Rebuild of 1988 Casita 16 - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2017, 05:13 AM   #61

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
You may have used too much hardener. But, Epoxy usually cures too quickly when it's mixed in a container where the exposed surface area is too small in relation to the volume - so that the heat of the reaction cannot be dissipated quickly enough. Mixing the epoxy on a flat surface (like a polyethylene plate or a wide shallow bowl) will give it much more surface area vs volume, and the heat will dissipate. It'll also give you a longer cure time.

There are those who recommend refrigerating the base and the catalyst before mixing it, but I don't care for that, since it changes the viscosity and makes it harder to mix.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #62

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I may have messed up the ratio. The next batch worked just like always. same size mixing container, same size batch. I like the air temp mixing, don't think the cooling would be helpful for mixing. Guess it will be a good reminder to make sure I have everything right each time,
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:09 PM   #63

Illinois
We have been having a lot of rain, and a Grandchilds birthday party, so tonight was the first time back in a while. I worked on getting a few of the things done inside, fixing holes, etc. Also cut out the back bed so that I could make the larger water tank fit.

Then I spent some time getting the windows ready to go back in. The rear window had an air conditioner mounted in it, so the window will need the glass replaced. Took the window apart, and will replace the three part window with one single polycarbinate one.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a nice day, and I can finish the outside cleaning, and gel coat the repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-10-15 18.19.55.jpg   2017-10-15 18.20.00.jpg  

2017-10-15 18.19.15.jpg  
Old 10-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #64

Illinois
Earlier in the week we had a lot of beautiful weather, so I was able to get some things worked on. Scrubbed the whole outside and cleaned everything up, sanded some of the spots that needed it, and I noticed that the water was pooling in front of the 2" build for the fan, so I started filling it with Bondo Glass to take care of that. Also multiple coats on the last of the fill ins, decided also to fill in one more hole next to the door. I think I will only need to have the one for the A/C that I will mount there. The heat will be electric, when plugged in, extra blankets when not. I think if I have most everything sealed well, it will stay warm enough during the late fall early spring when we do a little camping further south. I am still hoping to get out yet this year with it. But the weather will include rain this weekend, so need to be water tight soon.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-10-20 13.13.55.jpg   2017-10-20 16.16.11.jpg  

2017-10-20 16.14.27.jpg   2017-10-20 16.15.34.jpg  

Old 10-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #65

Illinois
Worked a little on getting started thinking through the electrical. Will mount the two batteries in the front where the tow wires come in. I will have the connection box there, and then #10 wire to the converter. I will need to test all that yet, but plan on having a small exposed area with the various things I will need to monitor electrically. Also will have the converter in that area, and the shore power coming in under the sink. I plan on running the 120 romex around the back of the seats, in 2 lines. One will go the area for the A/C and little heater, the other for the microwave. Then I will have a circuit that will have the lights and outlets for 120. All the 12V stuff will be loose wire, that will help identify what is what.
I also started putting in the plumbing, by mounting the 30 gal tank and getting it set up for PEX fittings. Will do the blue/red lines and will connect in the city water with a shut off so I can fill from city water. I have mounted some 1 1/2" PVC so that I can fill if I need to. Moved this inside, so there is one less hole through the shell. I am trying to eliminate all the things through the shell I can, and using nuts and bolts for everything I have to connect, that way it there is a problem, I can remove, fix, and but new butyl tape down.
I also went ahead and mounted the back cabs, and fit a temp table/bed to see how it would work. Plan on making the real one next week.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-10-09 16.13.04.jpg   2017-10-20 13.13.55.jpg  

2017-10-20 13.14.03.jpg   2017-10-20 13.14.14.jpg  

Old 10-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #66

Illinois
Today I spent a lot of time building up a couple of fill spots, and getting all the inside pieces filled in and smoothed out. I think I may be able to mount a couple of upper cabs before long. Also the lexan came for the rear window today, so will be cutting that and fitting and mounting it as well tomorrow.

Grandkids are here, so will have a trip to library and some "extra help" tomorrow, but should be a good day.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-10-20 16.15.02.jpg   2017-10-20 16.14.52.jpg  

Old 10-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #67

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
talent

where did you grab all the talent for this stuff?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #68

Illinois
Growing up I was always able to take things apart, build things, work with tools. Throughout my school and college, I had every kind of job there was, and learned a lot by asking a lot of questions, and listening a lot to what was said. Found if I stayed on the sidelines and listened, I learned a lot more than when I talked. When someone was doing something, I would often go and help out. Especially when friends were working on something. I would often have things I could apply. When we got married, my wife encouraged me to buy the tools to fix it myself. Now I have all the tools I need, and can fix almost anything around the house. Don't know much about heating and A/C but everything else I'm okay with.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #69

Missouri
wow

Eric well that is pretty amazin to me. I had a friend who was a self taught electrician. He could also repair radios, the real slot-machines he knew how to rig them up. This stuff in the 30s!!

He could also repair cameras, he built houses here is how he would do that. In the winter him and his wife would do all the studding work on walls he could do and come summer up the house would go.

He also installed elevators oh one time his friend was building a huge animal feed mixing plant. The man got about 1/2 way through 3 electricains on the job. One day he called my friend to come over and look things over he finally asked Leo if he could do the work? Leo said he thought so next day the 3 electricians were gone and Leo was on the job. The 3 electricians spent all day argueing. Now Leo with his 3rd grade education could read those blueprints.

Leo was a valuable man to know he saved people countless money in his life!!

I admire you work

bob
Old 10-21-2017, 07:37 AM   #70

Missouri
eric you do know colleges are suffering now due to many things a big one expense. A person like you would be successful in any line of work and do great at it. My friend s son works for a large el. company his pay per hour 50bux. If he works Sat. 21/2 times. This doesn't include his fringes! The other son works on high lines like out in Ca. replacing all the stuff burned up his pay astounding they even pay to have his truck sent out there!

Proves up there is more than one way to skin a cat in life!!!

bob
Old 10-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #71

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Moving along now. The mechanicals are so much more fun than the resin.

An alternative to Romex, or solid copper wire, is to use stranded wire (think extension cord). I used heavy duty outdoor extension cords but you can also get various color and guage stranded wire at Lowe's or Home Depot by the foot. I have read that the flexible wire is better in a mobile application because it doesn't suffer metal fatige from vibration.

Enjoy the enless mapping of circuits and water flow in the middle of the night!!! Keep a piece if paper and a pencil handy... You never know when inspiration will hit! Lol.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #72

Missouri
ahhhhh

when do you really rest? and what is your next project going to be?

bob
Old 10-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #73

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
It's always fun to see that your thread has new replies, love to see the progress you are doing on your project!
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #74

Illinois
Great idea on the chords. I wanted something that would be contained to keep it separate from the 12V stuff. That was why I was going to use Romex. Had thought about using the stranded wire and taping it together in the runs, but afraid that might not be enough seperation if someone else ever had to work on it. But the chords would be really good alternative.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:29 PM   #75

Illinois
After 3 days of rain, finally had a decent day. But we are into the time when the 50+ days are few and far between so it was time to see about getting in the garage. Took it off the frame again, and put it on small wheels. I had a little over an inch of clearance! The garage door is very low, so was afraid I would not get it in, and would not be able to do anything until spring. Nice to see it fit. The garage is heated, and I will be able to work on the top, supported by the rafters so hopefully will still be able to get things done in another month or so.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-10-25 17.52.00.jpg  
Old 10-25-2017, 07:43 PM   #76

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good job Eric, just don't get ahead of yourself and put the roof vent on to soon .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #77

Illinois
Yes, I better not mount the fan. It is actually number three on the list I had made, but moved it way down since I need to be outside to actually finish that part of it. So I moved on the getting the insides all back together. I glassed in a support for the stove and sink, painted the insides of all the cabs, got everything ready for the electrical, and mounted the propane coming into the camper.

I also took the frame to a trailer place a couple of blocks away. He will check the axle, brakes, etc. While we were looking, he noticed a couple of spot that were starting to crack, so there will be some repair welding as well. I have welded before but its not pretty, so will leave that up the those who do it well. If I could wait till Thanksgiving by nephew could do it, but hope to camp once in this before the snow gets too deep.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-10-26 18.25.34.jpg  
Old 10-28-2017, 10:45 PM   #78

Illinois
Inside progress

After getting it in the garage, it has been better progress. (although I did have some serious cleaning to do in the garage ) I was able to rewire everything, hook up the tether, and get things set up. I chose to run a different wire to each set of lights, and a return will come back as well. If a light gives me trouble it will be much easier to find the problem I think. Since I have plenty of wire left from the house remodel, I think that will be a good way to go. All 12V systems will be in the #12 colors, with the main from the battery to the charger, and from the TV to the Battery in #10. I may need to run a #8 from the battery to the inverter if I go with the 2000W size. Haven't decided that yet, will use my little one from the car for a while. I have a 12V chord for my CPAP so that can run on the battery.

I have two 6V large golf cart batteries in series for the 12 V system. We'll see how they do. They are used, so may need to be replaced in a year or so. But they will at least get me going and see how everything works.

I am bringing all the 12V system together into the panel mounted on the support, and fused there. That will also be the breaker section for 120AC and will all be built into a cabinet for all the electrical stuff.

Plumbed in almost everything. Need to do the shower stuff and the hot water. I am going with the continuous hot water propane system so I'm not tied to electrical. We'll really only use it for showers, so I plan on making it removable, with the "instant connect" water lines, and also a gas line outside. I put in several shutoff valves, one to shut off the water from the city water line, for when I am working off the tank and pump, a line from the city water line to fill the tank with a shutoff when I'm done filling it, and a shutoff to the pump when I am hooked up to city water.

I used the PEX stuff. I think it will work well and be very flexible as the camper flexes.

Now it's fix each cabinet, paint and mount, then on to doors .... but it is starting to get exciting to see it all come together.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
2017-10-28 22.54.11.jpg   2017-10-28 22.54.18.jpg  

2017-10-28 22.54.23.jpg   2017-10-28 22.54.51.jpg  

Old 10-29-2017, 07:29 AM   #79

Missouri
you guys

You guys are past awesome! Amazing work!

bob
Old 10-29-2017, 09:25 AM   #80

Illinois
Thanks. Looking forward to getting the cabinets in.

Tags
casita