How loud is the AC? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2017, 07:12 AM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: In the market
Arizona
Question How loud is the AC?

We've decided to get a Casita, and now I read a thread about how loud the AC unit is. I'm about as handy as a broken hammer, so fixing that problem is out of the question. I want a trailer I can hook up to and go without me having to make corrections or modifications. So, is the Casita a good choice for me?
Linda Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:22 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Its not the Casita, its the AC. The AC on my Escape is loud.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:45 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have a 2013 17 ft Casita SD with A/C.
I guess it's all in how you define "LOUD".
We do not find the noise generated by the A/C to be objectionable.
We sit outside our Casita with the A/C running and are able to hold a conversation speaking at normal levels.
The other approach is to buy a generator and use the noise from the generator to drowned out the noise from the A/C !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
The A/C is loud enough to drown out the sound of the generator running in the next site, or the drunken campers at 2 AM.. its perfect!

That tongue-in-check comment is meant to point out that people react very differently to the noise of the roof mounted A/C units in small RVs. I sleep very soundly with the A/C running but on the rare occasions when I use it during the day I do find it annoying.

There are two major components to the noise that the A/C makes so even if I could give you a decibel number, it might not be that much help. The first is the fan which runs continuously at the same speed and is akin to white noise. The other is the "thud" of the compressor kicking on, which sometimes even shakes the trailer a little. Neither bother me when I am sleeping but the later (compressor "thud") does seem to wake some folks. A solution for the later exists, allows one to use the A/C with a smaller generator, and is not too hard to install but it is not cheap.

Best to find someone nearby with a roof A/C in a small camper (any brand), and sit in it with the A/C on for a while.

PS.. I assumed you want to know how loud it is on the inside of the camper. Mine is actually pretty quiet OUTSIDE, so I don't worry about disturbing other campers so much.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #5

Name: Linda
Trailer: In the market
Arizona
Thanks, Gordon. Since we have yet to camp where we need ac at night, this may not be a problem for us. That plus the fact that we're both very hard of hearing. As long as we're not disturbing others, I'm good!
Linda Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Ever stay in a motel with that A/C under the window?
Love it! Especially since all the good motels are right next to an exit on the interstate.
Of course there is nothing says vacation like the musical sounds of 18 wheels on the pavement or Jake brakes on the off ramp....

All soothing compared to the quiet rustling, snorting or low growling noises just outside your tent at 2AM!

After 40 years in industry I'm just glad I can still hear all those little background noises!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:52 AM   #7

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
It is ridiculously loud and was embarrassing in a campground. I installed the hush kit myself following the excellent video on their site and the difference is amazing. Amazing. Worth every penny.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
If you are talking about outside noise you have two choices. casita will install the Mach 1 AC. That model is quiet, but it's about 13 inches tall. Or you can get the Mach 8. It's noisy but is about 8 inches tall. Then you can get a hush kit for that which is what I did.

About the hush kit: if you can use a drill, cut a piece of string, screw a screw in and close a chip clip you have all the skills needed to install the hush kit.
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #9

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
I have a 2014 Casita with the Mach 8 AC and find the noise level a non-issue. Some do however, so if this is deal breaker I would suggest you listen for yourself. I know of other potential customers who have done just that and afterwards wondered what all the fuss was about. I wonder that as well.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have a 2013 17 ft Casita SD with A/C.
I guess it's all in how you define "LOUD".
We do not find the noise generated by the A/C to be objectionable.
We sit outside our Casita with the A/C running and are able to hold a conversation speaking at normal levels.
The other approach is to buy a generator and use the noise from the generator to drowned out the noise from the A/C !
Adding another noisemaker does not "drown" out. It adds to.

Why would you waste energy cooling the inside when you're sitting outside???
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post

Why would you waste energy cooling the inside when you're sitting outside???
One possible reason....
At least thats why I ran mine this week while I watched the total eclipse. The heat index outside was near 100 F, inside with no A/C.. who knows.

(PS, a dog's nails can easily scratch the front plastic window in a Scamp)
Attached Thumbnails
scamp window.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #12

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Adding another noisemaker does not "drown" out. It adds to.
It's the same theory that's used with automobiles.
When your car starts making an irritating / strange noise you turn up the radio so you can't hear it.
It's called "Noise Cancellation"
Old 08-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Come to Tennessee and spend one of our lovely HUMID nights without the A/C. The next night run it. I guarantee you, you'll be saying: "WHAT noise?"
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #14

The Mach 8 is very noisey inside and out. I've been next to one trying to carry on a conversation and every few minutes is comes on and BOOM.
And it seems the frequent on and off of the compressor is planned that way.
Our 1999 dometic is very quiet inside and out.

At one time Casita would install a previous model that is quiet .
But you must ask for it. I don't know if they will now or not.
One thing maybe the only nice thing about the Mach8 is it's low profile.
There are two solutions to quiet it down, one the hush kit mentioned above for the fan and two the Micro-Air Easy Start that cuts out the boom of the compressor when it comes on.

Casita will tell you the noise problem has been resolved, not of a trailer delivered a year ago June.

This subject has been beaten to death on the Casita forum. Here's one of may threads on the Mach8 AC noise.
https://www.casitaforum.com/invboard...a-modified-ac/

I've seen and heard a stock Mach8 first hand and would be ashamed of it if it were mine.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:10 PM   #15

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
If you can overlook the extra few inches in height, ask Casita to install Mach 1 instead of Mach 8. Since it has a larger heat exchanger, it is more efficient and quieter.
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #16

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
I asked about the Mach 1 just before my Casita went into production a couple weeks ago. Carla, my sales rep told me the Mach 8 is now QUIETER than the Mach 1, that they can install. She discouraged me from switching to the Mach 1. I will have a couple days to listen to it before I see Larry. If it is annoying, I bet LHC can fix it.

Mark
Old 08-25-2017, 06:51 PM   #17

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Mc View Post
We've decided to get a Casita, and now I read a thread about how loud the AC unit is. I'm about as handy as a broken hammer, so fixing that problem is out of the question. I want a trailer I can hook up to and go without me having to make corrections or modifications. So, is the Casita a good choice for me?
We have a 17' 2007 Casita. It has a Dometic A/C. It is not a problem to sleep under it except for the air blowing down on us. I hate air blowing across me at night. Most have no problem with that. The noise is not a problem and I don't hear a loud thud when it kicks in. You hear a noise but it is not loud.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:54 AM   #18

MK
Last I heard was Larry won't touch the Mach 8 other then to replace it.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #19

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
I have a 2014 Casita with the Mach 8 AC and find the noise level a non-issue. Some do however, so if this is deal breaker I would suggest you for yourself. I know of other potential customers who have done just that and afterwards wondered what all the fuss was about. I wonder that as well.
Good advice !! It is a personal decision / preference / opinion.
Like Floyd , I spent my whole working career in refineries , foundries , industrial plants where noise is a fact of life.
I have 75% hearing loss related to my work so my Casita A/C sounds like a low rather pleasant hum.
For others who are use to being / working in rather quiet environments the noise from the A/C maybe deafening.
As Randy says take the time to listen to one in operation before making a decision you may regret.
As far a the A/C blowing cold air over the bed , to us that is one of its' best features.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:14 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
We have a 17' 2007 Casita. It has a Dometic A/C. It is not a problem to sleep under it except for the air blowing down on us. I hate air blowing across me at night. Most have no problem with that. The noise is not a problem and I don't hear a loud thud when it kicks in. You hear a noise but it is not loud.
I had the reverse problem in my class C. I cut a paper plate and was able to slide it in between the AC trim & ceiling to angle the air downward. You may be able to fashion something like that for the reverse.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita