Can I get some lifted Scamp pics? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Bigfoot Camper
Washington
Can I get some lifted Scamp pics?

Were going to have to raise my moms 16ft Scamp.Id like to see some pics and if you could say what axle or how much roughly its lifted.I looked at a casita that has a straight axle and leaf springs,but with the larger wheel wells of the Casita its hard to picture what the Scamp would look like.Her axle has no more spring lft in the torsion axle that I know of,its very stiff and feels like its bottomed out.So I believe we will need to replace the axle,either with torsion or do leave spring set up.Where she camps us fairly rough terrain so it defintly needs to be higher.Any pics and maybe info of what ya have done is appreciatex.
aaronmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Can I get some lifted Scamp pics?

Member Jeff Richardson did a reply (post #12) to "Anyone Have Experience With Flexiride Axles?" on this forum, that I saved for future reference. The Flexiride Axle has splines on the spindle arms so one could adjust the angle of the axle to adjust the height that you are looking for. He recommended having the 3500 lb axle detuned to 2000 lb. He used Southwest Wheels Trailerparts.com out of Lubbock Tx. 63" Hub to face of hub/wheel, 49" over frame.
Hope this helps.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
I would contact the axle company, Dexter, directly and discuss the parameters of your proposed upgrade. I've found them to be very helpful in determining the exact specs required to give you the results you desire.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Specs for Dexter Torflex axles. More down angle will increase body cleareance.
http://l.b5z.net/i/u/6149609/f/Torfl...ation_4-04.pdf

Unless you are comfortable planning this a a do-it-yourself project I would look for a reputable trailer (not RV) builder and repair facility. Job involves taking into account the wheel and tire clearences, and a host of pretty exact measurements. Possibly some cutting and welding too. Hard to beat the assistance of someone that does it for a living and has a good reputation.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Registry
I concur with Roger. Unless a person really knows what they're doing, an axle swap should be done by a professional.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #6

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Bigfoot Camper
Washington
Ya we will be haveing someone do it.Id be willing to do it myself,I just simply dont have time with work and our home projects.Im really just trying to get pics of some that have been lifted.That way I can see roughly how high wed like to go.
aaronmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Registry
This 1973 Love Bug was rebuilt for a rock climber that specifically requested lots of ground clearance to pull behind his lifted truck. Big wheels and tires as well as a 22° down angle on the spindle arms of the TorFlex axle. I think we ended up with over 16" of clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
LB_Strt1.jpg   LB_Curb2.jpg  

Old 06-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
That is a neat looking trailer.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #9

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
May have posted these pix before. When I bought my '85 Scamp 13 the original 'torflex' type axle appeared to have deteriorated to the point that there was no longer any 'flex' in the leading arm torsion suspension. The arm stayed at a 'permanent' 10-15 degrees up angle. Scamp factory people told me it was delivered with a 22.5 degree down angle?? Only flex I had left was in the sidewalls of the tires. I took careful measurements using instructions from Dexter Axle website. Decided to keep the leading arm after Dexter told me it would be OK to add brakes to a leading arm axle. I ordered a Dexter #9 2200# axle de-rated to 2K, with 7" elect brakes. My grandson & I installed the new axle last year in the August heat. Installation was relatively easy & the difference in looks, ride, & tow characteristics is like night'n day. Think I have before & after measurements on my other post but it provided a several inch increase in body/chassis lift.

Here's before & after pix - trailer - old/new axle/wheels
Attached Thumbnails
Copy of IMG_1648.JPG   IMG_2877.JPG  

IMG_1695.JPG   IMG_3348.JPG  

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #10

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Getting a Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
This 1973 Love Bug was rebuilt for a rock climber that specifically requested lots of ground clearance to pull behind his lifted truck. Big wheels and tires as well as a 22° down angle on the spindle arms of the TorFlex axle. I think we ended up with over 16" of clearance.
I know this is an old thread but what size tires did you decide to go on these?
makaio333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaio333 View Post
I know this is an old thread but what size tires did you decide to go on these?
I agonized over the tire size issue when I replaced the axle on my 1988 Scamp 16. As I had to buy new rims to go to 5 lugs over the original 4 I figured it was a great time to also go to a 14” rim/tire instead of 13”. With the new axle there was plenty of clearance for 14” tires but in the end I went back with 13” and am happy with the choice. The new properly down-angled axle provides plenty of clearance for any use I envision and does not add any unnecessary height I have to negotiate getting in and out of the trailer. The 14” tire did have a higher load rating that would have been nice given the “upgraded” 3500 pound axle but I don’t plan on adding any significant load to the Scamp so that was not really a factor. With torsion axles the trailer probably has more actual clearance than the chunk/axle on your TV anyway.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
I did the same, kept the 13' and replaced the axle with down angle.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Registry
Matthew,

We chose to use 15" wheels and off-road tires that matched the owner's tow vehicle. (New axle was rated at 3500lbs.)

While it is true that these large wheels and tires added a relatively significant amount of weight (over the original 13"), the desired ground clearance and aesthetic value brought to the rig were deemed more than appropriate.

Tags
scamp