Are Electric Brakes Needed for Scamp 13? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2016, 06:57 PM   #1

Name: Oski
Trailer: In the market
California
Smile Are Electric Brakes Needed for Scamp 13?

Hi Folks,
I have just joined this forum and appreciate it. We are planning on ordering a 13 ft. Scamp. Lots of conflicting info. out there on whether or not we'll need electric brakes. Any advice greatly appreciated. We will be towing the Scamp 13 with a 2015 Toyota Tacoma 4 cylinder. Thanks and looking forward to camping with the Scamp.
Oski
Santa Cruz, CA
Oski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oski View Post
Hi Folks,
I have just joined this forum and appreciate it. We are planning on ordering a 13 ft. Scamp. Lots of conflicting info. out there on whether or not we'll need electric brakes. Any advice greatly appreciated. We will be towing the Scamp 13 with a 2015 Toyota Tacoma 4 cylinder. Thanks and looking forward to camping with the Scamp.
Oski
Santa Cruz, CA
Brakes are not required on a Scamp13 except in +- 4 or 5 states.

That being said, get them, you'll like them...
If for no other reason than for resale or for the possibility that you will use a different TV at some point. You'll have a better experience towing with trailer brakes with your Tacoma as well.
When I tow with my Ranger 4.0L,(bigger brakes) the trailer brakes are hardly needed, but I like them. In fact, I plan to increase from 7" brakes to 10" brakes on my 13 should I ever decide to change the axle.

Like good tires, or a friction sway device, or LED taillights, trailer brakes are an improvement whether required or not.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...l648/dl648pt12
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Ever priced a brake job on a Toyota?
I'd go with brakes on the trailer and less wear on the tow vehicle.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
While the Tacoma will stop with the Scamp attached it will stop a lot faster with brakes on the Scamp. Making for a far more comfortable tow.

As Glenn points out you will go through brakes faster on your truck without brakes on the trailer and the cost of an extra brake jobs on the truck would have paid for the addition of the brakes on the trailer a few times over.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #5

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Other specified options are about convenience and comfort.
Brakes are more about safety on slick (rain+mud or ice+snow) roads.
Just my 2 cents worth and maybe not worth even that. 😉
Ray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Brakes are not required on a Scamp13 except in +- 4 or 5 states.
Also except in a state or province (and there are a number of them) that has a law that requires the trailer to have brakes if its loaded weight is more than 50% of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.

The curb weight of a 4 banger Tacoma is between 3600lbs and 3800lbs depending on the which model. A loaded Scamp 13' can weigh loaded 1700lb to 2000lbs.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:48 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Absolutely get brakes!

Imagine yourself on a slick road, on a curve, and you have to stop fast. Without brakes, the trailer is likely to push the light rear end of your Tacoma around and jackknife.

If your trailer ever begins to sway for any reason, you simply apply the trailer brakes and it will straighten out.

Anyone advising against trailer brakes is giving you bad advice. Get them.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Also except in a state or province (and there are a number of them) that has a law that requires the trailer to have brakes if its loaded weight is more than 50% of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.

The curb weight of a 4 banger Tacoma is between 3600lbs and 3800lbs depending on the which model. A loaded Scamp 13' can weigh loaded 1700lb to 2000lbs.
We've been through this and lot those are pretty much included. (double it just for good measure)
I am still baffled at those who think that following some regulation is more important than doing the right thing... you left out the part of the quote where I recommended buying the brakes, even though they were not required in most of the country or California, because the brakes would improve the performance of the rig... "whether required or not".
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:15 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And then there is the fact that you will live much longer if you reduce stress on yourself and on your tow vehicle.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:54 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We've been through this and lot those are pretty much included. (double it just for good measure)
I am still baffled at those who think that following some regulation is more important than doing the right thing... you left out the part of the quote where I recommended buying the brakes, even though they were not required in most of the country or California, because the brakes would improve the performance of the rig... "whether required or not".

I left out your quote re recommending buying the brakes for improved performance, as you had already said it and as you can see in my first post I agreed with you ;-)

I simple added the legal requirement for brakes re weight of trailer being 50% of the vehicle, due to the fact that the OP may not be aware of the actual laws in regards to brakes. Would be a shame if they were to find out about it after the fact should they have an accident and the lack of brakes on the trailer is found to have been a contributing factor.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
YES get brakes. I too have a 13'er and would NOT be without them. It's better to have them and NOT need them than to need them and they're not there.

Yes, you can stop without them, but they WILL aid you in stopping in case of an emergency. I've always heard the rule of thumb is to set the brakes where you dont feel any difference with or without the trailer. That way, the trailer is stopping itself and not trying to stop itself AND the TV....and of course vice-versa.

That's my $worthless opinion on the subject....
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #12

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
When you need them - You really need them. It is far better to be safe than sorry. Do you have fire, smoke, propane and carbonmonixide detectors? You need them also.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #13

Name: Ryan
Trailer: shopping
Florida
You'll never notice them except when your controller is set wrong. I'd get them just because they're cool. However, realistically, they're an extra expense that will also add yearly maintenance. And when I say I'd get them I should qualify that I'd probably order the parts online and install myself. Definitely not pay dealer markup.
oldblacksmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
brakes

I kinda feel like that kid who is the last one, and the heaviest just about to jump on the pile. I don't want to do it Oski!
John
Old 10-08-2016, 09:23 AM   #15

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
My first egg was a 13' Casita without brakes. It towed nicely, and I never had any serious problems with braking. I tried to always leave plenty of braking distance in traffic and never got close to trouble. The only times I could feel the need for better braking were on long downhill runs where I could feel the trailer pushing me, especially when I applied brakes.
That's just for a little background and perspective. For all the reasons others have given, for peace of mind and added safety, I would never go without brakes again. I just didn't know any better back then.

Walt
Old 10-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #16

Florida
It's better than being the first kid who ends up under the pile. Just say it! A thirteen footer doesn't need brakes! Then get ready to be sued. My uhaul CT stops on a dime with my jetta. I was going to do brakes, but there's absolutely no need.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #17

Florida
My uhaul slows me on a grade. It's like having a parachute.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #18

Name: Steve and Carolyn
Trailer: Casita 17" SDX
California
California Camp Trailer Brake Minimum

Hi there--Err to the side of safety. Do you really want your trailer passing you when you stand on the brakes in an emergency? Do you really want your new trailer passing you when your hitch fails or breaks away from your tow vehicle. Do you really want to explain to your insurance company or in a law suit that you saved a lot of money ($5-600+ or -) by skipping on the safety brakes.

Taken in part from the California DMV on line:
"Trailer Brakes
In California, brakes are required on any trailer coach or camp trailer having a gross weight of 1500 lbs. or more. Usually the braking capacity on tow vehicles is good; however, it may not be good enough to safely stop the several hundred to several thousand additional pounds that your trailer weighs. Most conventional and fifth-wheel trailers have electric brakes, activated by a controller in the tow vehicle. The controller automatically coordinates the tow vehicle and trailer braking so the two systems work together when the brake pedal is applied."

If you skip the the electric brakes could you please post the geographical area you will be towing in especially if it is hilly or has mountains?

Good luck in you new purchase.
Happy camping.

Carolyn and Steve
"Little House on the Freeway"
Carolyn and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #19

Florida
On hills or mountains the trailer actually slows you. A Tacoma with a trailer actually stops better because of the stabilizing weight in the rear end. I don't mind saying it's great to have brakes. You can always throw out scenarios where they are better. I can also give scenarios where they are worse. For instance, improper adjustment causing overheating.
I once left a shop that adjusted my trailer brakes, and blew a tire shortly after because it overheated. I spent the night on the side of the road during hurricane Katrina. I wished I didn't have brakes as my f350 had plenty of power. Many times advice is for sympathetic agreement. In other words, I spent too much money and want everyone else to do the same so I don't feel like I made a bad choice. Iaccoca used to teach this as a sales tactic. People wanted their friends to purchase an automobile because they didn't want to feel like they made a poor choice. Anytime someone tries to get me to spend money by frightening me, I pause to consider. Another for instance. A mechanic who tells me "I don't necessarily need a part, but if it were his car,he'd replace it." I always ask which car is his, and ask permission to inspect it. Can't tell you how many times they've laughed, closed my hood, and agreed they wouldn't follow their advice. In conclusion, I'm not trying to say no to brakes, but a Tacoma is a very solid TV, and unless the owner just wants them, they are unnecessary. If he were pulling with a Yugo, now............ also, please consider that this isn't meant to be argumentative, but all viewpoints ought to be expressed when someone asks a question. This is a legitimate viewpoint. There is also the point that if you wish to avoid risk, definitely don't go camping.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #20

Florida
This is something like how I'd do it. Add Brakes to Your Trailer Basic Kit 3500 Axle 5 x 4 5 Electric Axel Replace | eBay

Tags
brakes, scamp