New axle for 2015 Scamp 13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #21

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...WOW!!! If this is necessary for a Scamp... just how much do you save over "SOB's"?
If you buy an economy car this type of service isn't required.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All...WOW!!! If this is necessary for a Scamp... just how much do you save over "SOB's"?
If you buy an economy car this type of service isn't required.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
"SOBs" have axles too, and they are not economy cars.
Economy cars require service too and a pretrip checkout is prudent for them as well,just different. I don't like to be on the road in any car only to find that I have no washer fluid at a critical moment.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
WOW, In the 10+ Years I've belonged to this group this the first time any thing has been said about new trailers and axles. Now it's time for everybody to get paranoid. Typical US resident response.

The chances are that the crown nut is one spot too tight. I don't like to mess in the grease for 10 years I've had somebody else repack my wheel bearings. Once a couple years ago they were making noise when I pulled into a campground. I'd driven about 250 miles that day. The hubs were warm almost hot. I took to automotive place they redid the bearings and the brakes and indicated both had been set just a bit too tight. No damage to bearings or spindle. Ya it cost an extra $80, which is a lot cheaper than the hundreds to replace an axle.
There's a tendency to jump to the worst conclusion rather than looking at as though it couple be something less drastic.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Right now I think that the discussion has become more about an alleged wheel bearing service requirement on a NEW trailer, than about the still undiagnosed problem that the op has.

And Yes, this is the first time that this issue has surfaced, and it is apparently not long after Scamp changed axle vendors.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Right now I think that the discussion has become more about an alleged wheel bearing service requirement on a NEW trailer, than about the still undiagnosed problem that the op has.

And Yes, this is the first time that this issue has surfaced, and it is apparently not long after Scamp changed axle vendors.
So the answer is to service the axle and find the problem.
Present what is found to Scamp along with the bill (if appropriate).
Old 12-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobconroy View Post
...I greased the axle but have no idea if the delivery person greased it (as directed by Scamp) after 200 miles during the 1300 mile trip...
I watched the entire video owner's manual segment on wheels and bearings from the Scamp website. They do discuss break-in procedures for a new trailer. Other than the common sense recommendation to monitor hub temperatures frequently for the first 200 miles (and a warning that the easy-lube hubs may tend to run a bit hot until the bearings seat), there is nothing about any mandatory bearing service.

There is a difference between checking the bearings (for temperature) and servicing the bearings, and I wonder if that's where the misunderstanding arose.

I agree that there appears to be something that needs attention, but it does not appear to be caused by the failure of the Scamp delivery driver to perform a bearing service at 200 miles.

Still, that raises a question… when Scamp delivers a trailer, do they flatbed it or tow it on the ground? If they're towed (as it seems in this case), I wonder if the drivers actually monitor anything, and whether they reduce speed during the first few hundred miles as new metal settles in. Kind of doubt it… I wonder how the other molded fiberglass manufacturers handle long-distance deliveries.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #27

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If you paid Scamp for the delivery then they would have liability until it is turned over to you.... Unless it is sold FOB or free on board (the delivery vehicle) indicating ti is shipped on some other conveyance.
With FOB the responsibility becomes the purchasers at the time the unit is placed in the hands of the shipper.
Liability is that of the shipper or customer.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #28

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I'm most concerned with Scamp's apparent lack of helping out the customer, whether, ultimately, it is the axle manufacturer's or Scamp's financial responsibility.

Scamp chose this supplier, and they should take responsibility for delivering a complete, working, non-defective trailer - should be NO question that Scamp would do what is necessary to make it right. If they do not want to be responsible for a faulty axle, they should not use this manufacturer - Scamp is the one who has the power to make it right. I would expect their response to be: We will fix it, then we will argue with the supplier. Or, at the very least, they should contact the axle supplier, and make arrangements for it to be serviced or replaced. Particularly on a brand new unit.

Will definitely be a major consideration when I decide to buy a new trailer. I avoid auto dealers who I perceive to have poor customer service, and I pay extra at dealers whom I know will stand behind their product.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #29

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
So the answer is to service the axle and find the problem.
Present what is found to Scamp along with the bill (if appropriate).
My position would be, I just got done paying out of pocket for a properly working trailer. It should NOT be my responsibility to foot the bill, even temporarily, for repairing a defective (on delivery) trailer. Bad customer service.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I'm most concerned with Scamp's apparent lack of helping out the customer, whether, ultimately, it is the axle manufacturer's or Scamp's financial responsibility.

Scamp chose this supplier, and they should take responsibility for delivering a complete, working, non-defective trailer - should be NO question that Scamp would do what is necessary to make it right. If they do not want to be responsible for a faulty axle, they should not use this manufacturer - Scamp is the one who has the power to make it right. I would expect their response to be: We will fix it, then we will argue with the supplier. Or, at the very least, they should contact the axle supplier, and make arrangements for it to be serviced or replaced. Particularly on a brand new unit.

Will definitely be a major consideration when I decide to buy a new trailer. I avoid auto dealers who I perceive to have poor customer service, and I pay extra at dealers whom I know will stand behind their product.
You are jumping to your conclusions based on what Bob called a "still undiagnosed problem that the op has".
The OP in turn did not have the problem diagnosed by a competent person. Very likely this problem could be fixed by a local shop very cheaply and the owner reimbursed by Scamp if appropriate.
Another point, It is highly unlikely that the axle will need replaced but Scamp axles are now bolted on. I'm not sure when they first implemented this policy, but a simple look under this 2015 model would answer that question.
Just like a refrigerator or furnace, the axle can be handled under warranty by any RV or trailer shop which sells the product... In this case Lippert axles.
Bill Nolen gave the definitive appropriate answer in Post#2.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #31

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You are jumping to your conclusions based on what Bob called a "still undiagnosed problem that the op has".
But if there is a problem, and a squealing wheel on delivery is a problem in my opinion, it should NOT be up to the purchaser to foot the bill in finding out what is wrong - it's squealing, that's what's wrong.

Scamp should make arrangements with a local shop to diagnose and repair the problem, at their expense. Not tell the purchaser to deal with the axle manufacturer. That is what I would consider decent customer service.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
But if there is a problem, and a squealing wheel on delivery is a problem in my opinion, it should NOT be up to the purchaser to foot the bill in finding out what is wrong - it's squealing, that's what's wrong.

Scamp should make arrangements with a local shop to diagnose and repair the problem, at their expense. Not tell the purchaser to deal with the axle manufacturer. That is what I would consider decent customer service.
The buyer should know better than Scamp which local shops are available in Montana.

While neither of us is privy to the conversation between Scamp and the OP, I know the folks at Scamp well enough to say that they are responsible people who are more than willing to meet their obligations and more, especially if the problems are communicated concisely.

Although a Lippert dealer is not needed to get a brake problem fixed,
here is the dealer locator for Lippert axles.

http://www.lci1.com/authorized-dealer-locator/
Old 12-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #33

I think it's time to wait and see what the OP discovers the actual problem to be and how it's delt with. I have only two outstanding comments/concerns:

1. Where is it written that the wheel bearings were supposed to be greased after the first 200 miles ?
and
2. Asking that the replacement be done with a different axle (17') only clouds the entire issue.

It's time to hear from the OP for an update.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I think it's time to wait and see what the OP discovers the actual problem to be and how it's delt with. I have only two outstanding comments/concerns:

1. Where is it written that the wheel bearings were supposed to be greased after the first 200 miles ?
and
2. Asking that the replacement be done with a different axle (17') only clouds the entire issue.

It's time to hear from the OP for an update.
1] Nowhere of which I am aware, but Dexter says this which may be the source...
BRAKES - How often should I adjust my brakes?
Dexter recommends that manual adjust brakes be adjusted . . . 1) After the first 200 miles of operation when the brake shoes and drums have "seated". 2) At 3,000 mile intervals. 3) Or as use or performance requires.

2] true that!

I recommend hand repacking and adjusting Brakes on a new axle after initial break-in, primarily because I think it is important to be sure that all components are in good shape, greased , and adjusted properly.
This also gives you the opportunity to inspect the wheels and tires to be sure that they have no obvious defects and that they too are installed properly.
While most axles are factory assembled properly, it is still only most.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #35

Name: Jacob
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16
Montana
Holy Cow

I didn't expect my post to generate this much buzz. There are quite a few posts above, but I read through them quickly and will try to address the highlights...

I'm not the sort of person that is interested in talking on the phone when it comes to something important. If you are going to make a promise, but won't write it down....something is wrong with the situation. I have all correspondence regarding this problem in writing (email).

I initially reported the problem about a month after receiving the camper. During the first round of emails, Mr. Scamp said, verbatim, "The trailer is under warranty although the axle is covered under the manufacturers warranty. Is the brakes sticking? Did you add grease to the hub? What is the best number to reach you at I will forward your message to lippert!"

This is why I put two pumps of grease into the nipple of each hub. I can't remember where I found the mention of 200 miles, but I will find it. By the way, I did include my phone number. Never heard from Lippert. At this point I became frustrated and dropped it, saying that I would take it to a mechanic.

Well, I started the emailing again last week. I'm a bit peeved that they put this off on me. More attempts to send me off somewhere to take care of it. This is BS. It's keeping me up nights and I'm on the verge of getting rid of the Scamp all together.

I agree that I need to take it to a mechanic, but who is a good mechanic? There is a trailer shop by Missoula, but that guy chewed by rear end for asking him to quote a custom off-road trailer once (and I mean he really laid into me). Him and I won't be doing any business.

I also agree that I will pay the mechanic out of my pocket because I have no choice. Ever wonder why Scamp demands a cashier's check upon delivery? Now I know. Oh, and when I ordered the delivery I expected they would trailer it. Later I found out they were pulling it over here (OK, at least we will know the axle works...right?). Later I found out that the guy that delivered it (very nice fellow and his wife) were just buddies with the Scamp people. I severely doubt that any maintenance was done. I was also told that when delivered the trailer would be "washed and like new". It was not. Covered in 1300 miles worth of bug guts and dirt. It's not so bad though. I only paid about $950.00 for this premium service.

The wheel in question might be a tad warmer than the other, but nothing burns me. I've checked.

I'll try to find someone to take a look at it in the next couple of weeks. It's no problem for me to miss a couple of hours at work to take my brand new trailer to some stranger so he can take it apart. Now, after that, regardless of what he says is broken or not....who is responsible for the axle now? It will be either Scamp, Lippert, Me, or random mechanic. I suspect it's always going to be me.

The last we spoke, Mr. Scamp quoted me an axle for a 15 foot Scamp. I replied and said that $700.00 isn't too much for me, but will it ruin my trailer?

No response. I am starting to think that my lawyer should become involved. The moment I let someone else work on that axle, I'll bet that is the end of the warranty. But hey, doesn't seem like the warranty is going to become worth worrying about.

In all likelihood this will be a simple fix, but I'd like some direction on the matter. Thank goodness for you folks.

Let me know if I didn't clarify anything. I will also post back once I find a mechanic that isn't likely to make my nightmares worse.
jacobconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #36

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jacob, first off take a deep breath. I know you are disappointed and probably disgusted, but this is a bump in the road. Remember, plenty of motor vehicles are built on Mondays and Fridays (brown bottle flu hungover and TGIF!), but those vehicles still go down the road.

I believe all new Scamps have a bolt on axle(?), with the proper tools a weekend mechanic can change the axle.

I'm still thinking Byron has probably the best idea... sounds like the crown nut is too tight. That can cause overheating and squealing and is just a Quality Control issue easily solved.

Would you feel comfortable enough to loosen the nut and reinstall the cotter pin and tow the trailer to see if it solves the problem? I would... but, YMMV.

Best of luck, truly.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It is common with trailers that warranty issues are fixed at a shop near the customer. It would be unreasonable to expect the builder or the customer to take it back to the factory for such work.
It is also common for appliances, axles, etc. to be warrantied by the maker of that appliance ( or axle ). When my furnace quit, I took my trailer to an RV shop less than two miles away that is a certified service centre for the furnace. They handled all the paper work and fixed it at no cost to me.
I suggest you take it to your mechanic and then tell Scamp where it is, and supply them with phone numbers and names so they can speak directly to the shop.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #38

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
I was under the impression that Scamp used BearingBuddys on their trailers. Am I wrong?
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:46 PM   #39

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
1. there is no "Mr. Scamp," so the first question is, who did you speak to? Kent Eveland is the ultimate authority there.
2. email is a terribly efficient method of communication. yes, it is good to have it writing but remember that not much information is really communicate via email, compared to "person to person conversation."
3. Sorry you had a bad experience with a local mechanic.. but people who can work on trailer axles, brakes and bearings are a dime a dozen. There is someone else you can go to.
4. requiring a cashiers check is standard practice. To attribute some nefarious intent from this is absurd.
5. Its no secret that the delivery is by contracted towing.. no flatbeds, I figured that out early in my shopping and that is one reason I made the 1300+ mile trip myself. All you had to do was ask about how it would be delivered.
6. As to who is responsible.. you say it will always be you but NO ONE knows until the problem is diagnosed. Get ye to a trailer shop!
7. You say Mr. Scamp quoted you for an axle for a 15 foot Scamp. There is no such thing as a 15 foot Scamp (or a Mr. Scamp). Its beginning to sound like you don't know what you are talking about and therefore someone who does needs to see the trailer.

SO..
Take it to a trailer shop, let them and Kent talk, then we all will know whats up.

--

PS (edit)... If you read my other recent postings you will see that I have been a little critical of Scamp/Evelands, so don't think that I am blindly defending them. But the company is not as difficult as you seem to imply. It takes two to have a conflict.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #40

Scamp has been building trailers for a Loooong time and I can understand why they don't want to put a heavier axle under your trailer. It may not be something that they usually do and there is nothing for them to gain, and plenty to loose if there are unforeseen issues. They have their own liability insurance and it may not cover non-standard modifications.

You don't need an RV shop to evaluate your axle. Call lippert and ask about a local service source and/or take it to a farm/horse trailer shop. Those parts are about the same on all trailers. A mechanic evaluating your noise isn't going to have any effect on your warranty when he/she is investigating an apparent safety issue.

And I am sure at all but one of us on the site realized that your reference to a 15' trailers axle, when you had mentioned a 17' earlier, was only a typo.

Good luck and let us all know what Lucky Larry's Trailer Shoppe (LOL) has to say.

Tags
axle, scamp