Prodigy P2 Brake Controller and Scamp 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #1

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller and Scamp 13'

Hi, I am trying to get my newly installed brakes sorted out on my Scamp 13', and wondering this: if others are using a Prodigy P2 controller, what power setting do you have it on? What Boost setting do you have it on? Do you do the lockup test periodically or was once enough?
Last week when I picked up my rig with the newly installed brakes and controller, the mechanic said he had adjusted everything and test drove it and it was working great. I agree the brakes were working great, but when I set out on my first trip the hubs heated up to too-hot-to-touch in the first half hour. I turned around and came home and am now waiting for Monday morning when I can call the mechanic. I did do the lockup test and noticed that they had the power setting on 13, which is the highest setting. I was not able to get the brakes to lockup when I did the test, incidentally.
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I think my P2 is set at 5 or 6 and no boost. Works fine and I'm towing an SD17. I'm surprised your not locking up the tires at 13.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There's a big difference between brakes on the 13' Scamp and a 16' or 17' trailer. Scamp uses a 7.5" brakes, the larger trailers use a 10" brake. Make a big difference.

Prodigy says to set the brake controller until the wheels lock at about 25 mph. The 7.5" brakes on a typical 13' Scamp won't lock up. Because of that I drive with braking power set at maximum and no boost (13' Scamp).

Not all trailers are made equal.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When i setup my scamp 13 i like 12 power setting. Compaired to my Nissan pathfinder the trailer is light. I take the trailer up to about 20 mph and hit the manual brake button and increase the power setting until i feel significant slow down just from the use of trailer brake showing me that they will add braking force when driven normally with the cars brakes. The small brakes on the 13 footer wont skid with the weight i carry with the trailer.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
This thread came at a great time for me. I have the Prodigy 3 installed on our Subaru Forester. We leave in 1 week for Backus to pick up our Scamp 13. I had no clue how to set it up and was going to rely on Scamp's expertise. I'm not even sure if they'd help because that's technically on the TV, and not the trailer. I've never used trailer brakes before. From what I'm reading here, try setting near the max and no boost. To test, drive between 20 and 25 mph, and just apply the trailer brake override switch. The trailer brakes should apply serious braking force to the rig. Am I tracking?

Why do you think Aussie Mom's hubs got so hot? Tight bearings? Sounds like hers were adjusted like the suggestions so far.

Thanks all!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Did you not get an instruction brochure with the Prodigy? It tells you how.
Failing that, etrailer.com has instructions and how-to video on just about all the products they sell.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #7

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Byron, Steve, thank you. That is helpful! Glenn, I did get the instructions with the Prodigy, and I did the test, I couldn't get the brakes to lock up.
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Glenn, the manual left me with the impression I should start with boost and level 6 braking force. Sounds like that was off the mark according to what's been posted here already. Prodigy must write those manuals to apply to the average RV which is much heavier than the Scamp 13. My guess anyway.

I will check the eTrailer site again. They do have videos on everything they sell, including the Prodigy 3. I didn't notice one to explain how to adjust it, but I'll give it another look. Good idea. Thx

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:52 PM   #9

Name: Fallon
Trailer: Shopping
Colorado
I have a Prodigy something & pull a handful of different trailers (7x14 double axle cargo, 16' tilting deck flatbed rated at 15k lbs), although our newly acquired Boler doesn't have brakes. Each time I hitch up, I recalibrate it. Get up to 30mph or so, then hit the lever to fully engage the trailer brakes. The trailer brakes should bring the trailer & vehicle to a reasonably quick stop, after a while you learn how fast it should be. To start out with keep bumping up the voltage until you lock up the trailer tires, then bump the voltage down to a little below lockup voltage. That gives you optimal stopping power without messing up your tires or brakes.

You really need to redo the procedure every time you change trailers, or change the load in/on your trailer as that affects traction & stopping power. After your first few times & get a feel for your trailers maximum stopping power, it takes 30-60 seconds to do & is just generally a good safety check. I consider it as important as checking the brake lights & turn signals when you hitch up.

Fiddle around with various voltages & you'll find out what works very quickly. 6v is as good as any to start with. Due to various levels of wear, different sized disks, disks vs. drums, etc. there is no way to give a good answer as to what you'll need for voltage.

If you can't get the brakes to lock up, the grease seals on the back of the wheel bearings might have been blown out & greased your brake pads. Or the small brakes on the small trailer just aren't up to the task (probably not the end of the world given the light weight of the tailers when the tug should be able to stop most of the weight on it's own).

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:47 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My reading of the manual was that I should not use boost with my combination of RAV4 and Escape 17B. I think there is a reference to the weight of the trailer that indicates that I would not use boost.
I have adjusted it this way and that and I think I'm now running at between 4 and 6, but I really should check it again.
It's something that needs to be set according to your specific circumstances.

Tags
scamp