5th wheel newbie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #1

Name: GREG
Trailer: ESCAPE 5.0TA
Washington
Cool 5th wheel newbie

I just took my new Escape 5.0 TA for its first trip out. I am towing it with a 2007 Nissan Frontier crew cab and have noticed what someone told me was "chucking"
This is rather annoying and I'm hoping someone with a Nissan Frontier and escape 5.0 combination can tell me if this is common. The trailer is brand new and the truck is in good shape for a truck with 100KAny help will be appreciated.
Thanks
THIBODEAUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Chucking is caused by the hitch, what kind of hitch do you have?
Old 06-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

Washington
It is a Reese 15 K. I bought it from Escape when I bought the trailer
Old 06-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Greg have you posted your concerns on the EscapeForum? You'd probably get more information/help there as most Escape owners are there.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:34 PM   #5

Washington
Thanks
I had thought about that but had a hard time signing on to their web site
I'll try again
Old 06-10-2017, 04:07 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Might talk to the folks that installed the hitch. Chucking is play between the king pin and the jaws or slide bar in the hitch, felt as bucking in the truck, should be none or very little. I suppose in a small truck like the Frontier you would feel it more then a full size. I'd do like Donna suggests and post this over on the Escape forum.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:27 AM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
A couple of observations. I have a Scamp 19Deluxe and pull it with a 2013 Tacoma, so it is quite similar. When I towed it home the very first time (first 500 miles towing anything in my life), I was very nervous about what I would also describe as chucking. I did all kinds of research on hitches and found many different solutions. However, the problem went away after I increased the pressure to the Scamp suggested 45 psi, instead of 32 to 35 which I towed with then, being uneducated and thinking in terms of car tire pressure. So try to pump up the tires to the allowed maximum for your next trip.

All those "soft" hitches seemed to be complicated and expensive, so they were not going to be my first attempt at solving the problem anyway. There is a hint of it, but no big deal.

This kind of rig does have that tendency, it might be less noticeable with a heavier truck. Also, there are some highways and interstates that have a wave built in that makes this quite unpleasant. They are usually those concrete new ones. I wonder what is wrong with those concrete finishing machines.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have an Escape 5.0TA and the same hitch as Greg. There's no slop, but it's far from quiet when towing on rough roads. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact it's a lot closer to my ears than a bumper pull so I'm more aware of noises.

Greg, since someone told you it was called chucking, how did you describe it to that person so they were able to give you that definition?

One of the solutions I read on the Good Sam Open Road forum says there's not enough weight on the the pin. Were the rear tanks full? Bike rack and bicycles? Maybe move stuff around inside...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
We had that combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have an Escape 5.0TA and the same hitch as Greg. There's no slop, but it's far from quiet when towing on rough roads. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact it's a lot closer to my ears than a bumper pull so I'm more aware of noises.

Greg, since someone told you it was called chucking, how did you describe it to that person so they were able to give you that definition?

One of the solutions I read on the Good Sam Open Road forum says there's not enough weight on the pin. Were the rear tanks full? Bike rack and bicycles? Maybe move stuff around inside...
We pulled a 5.0TA for a couple years with a 2007 Frontier 6cyl, 2wd, crewcab, 6' bed, using a Reese 15k hitch, and had no problems. Alf, on the Escape site, has a newer Frontier and has pulled first a 5.0 and then one of the earliest 5.0TAs. He has a different hitch and is quite happy with the setup.

I agree with Donna that you may not have enough weight on the kingpin, it should be around 15% on the total trailer weight. You don't want too much on the pin as it's easy to exceed the Frontier's recommended payload.

Good luck with finding a solution,

David
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THIBODEAUX View Post
Thanks
I had thought about that but had a hard time signing on to their web site
I'll try again
Hi: THIBODEAUX... The 5.0TA is a well balanced trailer. I found If you tow with a full tank of fresh water you will take weight off the pin. This will make the chucking sensation worse. Our Frontier is used only for towing so I add 5#'s extra pressure to the trucks rear tires and also max pressure in the trailer tires. Our combo is level when hooked up. Our hitch is a Husky 16K EZRoller slider hitch but we don't need to slide it!!! Tammy's dad at ETI lowered the hitch plate 1 set of bolt holes to make it level.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040126.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape