Formica backsplash over Scamp rat fur? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #41

Name: Brian
Trailer: 13 foot 1992 SCAMP
Arizona
Home depot sells these back splashes, not worried about heat from stove...it was easy to cut and adhesive caulked it to the rat fur
GROVER 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #42

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Ok Brian, what is it?

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #43

Arizona
Some sort of plastic to look like metal...covers the fur great. I am not sure why people want to save the Rat Fur...it kinda looks like ummm....rat fur!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #44

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well I want to cover it before I cook inside and it gets splattered on...and stinky

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #45

Arizona
I understand the need to cover the Rat Fur, but the trouble of making it reversible....my thought is just make the Scamp the way you want it, and enjoy! Scamps are not very aesthetically pleasing in the first place, the fun part is all the customizing that can be done, and it's simplicity compared to other campers. These small campers are like pets, they start to resemble their owners
Old 01-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #46

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Smile

Yeah, hummmm...my uhaul and I are old, a few wrinkles, not perfect, but parts of us work just fine and we enjoy the adventure! HA!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #47

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I might email Chandler, but if the screws that hold my window frame together are on the inside, couldn't I just remove them, pop out the frame cut the vinyl to fit perfect, put the frame and screws back together... doesn't seem too complex?
That's how Scamp has done it in the bathroom on my Scamp - cant see why you could not do the same.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #48

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Wow, what great ideas. I'm going to go to Home Depot, Lowe's, and Ace this weekend to take a look. The hardest part for me is just making a decision! Thanks for the idea, Brian -- I like what you used and if caulking and adhesive works, I'll probably just do that. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #49

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
No thanks to the adhesive. I want something I can remove if I grow tired of it, or if it gets damaged, or...

I'll stick with the Velcro since I can't figure out how Joy found enough space to slip hers in behind. My cabinets seem very tight, hard to get my fingernail behind.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #50

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
It's not tough to do Nancy, as the carpeting and bubblewrap insulation both compress easily. And Yes, it's a tight fit which is good. The linoleum is quite thick and it was a little tough pushing it behind the upper cabinet while at the same time over the window....while pushing behind the lower cabinet. I just took slow and easy.

One thing I didn't mention is that when I was plotting this mod I thought I wanted something clear to put up so I purchase several different products such as: plastic covers for florescent light and I don't what else. But they were too brittle. I managed to cut the window hole but they broke when I tried to put them over the window and behind the cabinets. I didn't want anything metal or industrial looking.

I've had my back splash up for I'm guessing 10 years or so. I've thought in recent times about changing it out and putting up something a little lighter in color. So that's on my list of potential projects.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:43 PM   #51

Name: John
Trailer: 2013 13' Scamp
Maine
Backsplash with tin looking tiles

Thanks to this thread, and this site, we make our first mod on our New to us 2013 13' Scamp. The first time we went camping on our trial run, we noticed any splatter from the cooktop would hit the rat fur. I agree with many here, that the standard for Scamp should be something other than fur behind the cooktop and sink area.

So, using the ideas here- especially @tractors1, we went to Lowe's, bought two 1.5' x 2' plastic tiles that look like tin $20 each). We also bought two edge pieces maybe $2 each. Lowe's have a few colors in stock, and some other designs you can special order. We were impatient so we just found a good pattern from what they had in stock.

LINK

We made a template for the window, transferred it to the tin (not very well), then cut out a hole using standard scissors. We cut this tall enough to slide between the counter top and rat fur, and also to slide between upper cabinet and rat fur. This "tin" is VERY flexible. I wanted to unscrew the window and place it behind the window to cover any mistakes - however I noticed the window is very tight against the fiberglass where as the counter and cabinet are not - so if I did put this behind the window it would certainly have an un-natural and weird bow to the "tin" all around the window because the window is so much closer to the outside fiberglass.

After doing some dry fitting, we figured we did need something to hold the tin/plastic closer to the side of the trailer. This tin goes right over where there is a curve in the egg, so it bows out if not held close to the side. We are trying velcro and crossing our fingers. I saw that @grover1.0 put adhesive right over the rat fur to hold his down. We wanted to be able to remove this - just in case we sell. We are trying the least invasive method first. If industrial velcro doesn't hold we also bought some very small drapery type hooks at Joanne and should be able to poke small holes in the plastic to make it work.

Industrial strength velcro was $12/yard. There was a great coupon for 50% off, so only $6/yard.

LINK

When installing this with velcro on the back, I held wax paper over the velcro and slid the tile into place. When I positioned the tile where I wanted it, I pulled the wax paper out on the side and pressed the velcro in place.
Attached Thumbnails
pic 1.JPG   pic 2.JPG  

pic 3.JPG   pic 55.JPG  

MrJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:49 AM   #52

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJohn View Post
...I agree with many here, that the standard for Scamp should be something other than fur behind the cooktop and sink area...
They offer a backsplash as an option. Given that a lot of us don't do much cooking inside our Scamps, perhaps that is good enough...

In any case, your solution looks much better!

BTW, time to change your profile from "shopping" to "2013 Scamp." Congratulations!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:18 AM   #53

Name: John
Trailer: 2013 13' Scamp
Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
They offer a backsplash as an option. Given that a lot of us don't do much cooking inside our Scamps, perhaps that is good enough...

In any case, your solution looks much better!

BTW, time to change your profile from "shopping" to "2013 Scamp." Congratulations!
Thanks for the tip on profile. I wish the Previous Owner knew we were going to purchase this from them, and knew we wanted the backsplash option
MrJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #54

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I have seen that sort of a glass small tiles put in these campers for a backsplash thinking about doing it myself1
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp