Advice sought on Casita awning, spare tires, etc. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2019, 08:56 AM   #21

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Exclamation Awning Problems

This post is the voice of experience when it comes to awnings and their fitment. The take-home I get is that the poster likes the idea of awning windows. He just wants them to work reliably, which factory offerings don't. So he came up with his own solution. This is the typical scenario about a built-to-a-price NOT a built-for-function trailer. Until consumers stop buying on price and demand a better product, this will not change
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #22

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWMattson View Post
I've been looking for an awning just like you described. I want a rail that can seal to my Burro to keep the rain from dripping down the side. I've found these. I just don't know what type of awning to use with it. Can you give any suggestions? What did you use?
Here's a few sites that make them to your specifications. I bought one pre-made, and made one myself with a heavy-duty "farm tarp" that I sewed a Keder welt strip on one end. And to support the outward end, I just bought some of those aluminum telescoping 3-section tent poles at the local sporting goods store. Some people like the heavier duty "painter poles" available at the big box stores. Your preference. Don't forget the heavy duty tent stakes and some guy lines to tension up the tarp's suspension at the tent poles.

Marti's Trailer Awnings Contact and Order

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-400.htm

https://www.reimo.com/en/D-camping_s...rhome_awnings/

https://www.tarpsplus.com/tarp-awnings.html (If you want to make your own.)
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:38 AM   #23

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Stand alone shelters vs awnings

Personally we use both..the Gazelle we bought last spring worked well all season..easy to tie down and if a uuge storm comes while we are away from 'camp' we have not lost a $800 awning like we would lose if we had left our trailer awning rolled out all the time. Usually we end up only rolling the awning out about 2 feet... to shade the frig vents, bks we love our Gazelle shelter.

BTW the rubber bumpers cured or prevented the "rubbing spare problem" w/o damage to the gelcoat
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #24

Name: George
Trailer: 83 Burro
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Here's a few sites that make them to your specifications. I bought one pre-made, and made one myself with a heavy-duty "farm tarp" that I sewed a Keder welt strip on one end. And to support the outward end, I just bought some of those aluminum telescoping 3-section tent poles at the local sporting goods store. Some people like the heavier duty "painter poles" available at the big box stores. Your preference. Don't forget the heavy duty tent stakes and some guy lines to tension up the tarp's suspension at the tent poles.

Marti's Trailer Awnings Contact and Order

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-400.htm

https://www.reimo.com/en/D-camping_s...rhome_awnings/

https://www.tarpsplus.com/tarp-awnings.html (If you want to make your own.)
Thanks Greg. Back in the old days, when we camped in a cheap leaky tent, we used to put a tarp over it for rain. It was very noisy in the wind. How noisy is the farm tarp you used? Would I have the same problem? I like the idea of making my own, but I want to make sure I use the right material.
GWMattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #25

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWMattson View Post
Thanks Greg. Back in the old days, when we camped in a cheap leaky tent, we used to put a tarp over it for rain. It was very noisy in the wind. How noisy is the farm tarp you used? Would I have the same problem? I like the idea of making my own, but I want to make sure I use the right material.
It doesn't make any rustling or flapping noise, even in a good stiff breeze. Very occasionally, if the wind is strong enough and coming in just right, you might get a little "fluttering", but it doesn't last long, and it's not at all loud. My home made "farm tarp" awning is very heavyweight waterproof material and the wind has virtually no effect on it. This is the same tarp material that hay farmers cover their hay piles out in the fields with all year around. Very strong and durable, and will probably outlast me.

Incidentally, I just bought another awning this morning from Marti's Awnings. It was one of several pre-made ones that she had in stock. It's 7'6" X 7'6", which is just perfect size for my 7'6" Keder rail, and includes a "stuff bag" for it, and shipping for only $225.00

So, now I have three awnings.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #26

Name: George
Trailer: 83 Burro
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
It doesn't make any rustling or flapping noise, even in a good stiff breeze. Very occasionally, if the wind is strong enough and coming in just right, you might get a little "fluttering", but it doesn't last long, and it's not at all loud. My home made "farm tarp" awning is very heavyweight waterproof material and the wind has virtually no effect on it. This is the same tarp material that hay farmers cover their hay piles out in the fields with all year around. Very strong and durable, and will probably outlast me.

Incidentally, I just bought another awning this morning from Marti's Awnings. It was one of several pre-made ones that she had in stock. It's 7'6" X 7'6", which is just perfect size for my 7'6" Keder rail, and includes a "stuff bag" for it, and shipping for only $225.00

So, now I have three awnings.
Thanks Greg. I think I'll see what Marti has in stock before making my own. The price is good and it would be good to see a professionally made one before I try to make one.
GWMattson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, casita, tires