Restoring a Play-Mor II ('87 I think) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2008, 04:38 AM   #1

Trailer: Play Mor II 1987 and Home Built Teardrop
I have the Play-Mor basically stripped inside. Windows next (remove, recaulk, reinstall)

Question:
The moulding that joins the Top Section to the Bottom Section (I'm assuming that there are two molded sections -- Top and Bottom and they are joined in the middle by the molding). It goes completely around the entire trailer.

Should it be removed,recaulked,reinstalled --- OR Should I just leave it alone? Previous owner(s) Siliconed it and made a complete mess of it -Geez!!!
What is involved with this step in Restoration???

Sorry if this has been covered in a previous post. Maybe a referral??

Geron
Geron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
I'm not sure on your play-mor but if it's anything like a scamp, maybe my info will help. On our 88 rebuild we drilled all of the rivets holding the belly band in place, removed the band by carefully pulling it away from the camper to slightly bend/stretch it outwards. We then polished the band with 400 grit sand paper, and cleaned the seam surface. After our repaint we filled any openings in the seam with a sealer, re-installed the band with new rivets and completed the installation with new sealer along the top of the band. The seam on our Scamp was already sealed together on the inside with fiberglass, but we found a couple of spots that were missed in the original construction phase. We glassed these holes shut as well.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:53 AM   #3

Quote:
I'm not sure on your play-mor but if it's anything like a scamp, maybe my info will help. On our 88 rebuild we drilled all of the rivets holding the belly band in place, removed the band by carefully pulling it away from the camper to slightly bend/stretch it outwards. We then polished the band with 400 grit sand paper, and cleaned the seam surface. After our repaint we filled any openings in the seam with a sealer, re-installed the band with new rivets and completed the installation with new sealer along the top of the band. The seam on our Scamp was already sealed together on the inside with fiberglass, but we found a couple of spots that were missed in the original construction phase. We glassed these holes shut as well.
Thanks,Very helpful . . .
There is so much "gunk" and silicone on this "belly band" that I'm sure it had begun to leak, inspiring previous owners to respond with silicone. Therefore, I'm sure it needs to be removed and restored/rebuilt. I just didn't know what I would find as I began the surgery.

I had no idea the band was riveted in place. I'll dig around in the silicone and look for the rivets. I'll check the inside seam as well.

Again, Thanks . . . very helpful.

Geron
Old 05-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #4

Ok, so it's two months later but I've been busy . Heck, I don't even fish. We're in the process of moving.

So I am going to have to remove the Belly Band on the Play-Mor. The Factory sealant long ago rotted out and Previous owner/owners filled it with Silicone .

What sealant is recommended for reinstallation?
I have considered Urethane Caulk between the top and bottom halves before replacing the trim/molding. Then more caulk around the top of the trim after installation. That would make future removal extremely difficult it seems.

Ideas? Experience?
Geron
Old 05-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with using Silicone... for cosmetic purposes ONLY. It's when it's used for the "supposed" sealing properties problems arise.

Maybe consider using a mold/mildew resistant caulk typically used to seal bathroom tubs, etc. Most important, remember clear caulk doesn't stay clear very long.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with using Silicone... for cosmetic purposes ONLY. It's when it's used for the "supposed" sealing properties problems arise.

Maybe consider using a mold/mildew resistant caulk typically used to seal bathroom tubs, etc. Most important, remember clear caulk doesn't stay clear very long.
Picture

Evidently they used it (silicone) for sealant and Smeared it on. Probably never heard of masking tape. It's a mess.

The belly band looks like this also. I've had much better luck with Urethane caulk rather than Silicone. Definitely Mildew/Mold resistant. I spent all day removing/restoring window/scrapping gunk. The Belly bands gonna be a mess.

Geron
Old 05-08-2008, 06:31 AM   #7

Got the Windows out of the Play-Mor II and discovered they are

HEHR windows.

Question for the Guru's/Experienced. Are these good/reliable windows once they have some age on them or should I consider replacements??

Just don't have experience with this type window.

Geron
Old 05-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Got the Windows out of the Play-Mor II and discovered they are

HEHR windows.

Question for the Guru's/Experienced. Are these good/reliable windows once they have some age on them or should I consider replacements??

Just don't have experience with this type window.

Geron
A very large portion of all RV manufactured in the U.S. use Hehr windows. You will find they're VERY expensive to replace (in the grand scheme of things). If there's something wrong with them, they can be repaired. Click here for information from the left navigation bar: Windows and Window Parts
Old 05-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #9

Quote:
A very large portion of all RV manufactured in the U.S. use Hehr windows. You will find they're VERY expensive to replace (in the grand scheme of things). If there's something wrong with them, they can be repaired. Click here for information from the left navigation bar: Windows and Window Parts
Excellent, Thanks.

Seems the biggest problem with the windows was the former owner let the weep holes clog. I dismantled the windows, pulled the glazing strips, cleaned, put a spot or two of caulk here and there, enlarged weep holes, reconstructed and will remount. I think they will be fine. If not I now know how they are put together!!!

Ok, Ok, I'll look to the left now before I post.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #10

Yeah, really not much can go wrong with a window other than gaskets (jalousie are another matter, but even they're repairable). Be sure to get some fresh Butyl tape for the installation and you should be good to go for YEARS.

Tags
play-mor, play–pac