Propane copper pipe corrosion - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #21

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
So now you have a sacrificial anode.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #22

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Sorta. We have just substituted voltage for a more Nobel metal, the lower ones always are sacrificed
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I love the dialog and exchange. I majored chemistry in college in 66 until I failed it. I then realized it was not my calling. So into Electronics. It is possible that the prior owner spilled her Lime Rickey onto the copper pipe in the closet looking for her fox fur wrap- that would be just a guess at this juncture BUT I love the discourse of answers and solutions. Thats what makes this forum great. The citric acid of the lime caused a chemical reaction which resulted in CuO (s) +CH3COOH >> CuSO4 (aq) + H2O (l) ............ Just kidding guys but YOU are the best and please keep the responses coming as they are all appreciated. I will make sure that pipe is 100% before I cover it up for the next 28 years
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #24

Indiana
Registry
Probably was best to go into electronics, however your unique chemical reactions could have made you a fortune if you could just overcome the laws of nature.
I too started out in chemistry an made a tolerable living out of it until I sold out for $ and went over to the"dark side" to become an engineer.
. Actually all the speculation is what keeps some of these threads fun. Just think if you had just replaced the copper tube everyone would still think lime juice contained citric acid lol.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
So can you chemists explain the reaction between copper line and concrete floors. When I worked for a fuel company doing both fuel oil and propane service and installation I sometimes found similar corrosion on the soft copper line we used for both. I assumed it was mostly due to moisture, but it has now become common practice to NOT bury a copper line in concrete. I only did this work for a few years, and in that time found just a couple cases of either a fuel or propane leak in a copper line. In those few instances, the line either laid on a concrete floor or dirt. We used a manometer [ U shaped tube with water in it ] to check for propane leaks.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #26

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Levitttown was a post wwII housing community with 2br homes for under $5k for returning
military. They buried their heat copper lines for radiant heat in the cement floors. Problem, the lime in the cement eventually ate holes in the copper and 20 years later most of the homes had to install conventional heat systems.
Radiant in floor heat systems are great, I have one in my home built in 1947. However this home has the cast iron pipes surrounded by gravel under hardwood floors. There is no reaction between the two. The downside is it takes about 2-3 hours to heat up, but once warm it stays warm.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #27

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
I too started out in chemistry an made a tolerable living out of it until I sold out for $ and went over to the"dark side" to become an engineer.

That- that's the path my Very Own Husband took! I had no idea there could be more than one of him...unless....

Honey, is that you?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
When I was a kid I wanted to grow up and be like Mr. Wizard on TV. Instead I turned into more of a Howdy Doody. I did love princess winterfall summer spring though.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #29

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Hijack, but can they test for CO from a cracked furnace manifold? I'm going to put a monitor in my camper, but I would like to have that checked anyway.
Yes, anyone claiming to be qualified in home furnace repair should be able to do this; it is a normal part of furnace inspection. A gas company tech spotted cracks in my house furnace before they even started leaking (so of course we replaced the furnace).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #30

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, anyone claiming to be qualified in home furnace repair should be able to do this; it is a normal part of furnace inspection. A gas company tech spotted cracks in my house furnace before they even started leaking (so of course we replaced the furnace).
Some cracks are in places that can not be seen without complete disassembly. Some can be detected when using a meter to check draft, and with some models of furnaces, experience tells you that cracks are almost a sure thing and where to look. When I was in the home heating trade, a furnace was the last thing anyone wanted to spend money on, they had a new car and a 40 year old heat system that they wanted to be 100% reliable every day. And if told there was a crack, could I just patch it and keep the thing running.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #31

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
...And if told there was a crack, could I just patch it and keep the thing running.
I can believe that. In my case, although I would have replaced the furnace anyway I had little choice... the tech said that if it were not replaced in a month or so he would be back to shut off the gas supply and padlock it, as per their safety policy. I like well-run utility companies.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #32

New York
We were supposed to disable a furnace if cracks were found, but that didn't go over very well sometimes, especially if it was cold weather. That type of work was not a very rewarding or enjoyable experience, I left it after a few years. Somehow most customers regarded us as bad guys, it was our fault that their ancient equipment failed, and for the high price of fuel and how much they used. A funny occurrence that I frequently found was that homeowners would store stuff around the furnace or boiler making it difficult to get to it to work on it. After all it was something they never touched, so stack everything next to it.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #33

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I discovered this year while the big incentive rebates were being offered for people in BC to upgrade their old furnace to more efficient ones that if you have let the furnace go as far as to have the furnace crack or if it no longer runs you cant use the rebate. Go figure. Was told it was for safety reasons they want to encourage people to replace an old inefficient furnaces before they crack or die.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #34

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

That- that's the path my Very Own Husband took! I had no idea there could be more than one of him...unless....

Honey, is that you?

Francesca

Busted. Now that you have found out that your Husband could be a strange visitor form another planet who is faster than a speeding bullet , more powerful than a locomotive and capable of leaping buildings in a single bound and is able to assume multi identities in multi locations and is an engineer to boot, what more do you need you lucky girl?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #35

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
Busted. Now that you have found out that your Husband could be a strange visitor form another planet who is faster than a speeding bullet , more powerful than a locomotive and capable of leaping buildings in a single bound and is able to assume multi identities in multi locations and is an engineer to boot,
what more do you need you lucky girl?
Nothing!

That's why I included those as requirements in the "High Maintenance Woman Seeking Mate" ad that snagged him...you...them...

It Takes a Village!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, propane