Today's project - slat floor for Bigfoot shower - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Looks really nice. Fact of the business, that kind of thing really does not have to be all that tight to start with. A 1/2" small all around would not hurt anything and it would be easier to hook a finger under and take out and put back.
I have two small kids so to reduce the chance of them falling or pinching their toes, I intended it to fit tightly so there was no chance of it moving when they are in there. That is also why the slats are spaced so close together.

If it was just me using it I would have made it a little smaller and with slightly wider spacing between the slats but with kids, I had to "what if" this to death, as many parents typically do.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
I have two small kids so I had to "what if" this to death, as many parents typically do.
I get that, I have kids too. But sooner or later they need to learn that the world can be a harsh place, and you best don't stick your pinky toe in that crack.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #23

Alaska
Registry
Okay then. Thank you for your parenting tips.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:50 PM   #24

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
sorta timely for me....

really nice looking Junkie....

ever since the beginning of summer I've been looking for a procduct that I used in one of my boats for a cockpit liner that I figured would be just perfect for that wet bath "problem"...but couldn't find it to save my life

I thought of making a wooden one "a la Junkie" but I couldn't afford the headroom....(never occured to me to make it removable for showering)

anywho....YESTERDAY while stolling through Home Depot I finally came across the stuff I used years ago in that boat....one foot square, 3/8 thick, comes in package of ten for about fifteen bucks....so you need four to do the floor....clicks together and cuts easy with an exacto knife

it was the cockpit sole in that boat for ten years !!! and was still there when I sold it....talk about durable!

ANOTHER thing crossed off THE list
Attached Thumbnails
bath9.jpg   bath9b.jpg  

btiiii.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:54 AM   #25

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I wonder how one of these made out of composite deck material would work.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:21 AM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I'm sure it would work fine Lee, except it's going to weigh a lot more. That would make a great choice for an outside shower deck though.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:21 AM   #27

Texas
Registry
I never thought about the weight issue. I was looking at the Lowes link for the redwood and apparently it is unavailable at this time. So I typed in composite deck material and came across some composite redwood ballesters that looked like they would be very easy to turn into a shower mat.Shop ChoiceDek 14-Pack Coastal Redwood Composite Deck Baluster (Common: 31-in; Actual: 31-in) at Lowes.com
What do you think. Also I looked for a weight but didn't see one.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:26 AM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Looks like that would work Lee although I still think it would weigh more than using wood but it doesn't need sealing. If I was going to use that product I would cut them in half on a table saw for half the thickness. Use one side for the top slats and a four of the bottoms for the frame. Predrill and countersink for SS screws from the bottom up.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:03 AM   #29

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
For the Canadians on here I found some snap together grates at Dollarama that have wooden slats (cedar?). I had to cut them down to fit but worked great in the Casita. Sorry no pictures as its been put to bed for the winter.

Looks like Ikea also sells something similar Spa Bath Mat from IKEA outdoor decking - IKEA Hackers
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #30

Texas
Registry
Well I do have a table saw and cutting them in half sounds like a good idea. I have never worked with composite decking material so I'm not familiar with it but the pictures of wooden shower mats really look nice. How about bamboo. Would it stand up to getting wet. Or cedar? And if I go with some kind of wood what would the best sealant be?
Old 12-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #31

Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
I never thought about the weight issue. I was looking at the Lowes link for the redwood and apparently it is unavailable at this time. So I typed in composite deck material and came across some composite redwood ballesters that looked like they would be very easy to turn into a shower mat.Shop ChoiceDek 14-Pack Coastal Redwood Composite Deck Baluster (Common: 31-in; Actual: 31-in) at Lowes.com
What do you think. Also I looked for a weight but didn't see one.
I think this stuff would work great except for the thickness, which is 1-1/4 inches. If you can rip it down to a thinner piece, it may be ideal, maybe even better than wood with regards to durability.

I finally did my week-long fall camping trip and we used the shower almost every night. The slat floor worked perfectly. I removed it for showering and put it back in after everyone was done showering, which gave us a dry floor to stand on later but still allowed the floor to dry out during the night. I'm very happy with this addition so far.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #32

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
For the Canadians on here I found some snap together grates at Dollarama that have wooden slats (cedar?). I had to cut them down to fit but worked great in the Casita. Sorry no pictures as its been put to bed for the winter.

Looks like Ikea also sells something similar Spa Bath Mat from IKEA outdoor decking - IKEA Hackers

I bought some of these from the local dollar store. (For the balcony) They were bamboo. They turned black in just a few months. Recommend sealing them before use.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #33

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm CHEAP. I just throw an old towel down on the bathroom floor. Easy to pull out and shake outside. No crud on the bathroom floor either. Besides, it's warm on my tootsies for those nightime visits. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #34

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Not as pretty as that fine woodwork. It's almost too pretty to want to use it. LOL, But I have used Dri-Dek plastic locking panels for many years with great success, but then, I don't have your wood working skills.
DRI DEK Dri-Dek Panels | West Marine
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:09 AM   #35

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Oh I really like this idea. PLUS I have some cedar a special guy gave us that is gone now that I could use on this project. He would LOVE that! This one is on my to do list already! Now to get that wood sliced. THANK YOU for sharing!
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot