Screen Frames for 4500 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: '79 Trillium 4500
Michigan
Screen Frames for 4500

Hello: I recently purchased a 4500 and am getting it ready for my first outing with it. I am missing a couple of screens, frames and all. They are Hehr windows and from what I can tell, if I bought new frames I would need material which is 5/16" Reversed Lip Screen Frame. There are wholesalers that sell the raw materials, but that's as close as I can get to finding the correct frame material. Any suggestion out there? Thank you.
34Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Have you tried Vintage Trailer Supply? They stock a lot of old stuff...
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I can post photos and dimensions of my Trillium 4500 screens if it would help. Just let me know if you want me to do this.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #4

Name: Chris & LeAnn
Trailer: trillium 4500
Texas
local ace hardware store made one for me. id be happy to get you sizes if you let me know what windows your needing screens for
cgorden34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
I see the Vintage Trailer Supply people sell all the bits to make your own should you wish...
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #6

Michigan
Screen Frames

Thank you both John & Chris for your post. After I posted I did find the Vintage Trailer Supply website. They sell a 94" aluminum framing material for around $14, but each piece has to be shipped in an 8' PVC which adds $8.50 per piece. That ends up being around $70 for the frames, with no screening material. Does that sound reasonable? I also called my local Ace Dealer and their screen man was off for the day. They did state that they can probably order the correct aluminum framing material if they don't have it. Luckily I need two different sized screens and I have examples of both. Off hand I think they are roughly 20' x 22' and 36' x 22'>
Old 06-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
34Roy, you are on the right track. If the hardware store can't get frame material that fits in your window frames, then I will say the VTS is competitive with other sources for a lot of the hard to find Trillium parts. I am not familiar with sources for frame material. Last week we lucked out and purchase an 8' piece of Hehr window screw cover molding for $5 including shipping on Amazon Prime, but now that deal is no longer available. Usually the rare moldings and trims such as Hehr screw cover run $2 per foot plus shipping.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #8

Michigan
Screen frames update

I just spoke with a Vintage Trailer Supply person. He was not certain that their aluminum frame material would work on a Trillium. He also stated that the I would NOT need to have three separate PVC pipes for shipping and they might be willing to cut them in half so they could box them for shipping. I just wanted to update so I'm not putting out misinformation.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #9

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Ace or True Value type hardware stores

You will need to find yourself a real hardware store, preferably one that has been in business for the last 40 years or so. A Mom & Pop, maybe. They would be most likely to sell you things to repair with, instead of the big box, toss-it-out-and-buy-another-one stores. When was the last time you saw webbing to re-web an old lawn chair in a big box store? But fixing things was common 40 years ago.

It might even be smart to tow the trailer up there and let them look at it. They might be able to fab you a new set of screens on the spot.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:19 AM   #10

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Roy View Post
Hello: I recently purchased a 4500 and am getting it ready for my first outing with it. I am missing a couple of screens, frames and all. They are Hehr windows and from what I can tell, if I bought new frames I would need material which is 5/16" Reversed Lip Screen Frame. There are wholesalers that sell the raw materials, but that's as close as I can get to finding the correct frame material. Any suggestion out there? Thank you.
:try your local Glass Shop most can remake frames for you and install the screens, use plastic screens and when need to replace is easy just go to Lowe s or Home Depot they sell a tool with a wheel that pushes the new screen back into the area it supposed to go int.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #11

Michigan
Screen repair update

I struck out at my local Ace, they had a ton of different frames, but not the one I needed. I went to a glass shop and that did work. The worker did confirm that the frame material is called a reverse lip frame as the lip is on the inside as opposed to the outside. The cost will be $29.50 for each frame even though they are different sizes. I'm really happy with that. I don't think I could build them myself with material from VTS and VTS was not certain his Airstream material would work on a Trillium. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #12

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Success! If you can talk that glass shop into sharing their supplier and the number of that extrusion, you would really help your fellow Trillium owners.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #13

Michigan
Screen Frames

I can do that. The guy certainly knew what he was talking about. I took in one that had just been re-screened at Ace for size referencing and he said the guy had the screen too tight and it was now out of square. When I put in back in the Trillium it wouldn't stay in very well and when it did, there were gaps. So I'll have to have it done again. Just stating that for the DIY folks out there. I'll call tomorrow and see if I can get the info over the phone. The screens won't be done for 10 days as they are backed up with work.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #14

Michigan
Screen Frames

I went to the glass shop and they said I wouldn't be able to get the screen framing material because it is only available whole. I was able to find some on Amazon the link is below. Their material is sold in 12' pieces, I'm not sure how they ship it or if they would cut it. Once again, it is referred to 5/16" reversed lip.

https://www.amazon.com/White-Reversed-Lip-Screen
Frame/dp/B008W9JOYE

I also took my screen back to Ace and they tried to re-do my screen in my presence. Once again the frame warped. I'm wondering if the corners are not strong enough. It will be interesting to see how my new frames turn out. If they are fine, I'll probably have them give the screen a shot that Ace couldn't succeed. Ace gave me some clips to hold the screens in, but I'm going to wait to see how the glass shop does before I put holes in the frames.

Tags
trillium