Brake Lights/Turn Signals Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Brake Lights/Turn Signals Scamp

Hi, Newbie here.
Recently purchased a 1981 13' Scamp.
The running lights and tail lights work. The lights even blink when locking my vehicle with the key fob.
But the brake lights and turn signals do not work.
I've rented moving trailers at UHaul and have never had a problem, so I don't think it's my vehicle.
Any ideas?
Thanks
jzaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
For best results take the trailer and the tow vehicle to a local RV repair shop. Messing with with the wiring could cause larger problems if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
For what it's worth...We had U-Haul install our new hitch system and discovered that the rear lights were not working...well the Yellowstone park police stopped us at night and told us so. When we got home (we drove only in daylight after that stop) we brought the TV to U-Haul and they discovered that the wiring for the back lights had NOT been installed! They fixed it and we've had no problem since.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:26 AM   #4

Thanks
Old 08-12-2016, 09:30 AM   #5

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
4 way trailer plug tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzaman1 View Post
Hi, Newbie here.
Recently purchased a 1981 13' Scamp.
The running lights and tail lights work. The lights even blink when locking my vehicle with the key fob.
But the brake lights and turn signals do not work.
I've rented moving trailers at UHaul and have never had a problem, so I don't think it's my vehicle.
Any ideas?
Thanks
This little tester has saved me some time before. Last year of course I left it at home when I went to AZ for 4 months.

Four-Way Trailer Light Tester
DuaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Use the 4-way tester suggested by DuaneQ. That will verify the signals from your tow vehicle are OK. If they are not, you might want to take your vehicle to a serviced center. If they are, then remove the brake/taillight lenses and check that the lamps are good. If not, then replace them. If they are, then use a multimeter to verify 12 volts is present in the lamp socket when the taillights are turn on or the brakes are pressed. If the other tests indicate the lamps are good, and the proper signals are coming from the tow vehicle, there will probably be no voltage present indicating an internal problem with the trailer wiring.
ravensrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our son had Uhaul install a brake controller and light wiring with a converter box that plugs into the tow vehicle wiring behind a rear panel. When he got to our house to pick up the trailer the lights on it did not work. They failed to install a fuse that powers the converter. So much for checking their work when done.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #8

Thanks

Planning on getting a tester this weekend. There's a Harbor Freight in the area. I installed the trailer wiring in our '05 Honda Element. I can't remember if there was a fuse or not. If the TV tests OK, think I'll just start looking for broken or frayed wires on the Scamp. The lights all seem to work, just don't respond to turn or brake signal. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our son's car is also a Honda, a Odyssey. The converter box for the trailer lights required power to it to operate. The way I figured out how to get power to it was to look at the installation instructions for that vehicle on etrailer.com. All I had to do was find a fuse panel inside the car on the right front kick panel and insert a fuse in a vacant slot. If it hadn't been for those instructions it may have taken quite some time to figure it out. Obviously the Uhaul shop didn't read all the directions, and certainly didn't check to see all was OK at the vehicle plug.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #10

Thanks for all the help. Got the little 4 way tester as suggested and to my surprise it was the TV. I tracked down the installation instructions from when I put in the wiring harness some years ago. I had added a fuse when installing and sure enough it had blown. So fixed now! Now what caused the fuse to blow? Who knows but I'm legal for now! ��

Tags
light, lights, scamp