Scamp 13' Deluxe w/ dinette - cramped? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-30-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Illinois
Scamp 13' Deluxe w/ dinette - cramped?

We're looking at a new 13' Scamp Deluxe with front dinette. I've had trouble finding good photos, but the ones I've seen make the dinette look rather cramped and uncomfortable. I know the table is 26"x28" which is fine, but the seats look small.

Some people seem to put in swivel seats of the sort you might see in a fishing boat.

With the table down, it seems like a non-adult bed (which we don't need) or a sofa without rear cushions.

Any opinions? Is this an awkward configuration?
Steve Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
You'll get many opinions from forum members. Here's my opinion...

We have a 13' Scamp, not deluxe. For two adults we find it to be very comfortable. See my photos (before I "glamped" it up). For some reason, I never took photos of the table/dinette... probably because we almost never use it. Our camping trips have been mostly in good weather and we hike all day. As a result we are in the trailer only for a simple and quick breakfast and to read in bed/sleep. Most of our cooking/eating is done outside. So, you see, we rarely need to use the dinette configuration.

One advantage to having the "basic" version is the trailer is much lighter and easier to tow. Notice we tow with a Subaru Legacy sedan!
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 001.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 002.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 003.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 005.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 043.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #3

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
I think they are referring to the FRONT dinette, which is only an option with the deluxe. To me from what I've seen in pictures it doesn't look cramped... small, yes, but not too small for two people.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #4

California
Registry
Thank you. I'm suggesting that a dinette may not be needed at all. We were quite surprised that we did not feel a need for a dinette after we had camped for awhile. At first we thought we'd need to take down the dinette and set up the bed EVERY DAY. Thankfully, we do not feel the need for the reasons stated previously. You can save a lot of money and still have a lot of fun by getting a 13' Scamp with the basic layout.

Of course, I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I want you to consider your options, weigh your needs vs. "must-haves" and make the best informed choice for your style of camping.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp 13' Deluxe w/ dinette - cramped?

More options... I can't speak to the comfort of the front dinette in the deluxe version, but there are some variations Scamp will accommodate. They will leave out the cabinet in the left front corner so the bed can fit a full-size person if needed. That would also make a roomier seat on that side (but you'd lose valuable storage space, of course). They will also put in the convertible sofa/bunks from the standard version if sleeping space is important. Personally I think the sofa is fairly comfortable as small RVs go. Unlike a lot of RV seating, the backrest is tall and nicely angled. But then you give up the table.

Best thing, if you can, is to get inside one for yourself. Scamp keeps a file of current owners willing to demo their units. May be a long shot, since the layout you are considering isn't too common, but it's worth asking. You could also post a request here. BTW- I think one of the 16' deluxe models has the same front dinette set-up.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Member "Big Eddy" is selling one just like that in Oregon. Maybe you can PM or email him and ask him how his front dinette feels.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:11 AM   #7

Name: Neck
Trailer: Scamp
New York
subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
You'll get many opinions from forum members. Here's my opinion...

We have a 13' Scamp, not deluxe. For two adults we find it to be very comfortable. See my photos (before I "glamped" it up). For some reason, I never took photos of the table/dinette... probably because we almost never use it. Our camping trips have been mostly in good weather and we hike all day. As a result we are in the trailer only for a simple and quick breakfast and to read in bed/sleep. Most of our cooking/eating is done outside. So, you see, we rarely need to use the dinette configuration.

One advantage to having the "basic" version is the trailer is much lighter and easier to tow. Notice we tow with a Subaru Legacy sedan!
I see you have a Legacy. I have a Forester. Subaru states you can tow 1000 lbs without brakes. Anything over must have brakes. From what I see most 13's are at least 1500 lbs. No problem towing ? Did you install brakes ?
Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sutton View Post
We're looking at a new 13' Scamp Deluxe with front dinette. I've had trouble finding good photos, but the ones I've seen make the dinette look rather cramped and uncomfortable. I know the table is 26"x28" which is fine, but the seats look small.

Some people seem to put in swivel seats of the sort you might see in a fishing boat.

With the table down, it seems like a non-adult bed (which we don't need) or a sofa without rear cushions.

Any opinions? Is this an awkward configuration?
Bottom Line: If you want a trailer that's small on the outside, but has both a bed and a separate dinette, it's gonna be a little on the small side. I tried the front dinette out on a fiends SCAMP and it was fine for us and my S.O. of the time wanted me to build the same thing into the Lil' Bigfoot we had at that time. We are both on the smaller than average side and it was OK for us, but for more ample folks it will be a bit tight. Best bet is to ask here and at Scamp as to where you can test-fit one and see if it will work for your needs.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #9

California
Registry
Nick,
Yes, we did install brakes. We have had no trouble towing in the 3 years we have owned our 2011 Scamp with the Subaru Legacy Sedan, manual transmission. We LOVE our Subaru (Volvo convert).
Old 10-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #10

Name: Neck
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Thanks for letting me know. Once I drove a Subaru I was hooked. I want a new OUTBACK but my 06 Forester with 121,000 on it runs way to good to give up right now.
Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp