The Quantum grows up... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2006, 08:39 PM   #1

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel and 24 ft Coachman 5th Wheel
Hi all,
I thought that some of you folks would enjoy seeing the quantum with it's new shoes on.
A week after Kent brought her down I went and lifted it by putting the axles on the bottom of the springs and adding a 1" spacer. I also added 15"wheels. All of this just so that I'm able to tow it with my Dodge 2500 diesel. Eventually when I complete the restoration it will be returned to it's normal height. I kinda like it this way though.
The photo shows the truck having a very small amount of clearance between the bed sides and the bottom of the camper. This has been fixed by new lower profile tires for the truck. (needed new tires anyway). also the pin box will be made adjustable.

Hersh
Attached Thumbnails
Quantum_hooked_to_dodge.jpg   Quantum_hooked_to_Dodge_2.jpg  

Hershal Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Is there enough clearance between truck box and trailer bed for going over Dips or Speed Bumps?
It looks close...

I don't know about Phoenix, but they have some MOUNTAINOUS Speed Bumps here, trying to controll the lifted monster trucks....
I high centered my Geo Metro on one...
Old 10-18-2006, 10:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Is there enough clearance [b]between truck box and trailer bed for going over Dips or Speed Bumps?
It looks close...

I don't know about Phoenix, but they have some MOUNTAINOUS Speed Bumps here, trying to controll the lifted monster trucks....
I high centered my Geo Metro on one...
Hi Frederick,
Did you read the last paragraph ? I have since fixed that issue and there is no problems with speed bumps. I also tow a 24' coachman fifth wheel with this truck and I made sure that the same clearance was available on the quantum. The quantum having tandum axles offers great stability especially with a fifth wheel hitch and being only 17' long. I will post another picture with the proper clearance.

I probably should have waited and taken newer pictures before posting.

Hersh
Old 10-19-2006, 06:55 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Very nice rig, Hersch.

Please keep the pics coming.

However, don't you think the lines of the Quantum would be better reflected with a Chevy truck
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #5

Yeah Clive,
You're probably right but all I have is this junkie old Dodge.
My brother has a new Chevy truck. maybe I'll trade him.
The only reason I have the quantum set up higher is so that I can tow it
when I move. My house is up for sale and I'm out of here as soon as this place sells.
Then once I'm settle in my new place I can start a full restoration on the Quantum.

Hersh
Old 10-19-2006, 12:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Yeah Clive,
You're probably right but all I have is this junkie old Dodge.
My brother has a new Chevy truck. maybe I'll trade him.
The only reason I have the quantum set up higher is so that I can tow it
when I move. My house is up for sale and I'm out of here as soon as this place sells.
Then once I'm settle in my new place I can start a full restoration on the Quantum.

Hersh
Hi: Nice modification but being a Bolermania I just don't understand... a Dodge junkie doing Quantum Physics and then looking for a shover lot pickup??? Personally my dream 5th. might be a 19' Scamp and a Quad Dakota Tug$$$ Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Hi: Nice modification but being a Bolermania I just don't understand... a Dodge junkie doing Quantum Physics and then looking for a shover lot pickup??? Personally my dream 5th. might be a 19' Scamp and a Quad Dakota Tug$$$ Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Somehow I get the feeling I'm not communicating here very well. If I'm writing in an offensive or iritating manor then I apologise to you all. It is not my intention to anger
anyone.

Alf says...."a Dodge junkie doing Quantum Physics and then looking for a shover lot pickup???
Alf, I'm sorry but I didn't get this at all but that's not unusual....alot of stuff goes
over my head. I have little or no wit at all. Never been the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Hersh
Old 10-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #8

Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
Hi Frederick,
Did you read the last paragraph ?

I have done some things with my trailer in the past that have actually caused some damage. I was just reacting to the photo...
Old 10-19-2006, 05:00 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Hershal,

We love seeing the work you're doing on your Quantum 5 and anxiously await more photos as your work continues. Thanks for keeping us abreast of your activities! Your postings are clear and imformative. I think many of us on the forum feel a special attachment to your trailer, and are overjoyed to see it get the care it deserves.

best wishes!
Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Somehow I get the feeling I'm not communicating here very well. If I'm writing in an offensive or iritating manor then I apologise to you all. It is not my intention to anger
anyone.

Alf says...."a Dodge junkie doing Quantum Physics and then looking for a shover lot pickup???
Alf, I'm sorry but I didn't get this at all but that's not unusual....alot of stuff goes
over my head. I have little or no wit at all. Never been the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Hersh
Hi: Just my warped sense of humour... Canadian Eh!!! Nothing to do with your manner I am a Boler Junkie using a Ford to tug with, so I guess I shouldn't talk so loud... Going to my room now...Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:34 PM   #11

Today I hooked the Quantum up to the Dodge Pickup and hauled it around to see how everything was working. This little trailer hauled so well that you can't believe it. It manuvers with ease backing and tight turning. What a great little package.
Frederick, I took some more photos of the clearance issues with the bedrails. as you can see the clearance is within a safe margin. I truly am sorry if my post offended. My wife read your post and she thought my response was a bit sharp. If she thought that then I know my posting was not in proper form. I don't believe I have ever been on a more friendlyier board than this on. I like so much the way all of you folks share and help each other. So Frederick please don't be sore at me.
Alf, now I get it !. See! I told ya, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to wit.
Jeanne, I will do my best to keep all informed of the progress I make on the Quantum.
The best is yet to come. I too have a special place in my heart for this little trailer. I am still researching the history and I have found some very interesting things about it. I will share when the total picture becomes clearer.

Hersh
Attached Thumbnails
Quantum_bedrail_clearance_6.5_inches.jpg   Clearance_6.5_inches.jpg  

Old 10-22-2006, 03:12 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G) / Chevy Astro AWD
Quote:
Hi all,
I thought that some of you folks would enjoy seeing the quantum with it's new shoes on.
A week after Kent brought her down I went and lifted it by putting the axles on the bottom of the springs and adding a 1" spacer. I also added 15"wheels. All of this just so that I'm able to tow it with my Dodge 2500 diesel. Eventually when I complete the restoration it will be returned to it's normal height. I kinda like it this way though.
The photo shows the truck having a very small amount of clearance between the bed sides and the bottom of the camper. This has been fixed by new lower profile tires for the truck. (needed new tires anyway). also the pin box will be made adjustable.

Hersh
The Quantum is gorgeous!!

Yves.
Yves Pelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:33 PM   #13

Registry
Exclamation

Quote:
Frederick please don't be sore at me.
No offense taken.
You were quite right that I had paid more attention to your photograph than I had to your narrative. How often do I look right at something and not see it?
(This is a purely rhetorical question!)
Old 10-22-2006, 07:40 PM   #14

Registry
Talking

Quote:
I too have a special place in my heart for this little trailer.
Congratulations on all of your work!
I especially like to see someone who cares for their unique treasures!
Old 10-22-2006, 09:01 PM   #15

Frederick,
My wife says I look at stuff and never see the whole picture all the time. Well, that is the way it is. I guess we only see what we want to see sometimes.
We owned a sixteen ft Casita for six years. It is a great little trailer but I wanted a small fifth wheel so about four years or so I started looking for one. I came across Bigfoot and the Scamp. Nearly bought a Scamp fiver until I saw a picture of the Quantum. I would check Ebay and all the other for sale RV listings looking for one but no luck. Then I saw Kent's ad for his so I jumped at the chance to buy it. I'm as happy as can be. Everyone that knows me can tell you that I am fanatical about building and finishing with great detail. This is one project that I am enthused about far more than all the other projects I've done.
To me the Quantum is a contemporary classic. It's design never goes out of style. It's like a P-51 Mustang. It is so well designed that if you change it it would not have the same appeal.
It is really special to have a forum where there are folks like us who can meet and talk about our passion for these beautiful little fiberglass gems. I also enjoy the history aspect where owners share what they know about of find out about their trailer.
Last but certainly not least is the usage. There is very few things in life that I truly enjoy as much as a long camping trip in the great outdoors. I'm a fly fisherman so I'm ready to go fly fishing at the drop of a hat . Having a small fiberglass camper really makes getting into a more remote place easy.

Ya see, I get to typing and I can't stop...I'll save some for later.

Hersh
Old 10-23-2006, 11:06 AM   #16

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
Hersh

So glad to hear that progress has started on the Quantum. Can't wait to see all that you are going to do. I have still not started work on mine as money right now is a big issue. I may have to sell the Fiber Stream in order to fix the Quantum but that would leave me with no camper for awhile and don't know if I want to do. I have been using the Fiber Stream aboout every other weekend and am not ready to stop yet. Pritty soon I am going to have to make a decicesion. For me its a rough call. I love them both.
Meanwhile, keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Ron
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:32 PM   #17

Hi Ron,
I will keep you and all here posted on my progress. I'm still doing the history investigation. I'll let you know what I find. Could you please let me know what serial number you have on your Quantum? I have 1002. I have found out that mine is the second one ever built. If you know of any other owners I would love to know what their serial number is too. If you like you can send it in an e mail.
Ron, keep your Fiberstream. Having fun comes first. You only go around once. This ain't no rehersal. You will be better of saving for the project. Hopefully I will be able to give you some help once I get my project underway.

Hersh
Old 09-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Hersh,

I've been so curious about your progress on the Quantum 5... Any news and/or photos for us?

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #19

Name: Roy
Trailer: Quantum 5
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershal Byrd View Post
Hi all,

Hersh
Hershal, I need to do this to clear the bedrail of a Tundra. Did you have any problems with stability once the center of gravity was raised?
Roy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:57 AM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Roy, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here.

I'm sorry to say we haven't heard from Hershal for a very long time: Last Activity: 12-08-2013 07:55 PM. It's doubtful he'll see your message, but we can always hope!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quantum