think.

It's always hard when a husband and wife have somewhat different mindsets. I respect the OP's difficult decision to accommodate the needs of his wife.
Hi Jon, You got that right when it comes to the husband & wife's mindset. We have been married 44 years & we could not be more different in most every way except for our devoted love for each other. Yes, if I were single I would be living a very different nomad existence. They say opposite's attract & that could not be more true than our 44 yr journey together. I do know I am happier with her than without, even if in the end I end up in a trailer that would not have been my first choice.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #15

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
She snores, she makes you trade away the trailer you like... and you stay with her. That's true love! (Some folks are fickle enough nowadays to dump the wife and keep the trailer.) Tell her you have extra hugs coming.
Mike , I am going to want more than a hug
Old 01-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wall coverings????

I always enjoy the reason's for choosing a specific brand/model, sometimes quite humorous, like twin beds for snoring separation or wall covering discussions.

Though the kids have jokingly told me I snore on occasion, particularly on the couch when napping, Ginny has never mentioned I snore. Though I have lost a high percentage of my hair she never has mentioned my baldness. I've asked her why she has never mentioned my baldness. It turns out she sees me as a 16 year old, simply still in youthful love. Ginny lets the beauty overwhelm the ugly.

We've now had all kinds of wall coverings in our rigs and not one of them has effected our travels. Certainly everyone should select the trailer they find most accommodating, unfortunately it's a losing battle.

I have friends on their third '2 foot longer trailer', waiting for the next '2 foot longer trailer'. I measure trailers (and their owners) not by their length, wall coverings or the size of their beds but rather where they have been, how many miles on they have spent on the road.

I don't mean to criticize anyone, just providing a perspective. I loved every RV we had for where 'it' took us. The motorhome had a walk around queen bed, the Scamp a 44" wide bed, neither made a difference in the joys of 'our' travels.

Of course everyone's different. For us the joys of travel overwhelm all over factors.

Joyful travels to all..

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #17

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
nice Norm
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole View Post
Will it work for my wife & two cats ? I hope but if I ever wake up to find that my wife left me for another and took the Airstream with her, I would have another Oliver on order as soon as I could get to the phone unless she took that also.
Thanks John for the giggle... those of us who have been in a relationships for years can relate well to your situation/problem.

While I am sure you will miss your old trailer greatly there is an old saying that fits this situation well. Love the one your with!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #19

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Thanks John for the giggle... those of us who have been in a relationships for years can relate well to your situation/problem.

While I am sure you will miss your old trailer greatly there is an old saying that fits this situation well. Love the one your with!!
Hi Carol .. That's one of the things she said had endured in our relationship over the years, the ability to still make each other laugh.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:44 PM   #20

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
My hubby snores. Now, in fairness, so do I, but I believe only when I fall asleep against the reading pillow. Hubby can snore all night. While our Silver Cloud has single beds, he reports that it has a good-sized sleeping couch in the living room, so if he is "raising the roof" (hope no leaks!), I can retreat there.
I am having an h*** of a time uploading images here, so sorry. I think that the forum is either Windows-centric or needs to upgrade software. I use a Mac. And, the trailer is no longer featured on the rvoutletonline site, so I can't add a link. Oops, that is because it is purchased, us.

We will have the Silver Cloud at the Bardstown Bourbon rally, since we are rally leaders there. My ancestor had a still that became part of Jim Beam, and we are Maker's Mark ambassadors, so we visited there last summer and decided it was a great place for a rally.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver