Cleaning and protecting our Egg Camper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I also think that Red Max may not be the answer for everyone but not due to a perceived color cast. I like the look of aged amber more than I like the look of aged and chalky gelcoat. If I had a new trailer with a lot of shine, floor wax wouldn't be my first resort. Despite the admission that Red Max Pro is merely an expedient, simple and inexpensive corrective and protective coating for aged glass trailers (actually that wasn't that hard to admit!), it does fill one requirement of the OP: sheds splashed bugs and bug doo with an easy water only spray off.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
Twice a year, we use the same paste wax we use on the fiberglass boats: 3M Ultraperformance marine wax, with UV inhibitors. It does a great job of protecting from the Florida sun, and makes cleanup easier, too. Don't forget the roof--it gets the most sun. I use the same wax on the vertical parts of the fiberglass interior, but only once a year.
Sherry
3M Marine wax and cleaning products get my vote as well. Most of the bugs from a recent 3000 mile trip washed off with out a problem and there were lots of them! If the bad onces left a stain I used a little 3M Clean and Wax on a micro cloth & lightly rubbed- all good.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 5th Wheel
Oklahoma
I use Simple Green Purple.

I mix into a hand bottle sprayer, run a brush (lightly) over the area you are concentrating on, then rinse.

This has worked great for me.
John Cotrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
A trailer that still has its original shine can be maintained with wax. When I had a new Casita I used Gel Gloss with great results for the three years I had it. I have also bought several old chalky trailers. No amount of waxing and buffing seemed to bring back a new-looking gloss. So I tried the Red Max Pro with very pleasing results on my ten year old Bigfoot. I have not had any yellowing that I can detect after about 10 months.

As for cleaning, I also found out about Barkeepers Friend powder cleanser on the Red Max thread. I really swear by it for removing those hard to clean bug and tar splatters.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #25

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Murphy's Law

Sturdy is as sturdy does. Last year a bird told me it would be a snowy winter here in the higher elevations so to be safe I kept the Scamp in the yard but under a canopy I thought was sturdy. After it collapsed in a storm, more snow, thawing and freezing, the heavy ice built up in the canopy sag was unbudge-able until March. Fortunately, Scamp damage was minor.
Attached Thumbnails
scampint01.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #26

Name: Tom
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
Anyone know where to buy Red Max Pro in Canada?

Thanks! Tom
thostorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:06 AM   #27

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by thostorey View Post
Anyone know where to buy Red Max Pro in Canada?

Thanks! Tom
You buy Zep (wet floor look) at Home Depot. It's the same product.
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper