2018 17' Bigfoot Question on Bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
JPD

Name: John
Trailer: BigFoot
California
Question 2018 17' Bigfoot Question on Bed

Hello my husband and I are buying a brand new 17' FB Bigfoot. We have never seen one in person just have done a lot of research. We are retired and want to travel. Our question is about the bed, since I have never been in one can anyone tell me if the mattress is comfortable or not? I have a medical condition and the bed is a important key for my comfort. I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions we pick up our new Bigfoot at the end of July in Canada.

One more question does anybody tow their 17' with a Jeep Rubicon?

Thanks ahead of time for reading this my name is Loretta and my husband is John.
JPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It will depend on what your body likes in a bed. I won't be going out on a limb to say: no, you will probably not find the cushions to be comfortable.

Most people end up buying a 3-4" piece of memory foam at their desired firmness to roll out over the bed at night.

I personally like very firm mattresses and for me most camper cushions are way too soft. Most people find them to be too firm.

But I can almost guarantee it won't be in the goldilocks zone for you. Get the camper, check it out, decide what you need to make the bed comfy.

Congrats! Bigfoot are great trailers.

You'll want to check the owners manual for your Rubicon. As long as it's rated to tow the weight of the trailer, you should be fine. Sometimes having a very short wheelbase vehicle for towing means a lot less stability, since the trailer can jerk it around a lot easier, but it just means you need to be more cautions when you're towing.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
JPD

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
It will depend on what your body likes in a bed. I won't be going out on a limb to say: no, you will probably not find the cushions to be comfortable.

Most people end up buying a 3-4" piece of memory foam at their desired firmness to roll out over the bed at night.

I personally like very firm mattresses and for me most camper cushions are way too soft. Most people find them to be too firm.

But I can almost guarantee it won't be in the goldilocks zone for you. Get the camper, check it out, decide what you need to make the bed comfy.

You'll want to check the owners manual for your Rubicon. As long as it's rated to tow the weight of the trailer, you should be fine. Sometimes having a very short wheelbase vehicle for towing means a lot less stability, since the trailer can jerk it around a lot easier, but it just means you need to be more cautions when you're towing.
Thank you so much for your answer, you really made me laugh about my Goldilocks zone. Yes we know about the short wheelbase making it a little harder but we bought a special hitch to help compensate for that problem, it's a Hensley.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have not seen nor heard of a Bigfoot RB, their website have 3 models, 175 FB/175G/ and 175/CB. The only true bed is the 175FB which I have been in and sat on the bed. It has a regular mattress, made for a bed whereas the other 2 models have sofabeds that convert to a bed. These have cushions, not a mattress. If you plan on leaving the sofa bed open and set up as a bed full time then I's suggest a mattress topper to get that bed feel, otherwise the 175/FB would be my choice, with the really nice rear dinette with that huge rear window.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #5

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I was assuming she meant "rear bath" as in G/Gaucho but I know I shouldn't assume.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #6
JPD

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have not seen nor heard of a Bigfoot RB, their website have 3 models, 175 FB/175G/ and 175/CB. The only true bed is the 175FB which I have been in and sat on the bed. It has a regular mattress, made for a bed whereas the other 2 models have sofabeds that convert to a bed. These have cushions, not a mattress. If you plan on leaving the sofa bed open and set up as a bed full time then I's suggest a mattress topper to get that bed feel, otherwise the 175/FB would be my choice, with the really nice rear dinette with that huge rear window.
I'm new to this but I was told that the FB stood for full size bed. The bed is in the rear and it actually a 3/4 bed, there is no sofa. If you got a sofa that makes into the bed then you don't get a table. The research we did said if you chose the bed in the front then you will have sway issues. I really needed a king bed or a queen but the salesman told us this was the best option choice for us. I have never even heard of a 3/4 bed but I guess it's a twin with a 1/4 more. That worries me most because that is not very big for 2 adults. Thanks for willing to give advice.

Never drive faster than your angel can fly
Old 06-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #7

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
well....

my first question would be how does one buy a 40k trailer sight unseen ??? there must be a good story there....

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201....5FB-122104415

according to BF the only "rear bed" they make is the CB model....then there's the G model that we'd have to call a "side bed" I guess....in both these cases the bed width is a whopping FORTY ONE INCHES....

(never heard of a RB....but since I own a CB, center bath, I too assumed the RB was for rear bath...as in the G model)

the 17.5 weighs 3275 dry...GVWR is stated at 4300 (IME once you pack everything... you will quickly reach...and possibly/probably exceed that GVWR...I know I do)
Attached Thumbnails
rub.jpg   rub2.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:20 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The FB or front bed has a 48" bed in the Bigfoot and is not a full bed, which is 54" wide. If you want a full size bed, Escape has a 21' with full size and a 19' with a queen sized bed. See here for descriptions.Escape Trailer Industries – Chilliwack, British Columbia
Both of these are tandem axles but will weigh less than the 17.5 foot Bigfoot.
I have been inside the 175FB Bigfoot and it is a nice trailer.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
JPD

California
2018 Bigfoot 17'

Franswa first let me thank you for all the info you provided. You just don't know my husband buying sight unseen is not really anything unusual for him. He does not really care about the aesthetics of the trailer, what he cares about is the mechanics. He did his research for about 2 years while he was waiting to retire. When he decides what he wants to do he goes for it. We used to have a Airstream bought in 1974 sight unseen also. The Bigfoot caught his attention because of how well they are insulated and the weight of them. This will blow you away he bought the Bigfoot trailer before I even knew about it. I didn't care as long as it's comfortable for my medical issues. I am afraid it might not do that , the only idea I can come up with is I get that huge bed and he will have to buy some type of padding to sleep on the floor. I think that is a good and fair trade off since I wasn't included in the purchasing.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:50 PM   #10
JPD

California
Quote:
I was assuming she meant "rear bath" as in G/Gaucho but I know I shouldn't assume.
Close, I meant rear bed.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:54 PM   #11
JPD

California
Quote:

Thanks for the congrats!

Old 01-29-2018, 06:21 PM   #12

Name: Carrie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
For the 17FB, is the size of the dinette/bed the same as the mattress in the front or smaller? Actual dimensions would be awesome!
mccartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:38 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Front bed.

mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:40 PM   #14

Ontario
Thanks. But it doesn’t say the dimensions of the dinette that converts to a bed. I know the real bed is 48” wide. Is the dinette also 48” wide or smaller? I’ve read it’s only a two person dinette
Old 01-29-2018, 07:44 PM   #15

Ontario
FYI I asked Bigfoot and they responded right away!

Front full mattress:
“Yes the mattress is really 48” but the space is about 50” to be able to make the bed.

The Dinette is actually a 40 inch Dinette. This can fit 4 people.”
Old 03-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #16

Name: Shane
Trailer: 1978 trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
my first question would be how does one buy a 40k trailer sight unseen ??? there must be a good story there....

according to BF the only "rear bed" they make is the CB model....then there's the G model that we'd have to call a "side bed" I guess....in both these cases the bed width is a whopping FORTY ONE INCHES....

(never heard of a RB....but since I own a CB, center bath, I too assumed the RB was for rear bath...as in the G model)

the 17.5 weighs 3275 dry...GVWR is stated at 4300 (IME once you pack everything... you will quickly reach...and possibly/probably exceed that GVWR...I know I do)

My wife and I purchased our 2018 fb before the trailer even arrived at the store. I never seen one before, only in pictures. We did our research. I owned a trillium 4500 for 7 years so I new what I was looking for. Bigfoot’s don’t last long on the market in Ontario, so when one comes up you have to get on it! After we purchased the trailer before even seeing it the salesman asked if we would sell it for $5000 more then we payed for it to some other guy. We declined. We have trailer now and WOW what a beautiful well built trailer!! Love it!
Treeax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #17

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Two person dinettes are typically ~24 inches wide. I’d contact Bigfoot and discuss with them.

Rarely does an RV mattress agree with my back. The queen in our Escape is the first one I have liked. And of course everyone is different, you might hate it.

The thing about a permanent bed is you can always get a custom made mattress of your choosing. Doesn’t work too good on a bed you take down every morning, although you could have custom cushions made.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
p/o our 13f scamper

previous owner put in an 8in foam mattress he cut the corners to suit our bed stays up all the time.

really good mattress and 1/2 the cost of some custom mattress but whatever you like I suppose.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot