Want to mostly full time in a 13' Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Jerry - Janelle -

We are the full-timers Byron mentioned. We are in our 6t year and have no regrets.

You are wise to not sell out before doing a 'test run' just to be sure this lifestyle is for you ... as stated above, each of us is different. We did a test of 7 months in our Scamp 13, spending quite a bit of time in Quartzsite and traveling along the Gulf Coast as far as St. Augustine, FL. On the way home we KNEW we were done with horse care, hay stacking, barn and fence painting, gardening and all the maintenance of a sticks & bricks property. We LOVED our place but it was time to turn a page. We had the "Mother of all yard sales" sold the house and hit the road ... we have never looked back. After all, there's too much out front and down the road to see!

We loved every moment and every mile in that 13 but eventually we found the 16 with a side bath ... The Royal Flush. We like the side bath because DH can be working on his laptop up front on the sofa whilst I'm working/reading/sleeping in the back. We keep the bed made up all the time and generally eat our meals outside.

In fact, the trailer is more like a large suitcase - we live out of it rather than in it as we are usually walking, hiking, sunning or touristing. As you have probably already learned, the Golden Rule of a small RV is "when something new comes in, something old goes out". My e-reader has cured DH's concerns about a lot of extra weight and we are really careful about the weight issue.

Well, that was kinda windy but hope it helps with your planning. Remember, whatever you do, you can always make other choices if one doesn't work out, And it's a wonderful way to explore our terrific country, Perhaps our travel paths will cross some day. Wishing you safe journeys and great memories - L 'n D
Old 07-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #22

Name: Janelle & Jerry
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Registry
Thanks L 'n D! We have had some very good advice, nice to know you started in a 13'. Byron and Anne, Norm and Ginny have all had great advice and encouragement also. We can't wait, like you said, we love our place, 2 acres, small house we built but, our first love is jumping in the car a heading out.

The reader is a great idea, I thought of that too since my books would take over the place .

Thanks, our goal has been moved up to 2 years and there's a lot to do getting everything ready to sell. Can't wait.

J & J
Jerry-Janelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Our Experience

We just returned from an 18 day, 1184 mile trip to the Kootenays.

On June 29th there was such a storm in Midway, BC, that it sounded like someone throwing handsfulls of pea gravel against the side of Homelet. We had no problems, nor did any of the big rigs camped with us at the BC Samboree despite some good sized branches down. There may have been some awnings damaged, but no one tipped over as I thought possible. The storm was so loud, we had to shout to hear each other inside our rig.

For the last three years, we have spent Jan/Feb in Arizona and Southern California and had no issues. You just do with less. However, it is nice to be back in our non-moving home.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #24

Name: Cat
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Tennessee
Getting ready for some workkamping in 2013.

We spent 3 wks together in our 17' Casita in March both beginning in Fl at Disney with 4 grandchildren and then last 10 days at Gulf Shores, AL.

Traveled to Maine from TN and back over the entire month of June. We really enjoyed our week in ME at Searsport and Acadia Natl. Park. Then we returned by way of the Grand Canyon of the East in PA, Cedar Point, OH and visited our grandson in IN.

The first two weeks of August we will be at Myrtle Beach, SC. Then I have to hit the books for my final semester at St. Mary of the Woods College.

My husband has done several mods to assist with storage and livibility in our Casita. Our closet now has 5 shelves in addition to space for 6 hangers. He has added new jacks for stability and installed toolboxes to the tongue and back bumper. We added a Jack antenna and tv, but opted to keep the space for storage rather than the microwave. Instead we purchased a Cube online which is fine for those quick warm-ups and has a handle to carry back out to the truck. We also have a screen room for additional living room. We have a nice ARE cap for the Silverado where we hang additional clothing, store bicycles and "stuff". My husband calls it his SHED. We love it and can't wait to spend more time on the road.
YOLK-a-motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #25

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
We vacation/camped with our daughter in a small popup for 15 years and learned a number of things about tight spaces and trailer layout that we either liked or disliked. We put that knowledge to good use when we bought our 17' trailer in 2008 and have used it the last 4 winters camping for 2 to 3 months in the Southwest.

We knew that we did not enjoy spending the evenings reading at the popup's dinette with the straight backs and pillows didn't help. Thus our first priority was a trailer with a gaucho which can be slid in or out to adjust the back to what ever angle we want - delightful. Secondly, this allowed us to have separate beds (gaucho at one end of the trailer and dinette at the other) because one of us snores like her father and the other is a light sleeper even with his ear plugs. This also allows us our own personal-spaces during the day.

Finally, my wife made each of us our own "cowboy" bed rolls with a pad (from Ikea) fitted into sewn up sheets (bottom and top) that simply unroll onto the beds at night and during the day are rolled up and placed into an overhead storage space. (She is so smart - and I grew up in Detroit always wanting to be a cowboy.)

Cheers John
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #26

Name: Rick
Trailer: In the Market
I would also thing the Tow vehicle will have an impact. With a Minivan for towing it also can be great for storage or to be set up as a separate space for computing or reading.--I spend a bit of time in the Passenger seat of my Dodge Minivan reading.

Rick
Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #27

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I to want to full time some day. I calculated my retirement the other day as I was dreaming and found I will be able to retire before my birthday in 2024. I figure by the day after my birthday ill be halfway to Washington. I can't wait and I write this as I do a little cold weather November camping with my oldest son and I know I won't have a problem full timing in my 13' Cloud. I have some modifications in kind for the future such as removing the old furnace and replacing with an a/c unit and a little kitchen update which will be mostly cosmetic. I can't wait.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #28

Oregon
Registry
First Step Completed

We completed the first step of our transition from a stationary abode to the Scamp. We traded our poor old Honda Element with 160K miles on it for a 2010 Ford Flex.The Flex will tow up to 4500 lbs and has tons of much needed space. We brought it home in a surprise snowstorm and it behaved very well. We will have to wait for Spring to complete the rest of the transition, hopefully by this Fall we will be on the road. Looking out at the snow that day can't come soon enough!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #29

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Sounds Awesome! Post some pics of the changes you re going to make to your scamp for full timeing in it.

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #30

Name: Jack
Trailer: 1985 Casita liberty
Kentucky
We have 6 years 138 days 6 hours and 9 minutes to go before we can full time. To put it mildly we can't wait!!! We have a 16 ft casita, and we are looking at a 19 ft camplite all aluminum. They seem to have plenty of room and are all aluminum so the wont rust. We are trying to look at it as we only have 6 years so we are making steps now to get ready!
Jack Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #31

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jack
What doesva camplight weigh?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #32

Florida
Jack. We looked at the 19 foot camplites. I just looked up it's weight. It actually weighs 2750 lbs without options. That seems like a lot.

Part of the weight issue is there's no escaping the steel axle and other standard components

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #33

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Something to consider is a trailer stated length includes the hitch and bumper. So a Scamp 16ft is just about 3ft more inside length than a Scamp 13ft since the hitch is about the same and the bumper adds the same amount to both models stated "length".

Between brands the hitch and bumper may account for a different amount of the stated length. A 17ft with a longer hitch may not be a foot longer inside than another brands 16ft.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #34

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry-Janelle View Post
We are thinking of spending anywhere from 6 to 10 months a year in our Scamp in a couple of years. We have wondered if the 13' will be big enough but have a couple of years to test it out as we have to sell our house in this market and find a different home base. If we "upgrade" if you want to call it that, the Lil' Snoozy comes to mind as well as the Casita 17. We were thinking of putting everything we might need for a small home base in storage, then spend at least a month or two in several different places to get the feel of the neighborhood. Has anyone else done it this way? We can't stay where we are and spend that much time away, too much property to take care of an too hard to come and go in the winter. Thanks.

Jerry & Janelle
We spent 2 months this summer in our 13' Scamp, and loved it, but the wife did say that she would like a bathroom and a place for me to sit when I can't sleep. I am looking forward to seeing Pachyderm's Lil Snoozy next month here in Arizona, as that is the trailer that I think I would like next (we are on our 2nd 13' Scamp in 25yrs). Our retirement is approximately 6 years away.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #35

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
We spent 2 months this summer in our 13' Scamp, and loved it, but the wife did say that she would like a bathroom and a place for me to sit when I can't sleep. I am looking forward to seeing Pachyderm's Lil Snoozy next month here in Arizona, as that is the trailer that I think I would like next (we are on our 2nd 13' Scamp in 25yrs). Our retirement is approximately 6 years away.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
You are having some of the same issues we have. The only thing we didn't like about the Snoozy was the lack of propane. We have also looked at the Parkliner and so far it's coming out in first place. When we hit the road we would like to see the Casita, Parkliner and Snoozy plants. Who knows, the 13' may suit our needs better than we think. We didn't plan to live in it when we bought it or we would have gotten more of the options. You have enough time to plan.

Jerry and Janelle
Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #36

New Jersey
Registry
the lack of propane ruled out snoozy, i wanted at least 6 foot or so headroom, that ruled out casita 16....their 17 has too much tongue weight for my Rav4 so that was ruled out...I'm prejudiced the ParkLiner is real sweet! if your in my neck of the woods i will show you mine!

deryk
Old 01-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #37

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
the lack of propane ruled out snoozy, i wanted at least 6 foot or so headroom, that ruled out casita 16....their 17 has too much tongue weight for my Rav4 so that was ruled out...I'm prejudiced the ParkLiner is real sweet! if your in my neck of the woods i will show you mine!

deryk
Well, we will be if everything goes according to plan, late Summer or Early Fall. Do you love it? It's not big but the more we look at it the more it seems like the perfect. J & J in Oregon
Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #38

New Jersey
Registry
Yeah i do love it! No particle board, marine plywood... queen sized bed...lots of stowage... nohuge closet but it wilk work! No rivets, less things to leak from lol!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #39

Florida
Jerry and Janelle,
Hi folks. We're definitely missing OR, wonderful to meet you.

From reading this site there is general agreement there is no perfect trailer, tow vehicle or even tires. To me the only thing that comes near perfection is being on the road.

Rivets, wooden floors, heated tanks are all trivial. My 1991 rivets don't leak, my floor's not rotted and nothing's ever frozen. If you're using your rig and are awake these small things are easily addressed taking virtually no time. It is the unused trailer that is in peril.

Of course there is no perfect trailer. Simply look at the trailer flipping that goes on. Every trailer requires modification to become a road warrior. No manufacturer uses their product enough, they are too busy and small, to use them enough or simply market focused on those who rarely use their trailer.

Of course one should select the trailer that best meets their needs but like a marriage, it's what you do with what you have.

Safe and fun travels......

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #40

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you are comparing a fiberglass egg with any other type trailer, I'm not sure when but they started not including the hitch in the stated length of the trailer but they did. I thought this was very confusing. When I first looked at the floor plans I noticed they sure were getting more in then they used to but when I looked at the specs, I realized why. I just checked Camplite and they give a box length in the model number. So, be careful of comparing.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp