Play Pac - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2007, 11:06 AM   #1

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
The Campster post got me thinking. I did a search and guess what????? There's only six Play-Pac/PlayPac/Play Pac owners registered on the site. (This does not take into account resales of the same PP) None of us are in the same state and most of us are east of the Mississippi. Is that not a cool statistic, or what!

So, if you own a Play Pac, however you spell it and you want to own up. Post here.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's the known list of owners:

Bonnie
Camilla Stanley
Charlie
Liza S.
Robert J. Tobolson
Dub J

There may be more, unfortunately searching for RV type gets fouled up if someone has entered the year of their trailer first. So, you won't easily be able to find an owner if entered as: 1978 Play Pac, etc.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:06 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Mike Watters is a PlayPac Alumni. He did a nice restoration on one (pictures on his web site) although I think he sold it.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:17 AM   #4

Steve, you're right. His is sold. I noticed that most of the other PP owners haven't posted. Camilla is brand new, so she gets a hearty welcome. Then you have me the chatterbox.

Donna is right. I had to search a variety of ways to come up with my list. Was fun on a dreary afternoon.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:43 AM   #5

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
The PlayPac is still in my backyard - according to Google Earth anyway.

I can even find my bike in the parking lot at work on that thing. Pretty cool!

The PlayPac has been gone for awhile - and the new project (converting a fiberglass body cargo trailer) is going slower than molasses in January.

I told the buyers about the site - but I don't think they ever checked it out.

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #6

Trailer: Gypsy 1979
Hi Bonnie, I restored a 1973 Playpac last year but have sold it. You can view the restoration photos using link http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/Al...000000:SFOPRD13 tho there is no organization to photos. Bill
Bill Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #7

Trailer: Play Pac
Here I am! I'm still trying to figure how to work the forum so have patience if I screw up. I am Camilla and live in Western KY and just bought my new-to-me toy two days ago. It's trashed and I intend to redo it from the ground up. It was redone in the past extremely poorly and I have to go back and take all of that out and start over.

I haven't taken pics yet but I will today if it stops raining. I've been searching around and as near as I can tell they made these for one year only? Does anyone have any more info? Were they originally made by Gulfstream possibly? I tried to call them today but they were wiped out by a tornado so it will be a week or more I imagine until they are able to get any phone services.

My Playpac decals aren't even on my trailer so I didn't even know what I was buying until I found this website and started looking at photos so I could identify it. I haven't looked yet for a serial number.

I am SO excited about redoing this trailer I can hardly breathe. Since I'm going to start from scratch I want to put in state of the art everything and I may as well put in LED lights and such to save on battery power.

I still have no idea what I'm going to cover the walls with but I was thinking that perhaps I could insulate them somehow first... I have so much to think about.

On windows. Mine are screwed shut... I may just try to purchase new - I dunno... I could be better off - what do you all think?

On AC Wonder what the tiniest unit there is?

I have a shower in the closet but no toilet - I think there is room for a toilet so I'm going to add one.

There is currently ceramic tile down in the floor and a very poor, messy job. I have to chip it all up...

I'd like more cabinet space and I think there is some wasted space in there I can use so I'm going to do some reconfiguring just not sure how yet.

I'm so glad to have found you all!

Camilla
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #8

You guys are the greatest.

I'm so excited to see what one looked like furnished. Bill's layout in the front half is almost the layout I have planned. Wow. I'm oggling the closet/bathroom.

Bill, was the layout original? What was in yours when you bought it? Was there a full cabinet at the back, or just a shelf? Is the small shelf/thingie right inside the door part of the seating or separate? Thank you so much for sharing your photos. I can't tell you how much help they've been already. If you could, I know the interior pics would add to the Play Pac collection here on the site.

I can't wait for Camilla's photos. What fun. As far as the windows, I'd check around and see what sort of metal workers are around your area. If the windows can be repaired, I'd do that. I have one side window that's screwed shut too.
Is your layout like Bill's? If not, how does it differ? Also a 5k AC is about the smallest I've seen.

As you can tell from the link in my signature, my PP is empty. What a fun project.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #9

Bonnie,

I sent photos to your email address of another one but not mine.

It rained ALL day long here and I haven't even so much as gone out on the porch. The most I did was open the door for the dog to go out a couple of times. My camper has the little front kitchen counter with the sink and burners and the closet still on the far wall. In the back it has the two beds but what they did is to make it one larger bed and who knows what happened to the table. There are no cushions at all and everything is painted real dark and slapped on terrible. In the bathroom there is a shower but no toilet. The shower walls were coated with drywall mud and stickled REAL rough (would be impossible to clean). I'll have to grind all that off some how.

Under the sink in the kitchen is a tiny battery. Under a back bed in a tiny um, gosh I can't think of what those are called - changes the current from 110 to 12V. Not an inverter... I'm old so my brain skips out on me from time to time.

The camper does have a propane tank in the front but has the old connections.

I'm not sure about keeping the old windows. If I get new ones I can be assured of double panes. I was looking at this sink faucet for the kitchen - pretty cool: kitchen faucet Course - I'm a long way from anything like that. I think I want to take the whole shell off (how will I do that?) and sand the frame down and paint it then start from there.

Camilla
Old 10-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #10

Camilla, that is the coolest faucet I've ever seen.

Thank you very much for the pictures. They have helped tremendously. I wondered where they put the battery; the tongue is way too small for propane and a battery. I wonder why the inverter was so far back? I'm eager to see the bathroom arrangement. I can't imagine the mess grinding all that junk off will be. Make sure and get one of those breather masks and open the doors and windows.

Heir Windows makes a type similar to the side windows. I have looked at them, but mine are really in decent shape, so window replacements are down the line a ways.

There's some great postings about frame off discussions here. You'll get lost reading everything.

I'd say rain, rain go away, but Kentucky is really behind in the rain category. So, I won't.

Bonnie

btw, my little PP was christened "Egg Krate" at the Labor Day dulcimer event I attended. So, now we should work up a name for yours. How about Bass Bucket?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:31 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
The PlayPac is still in my backyard - [b]according to Google Earth anyway.
Let's do the Time Warp Again!

My old Compact Jr is in the yard at work, and the Fiber Stream is parked on the street in Chula Vista with a For Sale sign. That would make it June 2004...
Old 10-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #12

Trailer: Gypsy 1979
Hi Bonnie & Camilla, The layout in my playpac was original. Just had a small shelf across back. The cabinet to left of door ended the bed configuration. 5000 btu air was great.
Playpac also made a 74 model and maybe others. The Playpac logos were made with 1/8 inch thick plastic of some kind and glued on. Hope this helps Bill
Bill Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:08 AM   #13

Hi Bill,

Hate to be a pest, but I have a couple more questions.

How did you support the AC and the fan I see mounted in the ceiling? I would like to have a fantastic fan, but the roof didn't seem sturdy enough to hold it. And while, right now, I'm not looking to have a permanently mounted AC, that install looks very stable.

One other thing, how did the spare and the box mount to the back bumper? Did it cause handling issues?

I appreciate your time.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2007, 12:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Let's do the Time Warp Again!
It's just a jump to the left...

Old 10-23-2007, 07:07 AM   #15

Quote:
btw, my little PP was christened "Egg Krate" at the Labor Day dulcimer event I attended. So, now we should work up a name for yours. How about Bass Bucket?
Well Bass Bucket sounds OK but then the step sons might get the wrong idea and try to borrow it for hunting! I keep leaning toward the idea of making it real girlie so it has much less appeal as a hunting buggy and I won't even get asked to borrow it. I'm thinking pinks here... Perhaps retro light greens - I just don't know yet. Anything so it has no male appeal. I don't want my new toy to have hunting cooties! Dirty boots - blood and guts - antlers and turkey feathers - squirrel tails -ticks and fleas! All the things boys are made of! Oh no! If they see it they'll want to camo the whole thing!

Today I promise to get in there and get some pics to photobucket rain or no. Right now it looks like it's 5 am out there and it's already 8AM. Still dark. Hope the sun comes thru today - I want to go to my pond and check on my bass and see how they fared thru the storm a couple days ago.

Camilla
Old 10-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Camilla, that is the coolest faucet I've ever seen.
I wrote to the manufacturer and they don't have a distributor in the US. It probably cost a million trillion dollars anyway

I do want to have extra neat appliances and gadgets in the trailer though. I am going to keep looking! I guess I could find out what it costs to ship one from Italy GULP!

Still raining!

Camilla
Old 10-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I wrote to the manufacturer and they don't have a distributor in the US. It probably cost a million trillion dollars anyway
That probably has more to do with the electricity portion of the faucet than anything. Remember, Europe electricity is 220 volts, 50 Hz frequency

while this side of the pond we use 110 or 120 volts and 60 Hz.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #18

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Spiffy Faucet:

There are options of course...

Battery Operated version

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Spiffy Faucet:

There are options of course...

Battery Operated version

mkw
Oh yeah!!! hee hee!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #20

Quote:
That probably has more to do with the electricity portion of the faucet than anything. Remember, Europe electricity is 220 volts, 50 Hz frequency

while this side of the pond we use 110 or 120 volts and 60 Hz.
I hadn't thought of that dilema... I love your photo by the way. I guess I'll have to come up with one...

Camilla

Tags
play–pac