Little Joe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #1

Name: Max
Trailer: 2007 Little Joe
Maryland
Little Joe

My wife and I just bought a used Little Joe RV. I have a couple of maintenance questions.

The front window leaks. I have already pulled it out and then re-seated with silicone sealant and it still leaks slightly. I hate to pull it out again. Has anyone had any experience with solving this problem?

The water tank is leaking. I assume that it must be replaced rather than patched. Am I correct or is there an easy, effective repair possible?

Thanks!
RangerBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
leaky water tank

Welcome to FGRV! Have you located the spot where the tank is leaking? What is the tank made of? These might make a difference in fixability (not that I'm too good at fixing things, but hopefully we can get some others to chime in).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation The dreaded vile Silicone strikes again

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBuff View Post
The front window leaks. I have already pulled it out and then re-seated with silicone sealant and it still leaks slightly. I hate to pull it out again. Has anyone had any experience with solving this problem?
Most of us have had experience...

Unfortunately, you have to pull the window out (again) and attempt to TOTALLY REMOVE all traces of Silicone.
It leaves an oily residue that if not completely removed will prevent proper sealants from adhering.

To be leak free you need to use Butyl Tape.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #4

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
North Carolina
Thanks for the info!!!!! The RV guy that I checked w/ is getting me an estimate but it didn't seem like he had worked w/ much fiberglass... It's hard finding someone here in NC so maybe I'll keep looking You are awesome!!!!!
Locklear in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Aarg! Silicone is a four letter word. My RV people just installed a light on mine and I forgot to tell them NO Silicone. You guessed it, there is a very neat circle of the stuff around the light fixture.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #6

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Welcome to the forum. You are one of a very few Little Joe owners here. How do you like it so far?

Regarding the water tank. I think it is unlikely that the poly tank itself is leaking after 4 years, unless there is evidence of an incident that may have damaged it.

Likely it is a loose hose connection.

Do you get leaks only when the tank is full, or when it is say, half full? If it leaks only on full, that isolates it to the top hoses. Check both the fill hose and the air bleed line clamps at the tank and inside the fill port. You will have to remove the fill port to check the connections there. Do you get the leaks only when the trailer is in motion, definitely top end. Note: If you pull the fill port, when you replace it,use the butyl rubber tape. I just replaced mine entirely with a locking door model.

If you get the leak when the tank is less than full, check the lower hose clamps and the compression fittings on either side of the drain valve. You should be able to wipe them dry and put something under and see if you get water. A jar lid should fit or a dry paper towel if not.

Clif
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Cajun Joe

Isn't he the bully of the bayou?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Max and wife, welcome to FiberglassRV. You've already received excellent advice. Pull the window, use butyl and don't allow silicone within 100 yards of your trailer (stuff invented by the Devil). I don't have a Little Joe, I think Clif's suggestions about the water tank would apply to any brand of molded trailer.

Post pictures when you can, we love to at pics!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
yeah,,,,uh,,,,throw out that sillycon stuff.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
as to the tank... unless there is some dammage that would be clearly seen from ourside from an impact,,,about the only thing that can make the tank itself leak would be if it froze and broke. or some knuckle head ....like me....mounted something to the trailer and drilled a hole in it in error...

so look at your fittings
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #11

Name: Max
Trailer: 2007 Little Joe
Maryland
This makes a lot of sense to me. I plan to tackle the problem in a couple of weeks just before I take Little Joe out for its first 2012 outing. I'll start with the fittings.
RangerBuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
little joe