Tug for 1987 Bigfoot Fifth Wheel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2014, 06:12 AM   #21

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot Fifth Wheel
Texas
Dave, this sounds like excellent advice. Learn to do it right and then add technology to make it safer and easier. Like learning on a stick shift before getting an automatic.

I'll do it your way.

Changing lanes early is more good advice. It forces me to think about where I'm going and how I'll get there. Thinking ahead is rarely a bad thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Rich Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #22

Texas
Good morning y'all!

I ruled out 2015 because the dealers weren't willing to dicker on price. But they were offering great deals on the 14's. I was just about to go for one when a young lady called about 2013 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x2 3.5L ecoboost with 4,500 miles. CarFax was clean.

I told her my price for 2014 and her price wasn't good enough. Her sales manger would "work with once I got there". Nope. I need a better price to justify the drive. She said she'd talk to her manager.

She called an hour later with "he wants you to come in. He won't let leave without a great price." No! "What price would get you to come?" $25k. She put me on hold, came back in two minutes with a Yes.

Month-end, year-end, major model changeover, a fire in their showroom over Thanksgiving weekend... they were desperate to make their numbers. The stars were aligned.

I went, I looked, I liked. But I wanted my mechanic to check it over. He fit me in, he liked the truck, I closed the deal.

It doesn't have everything I wanted but it has everything I need at a delightful price! They're putting on LoJack today, then I'll drive it home.

I'll ask what they want to upgrade the mirrors.

I'm set to go. Retire Jan 15; honey dos for a week; hit the road for Oregon. It will be a long, leisurely trip home.

Maybe I'll see you at Escapade. Look for the Fire Blue F150 with an 87 Bigfoot. Stop in and check it out. I'll make you a cup of my home roasted, hand ground, brewed a cup at a time coffee. (I can do tea too, but it's ordinary.)

Thanks for all your wonderful advice!

Old 12-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ess View Post
I can see the benefit of not having to bother with strap-on extended mirrors. Unfortunately, I don't think Ginny will buy, "I need a 2015 so I can have extended mirrors!" Ha!
No need to buy a new truck in order to get extended mirrors! There are lots of after market options out there that are not strap on!

Alf posted a great option for extended mirrors for our trucks and supplier of his has them for other makes as well. The link to the actual mirror part 1AMRP01310 Alf Used is here. Also AutoAnwhere has a number of mirror replacement options as well.

But then again if you want to try and tell Ginny there is no option but a new truck I fully understand!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #24

Texas
Hi Carol,

Those mirrors Alf put on his Nissan are handsome! Unfortunately that company doesn't have for my truck. But I can order very nice Ford OEM towing mirrors that are plug and play. They're quite reasonable.

Somehow I don't think Ginny would fall for "gotta have a new truck for the mirrors".

Well my new truck is home. I'll order the mirrors tomorrow.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:13 AM   #25

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I am not surprised that the dealer would not budge on the price of a new 2015. Congrats on the deal you got on the 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ess View Post
Good morning y'all!

I ruled out 2015 because the dealers weren't willing to dicker on price. But they were offering great deals on the 14's. I was just about to go for one when a young lady called about 2013 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x2 3.5L ecoboost with 4,500 miles. CarFax was clean.

I told her my price for 2014 and her price wasn't good enough. Her sales manger would "work with once I got there". Nope. I need a better price to justify the drive. She said she'd talk to her manager.

She called an hour later with "he wants you to come in. He won't let leave without a great price." No! "What price would get you to come?" $25k. She put me on hold, came back in two minutes with a Yes.

Month-end, year-end, major model changeover, a fire in their showroom over Thanksgiving weekend... they were desperate to make their numbers. The stars were aligned.

I went, I looked, I liked. But I wanted my mechanic to check it over. He fit me in, he liked the truck, I closed the deal.

It doesn't have everything I wanted but it has everything I need at a delightful price! They're putting on LoJack today, then I'll drive it home.

I'll ask what they want to upgrade the mirrors.

I'm set to go. Retire Jan 15; honey dos for a week; hit the road for Oregon. It will be a long, leisurely trip home.

Maybe I'll see you at Escapade. Look for the Fire Blue F150 with an 87 Bigfoot. Stop in and check it out. I'll make you a cup of my home roasted, hand ground, brewed a cup at a time coffee. (I can do tea too, but it's ordinary.)

Thanks for all your wonderful advice!

Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot