Oliver camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Oliver camper

What a great looking fiberglass RV
Legacy Elite II Travel Trailer | Oliver Travel Trailers
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #2

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hey Darwin,

I would like a his and her set!

Take care,

Dean
Old 02-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
What a heavy trailer.....which is why I didn't buy one. From Specifications:

GVWR
7,000 lbs.

Dry Weight (approximate)
4,600 lbs.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:58 PM   #4

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Charlie Y,

They are made from white gold, which explains the weight!

Hey, I see you have an Escape 21'. Love that floorplan!

Take care,

Dean
Old 02-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Upsized from a Casita 17LD when we both retired and the Ollie was just too heavy; didn't want to buy a big truck to pull it.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Heavy because of the double wall I suspect. They make both a tandem wheel and single axle models.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Plus...they are a big user of "stainless steel"....no rust. I realize their frame is aluminum. They're built about 30 miles from me. They're basically a fiberglass "Airstream". But they DO look good inside and out!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #8

Name: david
Trailer: shopping for an Oliver
New York
The Olie II weighs about what a 22' airstream does, maybe even liter. Cant compare to a stick build.
Louisless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:37 AM   #9

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
Oliver Legacy Elte

We recently received our 2017 18.5' Legacy Elite 1 from the Oliver Plant in Hohenwald. I chose the single axle for weight reasons (1000#s less than the LEII) not to mention that we fit very well in the floor plan. We wanted an easy towing TT that was structurally sound and offered us 4 seasons of camping. After testing all of the systems, we are very pleased with this Ollie and feel very confident in going about anywhere with it.
Cheers,
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:44 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Heavy because of the double wall I suspect. They make both a tandem wheel and single axle models.
Burro andTrillium are just a couple of examples of double wall construction which are really no heavier than their single walled counterparts.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Upsized from a Casita 17LD when we both retired and the Ollie was just too heavy; didn't want to buy a big truck to pull it.
We really like the quality , fit and finish and smart engineering of the Oliver Elite ll .
The price is kind of steep but Oliver doesn't cut corners like some other high end FG trailers . When you add up the cost of an Oliver along with a 3/4 ton truck , you end up with a very sizeable investment. Something to ponder and dream about on a cold Winters night.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:47 AM   #12

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We really like the quality , fit and finish and smart engineering of the Oliver Elite ll .
The price is kind of steep but Oliver doesn't cut corners like some other high end FG trailers . When you add up the cost of an Oliver along with a 3/4 ton truck , you end up with a very sizeable investment. Something to ponder and dream about on a cold Winters night.
Hi Steve I have been dreaming of Oliver since the day I saw my first one . Wow so happy I can mention Oliver ! Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If I follow the logic of many , an Oliver is too heavy only because their present tow vehicle is inadequate . By that reasoning if I owned a VW bug and could not tow a 13 ft Scamp , it's the fault of Scamp .
I have never chosen what FG trailer to buy based on the vehicle I own. If I bought an Oliver, then I need to have an adequate tow vehicle. If my present 1/2 ton truck was incapable of towing an Oliver , it's not the fault of the vehicle manufacturer or Oliver.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:00 AM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
The Oliver double wall construction with four actual pieces is really a huge advantage. The insulation is a big one, but it also means the tanks and tank plumbing are fully contained between the inner and outer bottom shells. This keeps them safer from freezing and it means much better ground clearance with no hanging down tanks or plumbing. With double walls, the inner and outer shapes are different, so the cabinetry can be largely moulded in and the interior doesn't have to be the same shape as the exterior with simply attached cabinets or wall coverings to add some insulation. All the interior walls are smooth fiberglass which can be simply wiped down if needed. The Olivers work well in very cold weather and have double pane windows too. The ducted heating system is routed in the space between hulls so the tanks stay warm in cold weather. All the fittings, like the grab rails, shore power plug and water connections are stainless steel. On my other trailers, I got tired of breaking plastic grab handles and other fittings after they were weakened by being out in the sun. The batteries are carried in a compartment directly over the axles on a slide out tray, so no extra weight on the tongue, which leaves room for streamlining and to open the truck tailgate.

Item after item just seem to be done well and easy to use.

I first saw mine when it was closed up and parked in hot weather, in the sun. Inside it was just warm, but not what I expected while parked in nearly 100 degree heat.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
On the contrary... we bought our Scamp 13' to "match" the truck I still have the- the '99 Nissan 4cyl Frontier. In 2010, it was only 11 yr old with apx 65K on it- still like brand new. Both our kids had just gotten married within the past 2 yrs of that.

We debated and discussed hours on end during 2009. We finally decided selling the truck, buying a larger one then a larger camper would be the thing. I ran figures in my head and came up with apx $40 to 50 THOUSAND dollars of investment.

I finally told the wife, NO, that's going against everything I've wanted and worked for. Everything was/is paid for, we're now "empty nesters" and going back in dept?????? Dont think so!! Because at the time, she had never really "camped". We didnt know if she'd even like it!

The conclusion of the matter:
I emailed her one day and told her, we could pay cash for the $13K brand new Scamp. Pull it with our current truck. NO payments. IF we didnt like it, we might lose up to $3K on the trailer if we sold it, but that would certainly beat a possible $20-30K loss on two new vehicles!!!

The year is now 2017- 7-1/2 yrs later. We still have the same truck (90K miles) and the lil Scamp. We just got back a couple of weeks ago from a short trip to McFarland Park CG in Florence, AL from spending a week there. We added the 12' CLAM and we're VERY happy and content with our current setup that we use at the MAX 2-3 times a year. It's not to say that I wont get a larger vehicle someday AND a larger camper- finances would be different now than when the kids first got married! . But, while not a decision many would have made in 2009, it's one that we BOTH were VERY happy and still happy that we did.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #16

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
On the contrary... we bought our Scamp 13' to "match" the truck I still have the- the '99 Nissan 4cyl Frontier. In 2010, it was only 11 yr old with apx 65K on it- still like brand new. Both our kids had just gotten married within the past 2 yrs of that.

We debated and discussed hours on end during 2009. We finally decided selling the truck, buying a larger one then a larger camper would be the thing. I ran figures in my head and came up with apx $40 to 50 THOUSAND dollars of investment.

I finally told the wife, NO, that's going against everything I've wanted and worked for. Everything was/is paid for, we're now "empty nesters" and going back in dept?????? Dont think so!! Because at the time, she had never really "camped". We didnt know if she'd even like it!

The conclusion of the matter:
I emailed her one day and told her, we could pay cash for the $13K brand new Scamp. Pull it with our current truck. NO payments. IF we didnt like it, we might lose up to $3K on the trailer if we sold it, but that would certainly beat a possible $20-30K loss on two new vehicles!!!

The year is now 2017- 7-1/2 yrs later. We still have the same truck (90K miles) and the lil Scamp. We just got back a couple of weeks ago from a short trip to McFarland Park CG in Florence, AL from spending a week there. We added the 12' CLAM and we're VERY happy and content with our current setup that we use at the MAX 2-3 times a year. It's not to say that I wont get a larger vehicle someday AND a larger camper- finances would be different now than when the kids first got married! . But, while not a decision many would have made in 2009, it's one that we BOTH were VERY happy and still happy that we did.
Darell sounds like you are a great money manager . To tell my story I currently have now ,second owner1992 F250 with now 126,000 mi . I purchased second hand in 2003 and love my truck . The previous owner used to tow a boat . When we purchased truck it was for a second hand 1992 camper which we had for 10 years and sold for more then we purchased it . At first pulling our 2013 new Escape I thought was too much truck pulling lightweight trailer . Don't think that anymore . Look at new F 150 's and what they cost and until truck can't do the job will keep . Yup only get 9-11 mi towing . Can get 15 not towing . Pay a little more in gas with a V8 but all paid for . Cheaper tags and insurance also . I keep my truck up and keep improving our trailer , but everything paid for . Looking at the Oliver is just a dream and it doesn't hurt to have a dream .Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Burro andTrillium are just a couple of examples of double wall construction which are really no heavier than their single walled counterparts.
Floyd,

How can that be with twice the number of shells and insulation between? Is it because the cabinets are molded into the inner shell? Did they make them even thinner?
Old 10-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #18

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
X2. I feel that our tow vehicle is big already. And reaching the roof to clean it is another consideration.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Floyd,

How can that be with twice the number of shells and insulation between? Is it because the cabinets are molded into the inner shell? Did they make them even thinner?
I'm not Floyd, but two shells for the outside and two for the inside (and yes, the cabinetry is part of those), just like Burro and U-Haul created their trailers. Insulation is placed on the inside of the outside shells before they are all fiberglassed together.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:39 PM   #20

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Hi Charlie Y,

They are made from white gold, which explains the weight!

Hey, I see you have an Escape 21'. Love that floorplan!

Take care,

Dean
Dean, I am sure that you would appreciate the 21'. Great trailer and can customize so much.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver