Reinforcing Burro Roof - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 08:31 AM   #1

Name: Annie
Trailer: Parkliner
Oregon
Reinforcing Burro Roof

I am wondering if anyone has reinforced their Burro roof/ceiling? In my 81 Burro the roof sags over the bed a 1/4" or so, like it has had some heavy snow on it in the past. I can push it back up but it doesn't stay up, it needs some extra support. Since I am in the middle of restore my trailer I want to add roof support to my list of items to do as I don't have a headliner in right now.

When we got our Burro it had 1/8" plywood screwed in at the headliner and caulked to the edges of the inner shells. I have removed the plywood and caulk to make repairs.

My husband idea is to add a metal sheet to create an arch to support the roof from front to back.

My idea is to add stainless steel ribs between the outer shell and inner shells and then to fiberglass the supports to the outer shell to tie it all together.

Has anyone tried either of these options? What was the outcome? Or what have you done to reinforce the roof?

Thanks
AnnieSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Read section 3 of this pdf link for DIY advice on fiberglassing in extra support structure such as for your overhead. It will show you how to lay up the fiberglass cloth over the material you use for the "beam".

http://www.westsystem.com/wp-content...anual-2015.pdf
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #3

Name: Jeanne
Trailer: Burro
North Carolina
I fiber-glassed a frame under the fan that I installed on my Burro. My original reason was to keep from hitting the knob with my head, but it also reinforced the roof in that area.

For the back portion I propped up the roof from the inside and filled the gap in the seam with fiberglass. It had a noticeable sag that seems to have been fixed. My next step would have been adding layers of fiberglass to the inside ceiling while it was propped up without an additional beam. I'm not dealing with any snow loads here.
Jeanne D. in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #4

Name: Annie
Trailer: Parkliner
Oregon
Thank you for the information.

I too am going to do the fiberglass frame for the vent. Hopefully it will add a little more reinforcement. I am going to fiberglass it to the roof for added strength. I will be doing this as soon as I get all the dicor off the roof the PO used as a snowcoat. I will be repainting the outside of my burro once the dicor is off and prep work is done.

I will also be adding the ribs as outlined in the article Kai included. Currently the roof is propped up on the inside and with the extreme heat we had this summer (108 expected today), it should help pop the roof back up.

Thank you for the info and help/ideas
AnnieSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro