Anyone travel with Casita King Bed for long periods of time? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #1

Name: Jeffrey
Trailer: in the market
Texas
Anyone travel with Casita King Bed for long periods of time?

Hello, I posted in this forum earlier about being a tall person trying to find the right fit for a fiberglass trailer. I wouldn't be traveling for more then three weeks at a time, and was wondering if anyone who has a Casita liberty or independence has put down all the beds so it makes one giant bed?
My feeling is that I will be outside most of the time with camper chairs and an awning, and for my size it might be bet for me to have a king bed to sleep in with girlfriend and two dogs. If anyone has chosen this option, was just hoping for some insights into whether it was great or frustrating?
Thanks so much!
cyrmorneault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
We had a 17 LibDeluxe, with a foam topper, which we would roll up and secure with sleeping bag straps as kind of a giant "Tootsie Roll" against the rear wall to serve as a backrest (12" diameter.) I had made 3 separate drop-in boards for between the benches; removing the one nearest the bath gave us room to use a small REI aluminum table to eat.

It worked fine for 3-4 day trips with 2 small dogs, but a month long road trip convinced us that we needed more room. Just too much hassle to deal with the bed issue every day. If you leave the bed down all the time there is no room, and with 2 dogs the sheets will be filled with footprints/dirt.

It just felt really crowded when stuck with bad weather for more than a day or two.

Sold the Casita, looked at an Escape 19, but decided to go with an Escape 21 due to the extra 6 inches wider. Way better with a separate permanent bed that's 80 inches long!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
"Long periods of time" = you will see some bad weather, and IMHO, will want some inside seating space.

Its the main reason we sold our Liberty and went with an Escape.

"In the old days" we were weekend campers, so inside seating space was not very important at all. But now that we are retired, a typical trip is 3 to 4 weeks long. Invariably, you get a stretch of bad weather where inside seating becomes very important.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We ( Wife , myself , chocolate lab) have made several successful trips of 2 months in duration in our 17 ft Casita DLX SD . We have considered buying a larger trailer but just can’t justify the cost . The price difference between our paid for Casita and a larger FG trailer is enough to cover about 5 years of traveling
I would rather travel then watch a big fancy , expensive , luxurious trailer stare back at me from my driveway .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
We have been most timing in our Liberty for 4 years and make the bed every day. I have made 3 iterations of the table that makes this a task a 2 minute job. Actually the Liberty king sized bed is bigger than a California king and we love it for the two of us and our two small dogs. This is a pic of our daytime configuration. Lots of room for hanging out Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	119258
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:31 AM   #6

Name: Jeffrey
Trailer: in the market
Texas
This is awesome! If you don't mind me asking, how did you install the back table? Did you buy a table top and than build the leg?
cyrmorneault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
With an Indy. the isle too small for a medium / large dog. Stick with a Liberty. You can modify a Liberty for twin beds fairly easy if you go that route. I had an early Indy. with no front lower doors. If I were to get another Casita it would be a Liberty. The extra floor space is nice with the Liberty. The other issue with the Indy. is there no back support when seated unless you bring extra pillows.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Somewhere in the past posts on the Casita forum I recall a post that if you're a guy who wears bigger than a size 11 shoe, you can't turn around in that skinny Indy aisle. Dunno if it was true, but it sounded amusing......

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #9

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Thumbs up long beds in Independence 17'

We love our 82" x31" twin beds in our new 2018 Indy Dlx 17 footer.even slept 3 last week by making the beds up a a single "king" and took the daughter along..lots of room..we did put the 'heads at the rear to keep anyone from having to 'climb over' at night
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:31 PM   #10

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Somewhere in the past posts on the Casita forum I recall a post that if you're a guy who wears bigger than a size 11 shoe, you can't turn around in that skinny Indy aisle. Dunno if it was true, but it sounded amusing......
Not true..the aisle is 14" wide..an easy tradeoff for having 2 twin beds 31"x83"

I'm not saying it is a bit tight, but there IS enuf room to turn.

My only complaint is the sharp corners of the cover of that dang elecric fuse box..easy to snag yer calf on the corners!!
We came up w a temporary solution: dish towel under the cushion..over the top of that fuse box...looking for a better way now. Ideas??
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita