New Northern Lite? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #1

Name: Rich
Trailer: In the market for Northern Lite
Virginia
Cool New Northern Lite?

Ok I'm retired navy 21 yrs and drove 1.5 million miles with girlfriend as a team. We are the best of friends and together 24/7 we sold the 18 wheeler and now have a ram 3500 drw 5.9 diesel 4 doors 8'bed with a payload of 4806 pounds. We are looking at the new 10 2 special edition Northern Lite to visit all the places that you can never see in an 18 wheeler. We think we have narrowed it down to that or the Bigfoot. Anyone know if one is built better than the other.
Richandtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:32 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Bigfoot is very well built solid molded fiberglass, can be configured for 3 or 4 season use. Northern Lite is an assembly of studs and panels with seams. Over your next 1.5 million miles, which would survive the road potholes and vibrations better?

Don't see many old Northern Lites, but quite a few Bigfeets........

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:39 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I believe you are talking about camper inserts. You might be better off on some other site. This site specializes in towable molded fiberglass trailers.

Looks like both are molded fiberglass so you might want to check in with forums for both Northern Lite inserts and Bigfoot inserts.

I hope you enjoy what ever you decide.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:46 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Northern Lite used to manufacture trailers so the OP may be referring to those. Bigfoot still markets trailers.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:01 AM   #5

Registry
The OP mentioned a large pickup and new 10 2 special edition Northern Lite I looked up the that model on the Northern Lite site. It's a camper insert and apparently don't make a towable any more. Big Foot also makes a camper insert.

Northern Lite used to make a molded fiberglass hybrid. I don't know when they stopped making it.

The word "new" and the 10.2 model is the tip off.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Bigfoot is very well built solid molded fiberglass, can be configured for 3 or 4 season use. Northern Lite is an assembly of studs and panels with seams. Over your next 1.5 million miles, which would survive the road potholes and vibrations better?

Don't see many old Northern Lites, but quite a few Bigfeets........
Looks to me like they are still molded fiberglass... Actually I have seen more Northern Lite slide-in campers than BigFoot campers in my travels.
Link: http://www.northern-lite.com/truck_camper_special_102.php

But again, there may be more info on the slide-in truck camper sites than hereabouts.

Me thinks the plural of BigFoot is BigFoots.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #7

Name: Rich
Trailer: In the market for Northern Lite
Virginia
I realize that most here are using trailers that pull behind and what I am talking about is a slide in truck camper but they are both fiberglass and this forum is about fiberglass rv's. That is why I posted here. There seems to be a lot of great information available from members here. And sitting in my side yard is a 1994 31 1/2 foot ford based pace arrow and with that 460 engine drinks too much fuel. So with the extra funds needed to keep insurance on another vehicle and tags it just makes more sence to go the truck camper route we both are extremely comfortable driving something bigger. We just think that a fiberglass RV is the way to go.
Richandtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #8

Rather than trying to redefine the home pages opening statement:
"Welcome to FiberglassRV.com your Molded Lightweight Fiberglass Travel Trailer RV website! This website is intended as a free resource for those who are looking for, or who own, molded fiberglass travel trailers."

Suffice to say that, you are welcome to join in with the other 3 or so slide-in camper owners on the site.

But, for many of the questions and issues that pertain to specific slide-in campers, (remember, they are carried, we deal with towing, about the same difference as a box truck and a semi I'd guess) you may not find as much expertise here as on a slide-in truck camper site, of which there are many.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #9

Name: milton
Trailer: Northern Lite
British Columbia
Registry
I purchased the last Northern lite trailer from the factory in Kelowna.Thet now make only slidein campers.They are not stick frame but are moulded fiberglass of highest quality.
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #10

Built Kelowna. No wonder I have seen so many of them up and down the Route 97 corridor.....
BTW: Milt, did you get the Northern Lite with the tip out front bed?

Old 11-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #11

Name: milton
Trailer: Northern Lite
British Columbia
Registry
No Bob,The last run of trailers didn't come with the front tipout.It has a better floor plan and no chance of leaks.The trailer was their show model so it has nice options,861 kg's wet.Love it!
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #12

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I had the pleasure of touring a Northern Lite truck camper insert this summer in Vermont. It seemed to be a very high quality unit that surprised me in so many ways. Top quality cabinets and had everything from nice kitchen area to bathroom. A real suprise! It out classed every fiberglass trailer I have seen to date! It also had a surprising amount of storage space considering it all fit on a pickup truck. The owners were on the way to Alaska!

Overall I would give the entire package a 10...perfect in every way!

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:45 PM   #13

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
boys be nice
if i did not have a camper and was looking that would be ok but a truck camper no ?
This site is much more than just camper . i could read about Norm and gene all day . fulltime , parks , cooking , all thing camping camping with friends
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #14

The point is that many, if not most discussions are hardware and towing related and the scope of this site is, according to the statement on the home page by the owners, designed for Molded Fiberglass Trailer owners and wanntabe owners.

If Joe Truck Camper owner is looking for information about different truck campers, or dealing with issues in those units, this is not as useful a site as is one for truck campers.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRClaus View Post
boys be nice
if i did not have a camper and was looking that would be ok but a truck camper no ?
This site is much more than just camper . i could read about Norm and gene all day . fulltime , parks , cooking , all thing camping camping with friends
Please understand that nobody is trying to drive the OP or anybody away. The scope of this site is primarily that of molded fiberglass towables. He needs might be better served at some site that specialized in camper inserts. He's not the first one to have an camper insert in a truck and be part of the rallies and conversations here. So, of course he's welcome as well as some of the sticky guys.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I think the OP had the right idea to ask here about a comparison between NL's and BF's construction strength, quality, etc. Because the quality and durability of those brands of trailers will carry over to their truck campers (TCs).

Unfortunately (and what the OP probably could not know), there were very few NL trailers built and I don't know if we have more than one or two NL trailer owners as members here. So the data set is might small for that brand. Bigfoot owners we have, but not NL owners.

I've not run across any disgruntled BF owners around FGRV. There have been a couple of threads about owners needing to strip out wood around their vent opening to rebuild that area, due to a leak around the vent; but that is possible with any roof vent and is mostly preventable with maintenance. And I also frequent Woodalls/RV.net forum, which has a bunch of NL TC owners; again, I've not heard any complaints from them about their units.

I hope that helps.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
northern lite