Just bought a 17' Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2006, 01:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Burro
First, hello to all!

Secondly a little background information.

My wife and I have been tent camping the majority of our married life (19 years) and now that the kids (2, one girl 17 and 1 boy 15) are older (including ourselves) we wanted to move on to a more civilized form of camping but without giving up the hominess of the basic tent. Thus we decided to look for a small light weight trailer, nothing fancy. Needless to say there isn’t as much to choose from as say the much larger trailers but after much searching we just secured a 2001 17’ Burro.

Now the questions abound. I plan on towing this with a 98 Bonneville which I will put a tranny cooler on along with a crisper shift kit. We also plan on taking the original carpet out and replacing it with peel and stick or maybe just painting over, I will need to see what is underneath once the carpet comes out.

I have been trying to find as much information on the Burro but there seems to be very little which worries me some. I do know that they went out of business (but the web site is still up???) about 2 years ago but other than that not much more can be found. I did do a search here for Burro and there was some info found but would like to hear some more personal encounters please.

So basically any and all information, advice and just plain opinions are more than welcome.
remington850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Hello remington850, yes Burro has been out of business for a few years now. Not to worry, you have purchased a fine trailer which is equipped with the same brand appliances that most of these little jobs have in them, so its not like your stranded and can't get parts. These trailers came in factory built but, were also sold in kit form. They have a double hull unlike most that are still being built and were a great little trailer. Ther are a number of foks on this forum that have them an will be able to answer all you questions as asked, Good Luck and post often, Bill
Old 09-01-2006, 06:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Sent you an email.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 1999 Burro 17 ft ('Eeyore's Egg')
Hi Remington
Welcome from another Burro owner. We got our 1999 Burro about 5 years ago and have enjoyed it immensely. I was a bit gunshy about acquiring a Burro after reading all the complaints and problems folks were reporting about them on some websites, but we've had no significant problems with ours. We've hauled it to Montana, Texas, Nevada, and Colorado and have used it in the summer and winter. It's spacious enough, comfortable, easy to care for, warm in cold weather, and handy to get into out-of-the-way places. We graduated over the years from tents to VW camper to a pop-up to the Burro.

I can't comment on your question regarding your towing vehicle. We use a Toyota minivan (for mountainless trips) and Nissan Pathfinder (for hilly terrain) to tow ours. The actual weight of ours, ready to use except for food and water is 2,400 pounds. I don't add water until we get to where we're going.

I've made a bunch of non-technical "improvements" (not dealing with electical components, axle, etc.) to make it handier for us. These include braces to hold the upper kitchen cabinet doors open, a smaller front table, portable lights over the front table, braces for the front table, shelves for the under-sink cabinet and closets, a silverware drawer, shock cord loops to secure the cabinet doors, a shelf over the foot of the bed, a receiver hitch on the bumper for a bike carrier, and portable brackets for carrying bicycles inside. Several of these modifications came from this website.

Drop me an E-mail with any Burro questions or topics you'd like to discuss. I'm taking off on a month-long bicycle trip the middle of next week (no, not towing the Burro with my bike), so will be out-of-touch from then until early October.
John Wettack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
Congratulations on acquiring your Burro. Last spring we acquired a 1984 Burro and have been extremely pleased with it. It was our first experience with a trailer since previously we have always done tent camping. We find it well insulated and easy to keep clean. This site has been very helpful as a resource for ideas to improve or maintain the Burro to make it better suit your needs. Keep checking back for ideas. You might also want to consider going to a rally or planned campout to meet others and exchange information. We pull our Burro with a Honda pilot very easily. Good luck and enjoy!
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #6

Thanks to all for your replies! We went tent camping, hopefully for the last time, this weekend. We are very much looking forward to getting the Burro and trying her out. I took the Bonneville into the local U-Haul shop and they said that the car was rated for a 3500 pound tow, so the hitch and all the wiring are going on the vehicle right now and we pick up the trailer Friday afternoon. Woohoo, can’t wait, we are already planning the first trip, short distance of course but our first.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV! and Congratulations on getting a molded fiberglass trailer too

Don't know if you got the manuals that came with your trailer or not, but if you need appliance manuals or even the manufacturer manual for the Burro...check out the Document Center

Let the fun begin

PS: What's your first name? I would prefer to know who I'm speaking to... you can add your first name in your signature through "My Controls."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:22 AM   #8

Thanks to all who responded, I guess there is just a small amount of members who have Burros on this forum.

We pick up the trailer today and should have some photos ready by the end of the weekend if anyone is interested.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
There's a topic in General Chat with a survey of who has what: How Do You Like Your Eggs?, Taking a Poll by FGRV Brand. Of the 218 responses, 15 (6.88%) have Burros, and three have responded here. Yes, Burro owners who actively participate in the forum are rare here in FiberglassRV, but I bet it would be tough to find even three of them in any other forum!

Some issues are unique a particular brand and model, but for many questions, the specific brand is not very important. For instance, I think a 17' widebody Burro is probably about the size and weight of a Boler B1700, and several of us have those - I tow mine with a Toyota Sienna, but I'm not sure if you can usefully compare that to towing with a Bonneville.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:54 AM   #10

Name: Craig
Trailer: 17' Casita Spirit Delux
Delaware
Does the 17 foot Burro have a wooden floor or fiberglass.? Also how can one tell if the axle is in good operating condition? Apparently they require replacing at some point.
ccornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:09 AM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Suggest starting a new thread rather than tacking onto a 12 year old one.

Pretty much all the vintage FG trailers have wood somewhere in the floor, whether it is covered by fiberglass, or has fiberglass underneath it, or both, or just wood.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro