Scamp front cushions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #1

Name: Dick
Trailer: 13' SCAMP
Iowa
Scamp front cushions

I purchased a 1976 13' Scamp this Fall. I put a new axle under it, pulled all the upholstery out and wrapped it up at the storage yard for the Winter. I started reupholstering the cushions last week. The dinette seats went well, but I'm confused about the front seat/bed. Why is the bottom cushion made in 2 pieces? The piece that goes against the front wall is separate from the main bottom and is only about 6" wide. What is the purpose of this?
Dick Wolbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:11 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
If it is a Scamp with the front bunk, the skinny cushion infills the area between the bottom cushion and the wall for when the bunk is in the 'up' position.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #3

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
When in sofa mode, the little banana cushion sits on top of the sofa back and covers the little area where the bunk support poles are stored. When the back is flipped up for the bunk bed mode, the little banana cushion fills in the bottom bunk area previously occupied by the sofa back cushion.
Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:09 AM   #4

Name: Dick
Trailer: 13' SCAMP
Iowa
Thanks for the information. Now I can continue my upholstery project.
Dick Wolbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #5

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
When in sofa mode, the little banana cushion sits on top of the sofa back and covers the little area where the bunk support poles are stored.
This is news to me!

I've been storing my poles in the closet.

How are they properly stored?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post

Anywhere you want! 😄
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
This is news to me!

I've been storing my poles in the closet.
Me too. Wondering how the poles could be stored better. Did not know there was a "spot" that was intended to store them.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:25 PM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I store the bunk poles behind the "upper bunk" when in the down position. Then I place the "banana" cushion on top. I hide it all under the curtains.

Search some other FGRV entries as to how to turn the bunk poles into supports for the "gravel guard" thereby making an awning. Here is one http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-it-57702.html (mine is entry #8)
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:38 AM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Because we have the 54" bed, we have no closet; only the 12" "pantry" cabinet. When we picked up our trailer in Oct 2013, the bunk support poles were in that little area behind the top edge of the sofa back (top) cushion.
I think Jon is right .... anywhere you want and anywhere you can. I just know where ours were.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I just leave the little "banana" cushion down on the bottom in back all the time. It does push the upper bunk/sofa back out at an angle but I prefer the "laid back" aspect better anyway. That is the way it was when my old Scamp came to me and I did not know any better. It will all go away many years from now when my daughter gives up the upper bunk and leaves the nest. Then I will do a front dinette mod to carry me into retirement!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
From the factory, the banana cushion was behind the couch back against the front wall. This pushes the back/top bunk out so that the board doesn't get warped with a permanent dip in the middle.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Scamp front cushions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
When in sofa mode, the little banana cushion sits on top of the sofa back and covers the little area where the bunk support poles are stored.
That was news to me also, and when I cleaned out the trailer today after a recent trip, I decided to try it out, and discovered a cool bonus.

Bunk posts in space behind sofa back:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689_2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	79304
Upper bunk safety rail hangs over bunk support ledge:

Name:	IMG_0691.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	79305

Name:	IMG_0692.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	79306

Finding an out-of-the-way place to store the safety rail was the bonus. The banana cushion still fits neatly over the whole lot. Thanks, Ray!
Old 12-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That was news to me also, and when I cleaned out the trailer today after a recent trip, I decided to try it out, and discovered a cool bonus.

Bunk posts in space behind sofa back:
Attachment 79304
Upper bunk safety rail hangs over bunk support ledge:
Attachment 79305
Attachment 79306

Finding an out-of-the-way place to store the safety rail was the bonus. The banana cushion still fits neatly over the whole lot. Thanks, Ray!

The "banana" cushion is actually designed to go between the back/top bunk and the front of the trailer when the couch mode. The keeps the back/top bunk cushion from getting bowed by being pressed into the curve in the front of the trailer.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Scamp front cushions

I was going to try that out, too, but forgot. It would make set-up quicker, and the banana cushion always falls down as I drive anyway. At first I couldn't think how it would fit back there, but I guess if you turn it on its side, it creates enough space for the bottom of the backrest.

The more I learn, the more I am impressed with the thoughtfulness that went into this 45-year-old design. The bunk support ledge, as I discovered, is exactly the same length as the space between the bunk posts, so the safety rail just fits and cannot slide to the left or right. The depth of the ledge is just right to hold the two bunk posts snugly, so they won't slide or bounce out. The angle of the backrest is much more comfortable than the typical gaucho with a too-short, too-upright backrest. And it's amazingly quick and easy to convert.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The "banana" cushion is actually designed to go between the back/top bunk and the front of the trailer when the couch mode. The keeps the back/top bunk cushion from getting bowed by being pressed into the curve in the front of the trailer.
I thought the banana cushion was merely a filler to be put in the space between the bottom couch cushion and the front wall when you use it as a bunk bed set-up? We don't use the bunk beds, and leave the little cushion home. Exactly where would you place it and still be able to put the couch back in place? It doesn't seem like it would fit behind there, but our trailer is in storage, so I can't check now.

We use the ledge on top of the couch for the awning crank, bunk poles and flag pole. It works well for that.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I thought the banana cushion was merely a filler to be put in the space between the bottom couch cushion and the front wall when you use it as a bunk bed set-up? We don't use the bunk beds, and leave the little cushion home. Exactly where would you place it and still be able to put the couch back in place?
I leave the banana cushion in the same spot it belongs when using the lower bunk but I turn it on its side - simple drop the upper bunk down to create a couch. The back of the couch will be on a little bit of an angle but on mine its not much and or all that noticeable. I have also left it laying as it would be as a filler and been able to push to the back of the couch down - takes a good push though.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I thought the banana cushion was merely a filler to be put in the space between the bottom couch cushion and the front wall when you use it as a bunk bed set-up? We don't use the bunk beds, and leave the little cushion home. Exactly where would you place it and still be able to put the couch back in place? It doesn't seem like it would fit behind there, but our trailer is in storage, so I can't check now.

We use the ledge on top of the couch for the awning crank, bunk poles and flag pole. It works well for that.

Tom
First let me correct a statement I made. I doubt the placement will effect bowing of the top bunk.
I think it works better with screen door option in place. When I received my Scamp from Scamp it was in place behind the top bunk/couch back. I think I've moved it a couple times to clean around it. With it in place where it would be using the bottom bunk, the top bunk/couch back is lowered in place with the main bottom cushion removed. Once the back is in place the bottom cushion is put into place. The bottom cushion fits a bit tight between the kitchen counter and back on one end and screen door panel and back on the other end. This allows the back to have some slant to it.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Scamp front cushions

Tried it today, and it does work. If you turn the banana cushion on its long edge at the back of the bench, you can indeed lower the backrest and put the seat cushion in front. I don't notice any difference in the angle of the backrest - still has a comfortable slant. The seat cushion does fit more snugly than before, so I think Byron is right - it might not work as well without the screen door option. The cushion would tend to slide out past the edge of the bench near the door. The frame for the screen door acts as a stop. One more loose item neatly out of the way. Thanks, Byron!
Old 12-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #19

Name: sharon
Virginia
would a couple of well-placed Velcro dots help the banana in place?
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #20

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Byron you're a genius, Carol and Jon, thanks for checking that out. Now I'm anxious to try it myself. I guess the cushions fit so tight as a couch, I didn't try to stuff the banana behind the backrest. If it causes it to have a bit of slant; all the better. I've seen countless photos of the banana cushion balanced on top of the backrest. It never looked quite right, and it interfered with the curtains. I believe Scamp even recommends putting it on top. You learn something every day.

I was also thinking of looking for a way to mount a couple take-down fishing rods behind the couch some day. I'll have to see if there's still room for that. Our trailer is currently incarcerated in a U'haul storage lot for the winter. We're going to bust it out in Feb for some sun, sand and palm trees in FL. We can't wait!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp