Full timing in an egg? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #41

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Interesting thought David,

It made me realize that most of what we have in our home is memory stuff, tools and space for others.

The memory stuff is interesting because when you die hardly anyone wants what seemed so important to you. I think our value to other is in other's memory of the good deeds you may have performed for them. I think of my wonderful mother-in-law's kindness frequently yet I realy have nothing physical from her. Her legacy lives well in those who knew her.

If I did not have a home I would need a tool space like you. Definitely important to me.

As well our little home provides a place for us to welcome family and friends, absolutely critical for Ginny, even though we may only use it for that purpose 1-5 months a year.

Glad to know I have a friend with a tool depository....
Norm,
A few years ago I threw out every memory. Every photo, except a few of my dogs, every slide, every award, every keepsake, .....everything. It wasn't worth paying to store. I never looked at that stuff because it always left me feeling melancholy. When I'm gone some county official will back a dumpster up to my trailer, load it up, toss me on top, and haul it all off anyway. What I have that means anything exists in my head. A home is a place for family, past and present. Someday I would like to have a shop again, but I won't be needing a home.

You are welcome to share my tools anytime

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #42

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Boler
Send a message via MSN to James Hutt Send a message via Yahoo to James Hutt
Thanks for the help Donna. Finally got it right.
James Hutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #43

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hutt View Post
Thanks for the help Donna. Finally got it right.
My pleasure James. Thanks for sharing the pictures! I'm living vicariously
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #44

Name: Andrew
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17SD
Texas
There is a man on the Casita Club and Casita Forum sites that has been fulltiming in a Casita 17 s.d. for a long time(more than 8 yrs) His name is Ed he goes by "Dutchman"
Check his writings he is very informative and he lives quite well!
andy101usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #45

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
James, it looks like you where living the dream of most of us. Thanks for posting pics! I hope to do the same someday
I agree about living the dream! How difficult was/is it to bring your trailer into Mexico, James?
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #46

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Having an older rig probably helped when traveling Mexico... I would guess it marked James as someone who wasn't a good target for a "shakedown".
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #47

Had to register the trailer and car at the border point and obtain a certificate of importation and show proof of Mexican insurance on both. Took me about two hours to do that and I was on my way south without a clue about where I was going to land.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #48

I received nothing but friendly help from the Mexican people during my travels in their country. I did try to keep a very low profile and to learn to speak Spanish.
Returning there now I would choose to leave my rig at home and use the public transportation system. Its cheap, safe and well developed. Should write a blog sometime about my experiences in that amazingly interesting country.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #49

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Yes, please do write a blog about your trip!

There's a fellow on the Teardrop and Tiny Travel Trailer forum that goes down to Mexico, stays in the lesser known or busy beach areas, and fishes and explores. His descriptions of his travels make me want to explore too, but first I have to learn more Spanish than what I can decipher from my very rusty French and what I remember from watching Sesame Street with my three sons.

This looks interesting...
How to Learn Spanish Online for Free
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #50

Trailer: Aliner
James, thanks for posting the pictures and for a little more info on your travels in Mexico.
Quote:
I received nothing but friendly help from the Mexican people during my travels in their country. I did try to keep a very low profile and to learn to speak Spanish.
That's the same thing Tioga George says about his travels in Mexico... except for the low profile, maybe. He learned Spanish and enjoys mixing with the locals, and has thoroughly enjoyed the people and the places.

Sorry for the late reply, but I have been without internet access.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #51

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more has just began to fulltime in a 17' Casita recently.

http://sunseekerimages.blogspot.com/ Roadcam is a retired trucker, still sleeping with 'wheels under the bed'.

http://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/ - Tioga George, http://vagabonders-supreme.net/TiogaMagazine.htm , has been fulltime for several years, often in Mexico, in an older A-class. http://vagabonders-supreme.net/Mexico_Chance.html
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #52

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hutt View Post
Returning there now I would choose to leave my rig at home and use the public transportation system. Its cheap, safe and well developed. Should write a blog sometime about my experiences in that amazingly interesting country.
But that would mean staying in hotels, different beds all the time, no kitchen to call your own while you travel. I would like to hear more about your view of the pros and cons of the two different travel methods within Mexico. (I might be exploring Mexico myself someday soon.)
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #53
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Here's another couple fulltiming in a Casita:
Imperfect Destiny
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #54

I found it best to find a place you like, rent a small apartment, and base your travels from there via the bus systems. Advantage is cheap travel costs and no driving hassles. Driving in Mexico is a heads up job. Inexpensive hotels are easy to find if you ask around. I avoided the usual tourist destinations.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:32 PM   #55

Trailer: Pop-up
Registry
We've been fulltiming in a 17' Casita Liberty (with a dog & 2 cats) since the end of May 2011. We've worked/lived at a couple of campgrounds & are now running a Christmas tree lot in San Antonio. It's intense, but will plump up the bank account a tad. Our plan is to travel & work some while investigating a new area. We live outside as much as is comfortable & are trying to "follow the sun". When 'outside' is uncomfortable, my 'egg' is oh so cozy.
Casita Escapes blog & photo albums
GlendaW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper