Propane furnace on 13' scamp too much capaccity (BTUs) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 2010 13 ft Scamp
Propane furnace on 13' scamp too much capaccity (BTUs)

The factory furnace on our little 13' Scamp (2010) has so much capacity (BTUs) that it gets too hot, then too cold, as it cycles on and off. If output could be reduced, it would maintain a more stable temperature.
Any ideas ?
Larry Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yep..it's directly related to the location of that thermostat. I dont know your Scamp but I bet the thermostat is located at the end of your counter? If so, that is the problem as there is a "dead air" space there. I installed a Hunter digital thermometer on my Scamp a few months after I bought it new in '10 at the end of the counter. I thought it would "fix" it. I had another digital thermometer laying on the "bed" (I had the table down) and watched as the temp immediately started dropping about 8 deg to the Hunter's 1-2. I'm like WHAT????

I flipped the switch I installed to bypass the Hunter. Then I removed the Hunter (and it had the thermistor on the device in my hand) and I laid it near the other thermometer. It IMMEDIATELY begin changing to match the temps and I knew I had a serious problem. To make a long story short, I did some testing and installed a micro fan INSIDE my Hunter. The long part of the story is, I had to do alot of testing covering some of the intake holes etc to keep it from changing temps too fast. But after some serious experimenting, it now works PERFECTLY and has for the past 5 yrs without one min. problem. I can now control my A/C OR heat (my Coleman has the heatstrip) within 1 deg if I want. Talking about being comfy in a 13'??? Yes, it's now possible.

It's not your furnace as my 9200 BTU a/c is overkill as well.... it's the thermostat location. For your purpose and experimenting...place a small fan some where in the Scamp to blow the air over your thermostat and see if you can make a difference...I bet it does! Let me know if you try this.

Here's a link to my Hunter project. It was a VAST and valuable learning experience. I take NO responsibility/liability for anyone that would use my information should it not work for them. It's there for entertainment purposes only. But in reality, it changed my sleep at night in the Scamp!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57626806751813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Singer View Post
The factory furnace on our little 13' Scamp (2010) has so much capacity (BTUs) that it gets too hot, then too cold, as it cycles on and off. If output could be reduced, it would maintain a more stable temperature.
Any ideas ?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 13 ft Scamp
FANtastic reply to furnace regulation problem (pun intended)

What a FAN tastic reply !!!
Thanks Darral !!!
You must be an electrical engineer. But more, you had enough sense/logic to correctly diagnose this. I'm impressed.
I'll try installing a small 50 CFM cooling type fan and see how this works.
Your theory sounds quite plausible.

Larry Singer
Larry Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The thermostat that came with my Attwood furnace was a magnetic mechanical contraption and had terrible temperature swings built in within its design. Changing to an electronic digital thermostat made a huge difference in perceived comfort. Also adding reflectix bubble pack in the form of automotive sun shields over my windows really helped in removing some of the chill factor.
I also sleep much better with a Beanie on my head. The close proximity of all the windows around the bed doesnt help on cold nights.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wow... very nice compliment Larry! Didnt expect or deserve that. I hate to disappoint, but I"m not an electrical engineer. I've been around mechanical work and was a draftsman/machinist in my early years. Now I'm a lowly "IT" guy... . BUT, I love design and electronics and studying E as a hobby. I love tinkering and modifying. Check my other Flickr albums and you'll see more I've done to my Scamp- love the cordless drill mod on the front jack's crank! It and the digi therm are the best two mods I've done to my Scamp. The new door seal/handle runs close seconds! All of those are on the Flickr site as well. Hey..even sewed liners in my curtains.

Let me know what you accomplish with the fan. Trust me- be patient as it will take a little time to get it right. Never dealt with an "analog" thermostat but the airflow should still affect it the same...maybe not as precision and consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Singer View Post
What a FAN tastic reply !!!
Thanks Darral !!!
You must be an electrical engineer. But more, you had enough sense/logic to correctly diagnose this. I'm impressed.
I'll try installing a small 50 CFM cooling type fan and see how this works.
Your theory sounds quite plausible.

Larry Singer
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #6

Name: Tomodachi
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
I couldn't stand the jet engine noise with the factory furnace and bought a $20 bathroom heater (electric). It keeps the 13' Scamp comfortably warn into below freezing temperatures QUIETLY.
Tomodachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, propane, scamp