Burro Electrical Questions from a Newbie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #1

Name: Ashley
Trailer: Burro
Arizona
Burro Electrical Questions from a Newbie

I've done a bit of research on how to get a battery hookup in my 1980 Burro and I want to make sure I understand this correctly. We eventually want to charge the battery from solar panels (but that will come later).

I'd like to get some feedback on my ideas and ask a few questions about the setup to make sure we do things as right as possible the first time.

I'm thinking about getting a 12V AGM Sealed Lead Acid Deep Cycle Battery (possibly this one)

Our plan is to be able to power two 110V lights (wired through the cabinets and attached to the exterior of the sides of the cabinets above the sink) and to be able to charge two phones via USB, and have at least one AC plug for random items just in case. We will rarely if ever be plugged up at a campsite since we only use the burro for off-grid camping.

I'm guessing the battery attaches it to the blue and white cables coming from the "box" pictured below (I'm not sure if this box is a converter/inverter/breaker?). I know I might need an inverter for the 110V lights, but I'm really not sure what else I need or how to hook everything up.

I've read several forum posts, blogs, diagrams, and videos about RV power, but I'm stumped with figuring out what our Burro has and how to adapt it to our specific needs.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0602.jpg   IMG_0598.jpg  

IMG_0599.jpg   IMG_0601.jpg  

wxmixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:45 PM   #2

Name: RamblinRick
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
12 battery and 120V devices.

120 volt electricity is quite dangerous and you ought not to be messing with it unless you are trained.

I would suggest you go with the gel battery as you are thinking but instead of 120v lights, go with 12 volt lights and 12v phone chargers.
If you need 120V, you can install an inverter that you can buy from a truck stop or other locations. With this you can run a laptop, for example.

But you don't want to use anything big on 120v because you will drain your battery in no time.

I worked in an electrical lab and am quite timid when I work with 120v.

My thoughts.
richardabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1982 Burro
Minnesota
Registry
I recently went through this same thing on my 13' Burro.
What I did, is make use of 12v LED lights, water pump, TV, vent fan, outlets/USB, etc.
Keeping everything 12v, makes battery, vehicle charge wire, solar charging, lights, etc. one simple unit.
I also have an inverter if needed, but don't use it often.
My 120v cord only powers the 120 outlets, and an onboard 12v charger, for times when I'm on shore power. Simple!
Old 01-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmixte View Post
Our plan is to be able to power two 110V lights (wired through the cabinets and attached to the exterior of the sides of the cabinets above the sink) and to be able to charge two phones via USB, and have at least one AC plug for random items just in case. We will rarely if ever be plugged up at a campsite since we only use the burro for off-grid camping...
...I'm guessing the battery attaches it to the blue and white cables coming from the "box" pictured below (I'm not sure if this box is a converter/inverter/breaker?).
If you will rarely have shore power than forgot about putting anything 120 volts AC in the camper. No outlets, or 120 volt lights, etc. Only use 12 VDC stuff. How can I say that it really sounds like you don't know what you are doing without it coming out as sounding mean or unkind? At least get some competent and in-person / on-site assistance.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have to agree with Gordon, you need someone there with you for some on hands advice. The 110 wiring does not connect directly to a battery, although the wire ends in the one photo look like what would be used to connect to a battery. The one photo of the 110 outlet has a little push button on top which is a simple breaker. Our Uhaul had the same thing. Being as this is an old trailer, you never know what a previous owner has done, and whether it was done right or not. If you install a battery inside the trailer it is a good idea to use a sealed battery box with a vent to the outside. All kinds of options to end up with 110 and 12 volt electric in your trailer.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
If you will rarely have shore power than forgot about putting anything 120 volts AC in the camper. No outlets, or 120 volt lights, etc. Only use 12 VDC stuff. How can I say that it really sounds like you don't know what you are doing without it coming out as sounding mean or unkind? At least get some competent and in-person / on-site assistance.
X2
You say you're "guessing" about it......that's not something you really want to do with electrical for your own safety. :boom:
Have someone qualified look at it/advise and go from there.
SteveV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #7

Minnesota
Registry
Honestly, for off grid camping, I'd not try to utilize 120v accessories. They require use of an inverter, which is not efficient battery use. There's so many better choices for 12v LED lighting, it's a no brainer to me.
Although, I have 120v capability, I rarely use it, even when on shore power.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #8

Name: Ashley
Arizona
Thank you!

This is all very helpful. I will be sure to stick with the 12V and not even worry about 120V since we will be doing the majority of our camping off-grid. I agree I don't know much about the topic which is why I posted here before buying or working with anything electrical in the trailer.
wxmixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #9

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
asshley contact

Ashley contact lisa here on this board she goes by lisatania she can help you a lot.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #10

Minnesota
Registry
Don't be afraid to ask questions, there's a lot of knowledge on this forum, and most folks are very willing to help.
12 volt LED lights are a cheap, efficient upgrade. Very little battery drain, and bright as you want.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have used those small puck lights in places, they stick on, use AAA batteries. No wiring necessary.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
when you're sizing your solar, figure on about half the solar panel's rated watts for 8 hours per sunny day. so, a 160W panel mounted on the trailer roof will likely give you no more than about 8 hours * 80 watts == 640 watt*hours. at 14 volts (charging voltage) thats 45 amp*hours neglecting conversion inefficiencies, or about half a charge on that 80AH battery. and thats when the sun is shining all day and you're not parked in the shade.

the solar panel is connected to a solar charge controller, which can be MPPT or PWM (MPPT is more efficient, PWM is cheaper), and the charge controller connects directly to the battery.

a regular camper setup ALSO has a 120V converter/charger, such as a PD4600 series, or a WFCO. these have a breaker-panel for your 120V outlets and stuff, they take in the 120V from the outside, and they convert the 120V to charge voltage (13-14V) and connect directly to the battery. they also have a fuse panel for your DC accessories (LED interior lighting, water pump, USB and cigar outlets, any other DC accessories). example WFCO power converter/panel below:
Attached Thumbnails
91Yipv0IisL._SL1500_[1].jpg  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #13

Mid Left Coast
also, any trailer over 1000 or 1500 lbs gross (I'm not exactly sure where the threshold is, and it may well vary by state vehicle code) *HAS* to have trailer brakes, these are usually electric, and require an on board 12V battery for emergency break-away braking.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:53 AM   #14

Minnesota
Registry
These above counter LED's are hard wired in, and use .3 watts each. I put one above the table, also.
Attached Thumbnails
LED pucks over counter.jpg   Table LED.jpg  

Old 11-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #15

Name: Bill
Idaho
Im a newbie Burro owner as well. I have to totally rewire my Burro and am between an idiot and a moron with electric. I have learned a little about DC wiring and am continuing to research. This forum is great for answers. You should use all LED lighting, Install a fuse box that will also give you the option to wire for AC because if you don't always want to rely on solar for battery charge or have a generator or might use a campground with power sometimes, AC power capability is a plus.
Gordon2 gave me a good reference book for wiring in an RV. I'm going to buy it.
cda will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #16

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda will View Post
Im a newbie Burro owner as well. I have to totally rewire my Burro and am between an idiot and a moron with electric. I have learned a little about DC wiring and am continuing to research. This forum is great for answers. You should use all LED lighting, Install a fuse box that will also give you the option to wire for AC because if you don't always want to rely on solar for battery charge or have a generator or might use a campground with power sometimes, AC power capability is a plus.
Gordon2 gave me a good reference book for wiring in an RV. I'm going to buy it.
I would get a power center, such as are made by PD, Wfco.... these take a 120VAC power cord from outside, have AC breakers for any AC outlets etc you want to install, then have a place to connect your battery, a fuse panel for your DC circuits, and a power converter, which takes in AC and both charges the battery and provides DC power for your lights, fan, etc when you're plugged into AC.

you probably want a 35-45A power center with a 30A AC main circuit, thats the size used on all modern Casitas, Escapes, and so forth.

this is the WFCO power center in my Escape... this one is a 55A which is probably much bigger than you'd want for a Burro, my Escape has 230AH worth of dual golf cart batteries, but they all look more or less the same. behind the plastic facia panel is all the connections, AC and DC.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:52 PM   #17

Name: Bill
Idaho
D C wiring Burro

Thanks, John. Fortunately, my Burro came with a new power center that looks about the same as yours. Really helps to simplify the wiring chore. Also had a reply about using marine grade wiring and heat shrink wraps for connectors that I’m going to use. Had a local R V repair place suggest coming off the battery with 8 AWG wire, going to a circuit breaker rather than using an in-line fuse. Sounds like a good idea, as well.

One of my many problems with planning for my wiring job has been my lack of knowledge about all of the various types of connectors and other wiring components. I’m learning though. Also have a teardrop trailer and I’ve picked up some knowledge from how the manufacturer did things. Unfortunately, a lot of things were covered during construction. Love this forum so thanks all!
cda will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:47 AM   #18

Mid Left Coast
the AC wiring should use Romex. this threw me when I first moved from DC and digital stuff to AC wiring, but in the AC world, black is hot, and white is neutral, while in DC, black is negative/ground, and red is positive. some trailers use the AC colors for DC wiring too, with a white negative (casita does this) but I'm not a big fan.

Tags
batteries, burro, electrical, wiring