A/C Window Mount Design for Scamps - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #21

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Supplemental

Here are my works from ...ground up, inside to outside of A/C window unit. Share...
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-65440.html
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:49 AM   #22

Name: Nigel
Trailer: Scamp 13
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Nigel, have you installed that unit in your Scamp?

I'm looking at how modify Dave's design for our Bigfoot and I love the simplicity of this idea. We'll JUST have the room to make this work but I've PM'd Dave with a few questions and I'm waiting for his response.

bill (not laura)
I'll finish installing it today. Dave's design is great - my AC unit turned out to be a little bigger than what Home Depot posted in the on-line specifications. Also, the 1/8 inch protrusion on each side (in pictures above) added a complication and I needed to widen the opening of Dave's frame. He posted a drawing of the plan, with measurements, etc. that a person with decent woodworking skills (not me!) could adapt to their window size and AC size. I need to find some closed-cell foam to seal between the HDPE plastic and the Scamp window frame and that should be it.
nigeleccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:31 AM   #23

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeleccleston View Post
I'll finish installing it today. Dave's design is great - my AC unit turned out to be a little bigger than what Home Depot posted in the on-line specifications. Also, the 1/8 inch protrusion on each side (in pictures above) added a complication and I needed to widen the opening of Dave's frame. He posted a drawing of the plan, with measurements, etc. that a person with decent woodworking skills (not me!) could adapt to their window size and AC size. I need to find some closed-cell foam to seal between the HDPE plastic and the Scamp window frame and that should be it.
Nigel, yup, I'll figure a little wiggle room for units of differing sizes. I have printed Dave's drawing and will use the concept to produce the frame for a Bigfoot camper. I'm sure the unit we pick up from a local retailer will be slightly different and looking toward the future, a replacement unit may be slightly different again.

I'm wonder if closed cell foam would provide a weather seal around the frame tight enough to eliminate the need for duct tape? It's my plan to make my first template from cardboard, transfer that to plywood for a mock up and finally find a supplier for HDPE board. Hmmmm...

bill (not laura)
Old 05-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
My wife has asked for an air conditioner in our 16’ Scamp prior to leaving for Fort Worth in five days. Supposedly we purchased our Scamp “air conditioner ready” in 2013. I like the removable window idea better than roof mounted one. Your post was 2014. Is plastic frame available? Has it continued to work well? I’m in Madison.
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #25

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Didn't work for us, but...

the reason it wouldn't work was because of the size of the windows in our Bigfoot Fifth Wheel camper. Though the Bigfoot has lots of windows and they feel very large, the size of the opening when you slide the window glass open wasn't big enough for the metal frame of the smallest A/C unit we could find when combined with the wooden frame for the window kit. I worked at creating the wooden window frame for almost four hours cutting, trimming and customizing without any real success.

We have been able to employ a simple A/C support bracket to complete this project that I found at Lowe's (found here from Amazon). The difference in using this bracket is based on the fact that the bracket is metal and therefore stronger while being remaining thin enough to pass through the window to provide a shelf for the A/C unit to sit on safely.

I added a leg cut from a short section of 2 X 4 and placed inside the camper to which this support bracket is screwed. The top mounting plate of the A/C chassis, when sitting on the bracket, reaches to the top of the window frame and only leaves about two inches to one side of the A/C unit which I'll fill with a small piece of 1/4" plywood or rigid foam blocking. The opposite side of the A/C unit is against the glass & screen of the window leaving just and very small opening at the top and bottom of the window because of the radius of the window glass that is curved.

I didn't take any pictures because I haven't really done anything new for this solution. The window configuration of the Bigfoot camper makes this solution very unique and I doubt it would work for very many other applications.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #26

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
the reason it wouldn't work was because of the size of the windows in our Bigfoot Fifth Wheel camper. Though the Bigfoot has lots of windows and they feel very large, the size of the opening when you slide the window glass open wasn't big enough for the metal frame of the smallest A/C unit we could find when combined with the wooden frame for the window kit. I worked at creating the wooden window frame for almost four hours cutting, trimming and customizing without any real success.

We have been able to employ a simple A/C support bracket to complete this project that I found at Lowe's (found here from Amazon). The difference in using this bracket is based on the fact that the bracket is metal and therefore stronger while being remaining thin enough to pass through the window to provide a shelf for the A/C unit to sit on safely.

I added a leg cut from a short section of 2 X 4 and placed inside the camper to which this support bracket is screwed. The top mounting plate of the A/C chassis, when sitting on the bracket, reaches to the top of the window frame and only leaves about two inches to one side of the A/C unit which I'll fill with a small piece of 1/4" plywood or rigid foam blocking. The opposite side of the A/C unit is against the glass & screen of the window leaving just and very small opening at the top and bottom of the window because of the radius of the window glass that is curved.

I didn't take any pictures because I haven't really done anything new for this solution. The window configuration of the Bigfoot camper makes this solution very unique and I doubt it would work for very many other applications.

I have a 2013 Scamp 16’. I used the frame to mount a 5000 btu window unit during Texas trip two weeks ago. I rigged a support on a pole to the ground for that quick, make-do trip. I’d like a nicer longer lasting support solution. Yours looks like it.
Does the 2x4 rest against the inside wall of camper so it hangs down below the window with the bracket screwed into it?
I can fit my ac into the window but with very little space vertically to adjust to. How thick is the part of the bracket that must fit into the opening? 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”?

Thanks
Dsironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #27

Name: amy
Trailer: scamp 13
ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
Mike-N-Laurie were great at showing us that you can put a 5000btu window A/C into the back window of a Scamp. I was excited enough to go out and get the same Frigidaire unit. I definitely like the $120 price over the permanent roof mount that wouldn't fit through my garage door. And when it goes bad I can chuck it and get another for 1/7th the price of a roof model. I tested my Honda 2000i generator on it and it worked perfectly, even on high in the slow idle ECO mode once it was running.

Mike's idea to mount it was really good/simple but I was hoping to find a more solid state, universal mount that may hold the A/C a bit better. I also hoped to make it last for many, many years, like these FGlass campers we all have on this site. Something that could be used over and over and easy to install in minutes.

Well anyway, I finished my prototype this morning. It took a lot of measurements and designing to make it fit perfectly so I made the prototype out of plywood. I found a source for some black plastic (hi density polyethylene) that I plan on making the finished one out of. I designed it to come apart with screws but most likely wing nuts for ease of use. It is made to have a plate on each side and the outside will be permanently attached to the frame. So it is made to sandwich both sides of the window for a nice snug fit. Once the A/C was in it fit so well that there is no need for extra support and it does not stress or damage the window frame. It is designed not to be transported in the window though.

I haven't purchased the plastic yet and it's far cheaper to order a 4' x 8' sheet which is enough for 4 of these. So if anyone is interested in having one made up for your A/C rather than making your own let me know as I am going to initially make 4. I would gladly buy one myself as designing was a pain so I might as well have a few on hand in case others have interest. Not sure of the cost yet to make one but should have a price once they are done in the next few weeks. I might warn that the plastic is pricey but will last forever and won't need paint. I also want to find some good weatherstripping to keep the rain and bugs out. Once the final design is done I will put more pics up. Please use your imagination with the color black for now. I would rather show the finished result but was too excited to use the A/C and show it right away to everyone. I got air!!!!

Interested parties can PM me.
This is SOOOO perfect!! I think I'm going to incorporate this to try to make something similar! Then I won't have to lug the heavy loud roof ac when we boondock only carry it when we go down to Disney! THANK YOU!!
amy in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:23 PM   #28

ME
Quote:
Mike-N-Laurie were great at showing us that you can put a 5000btu window A/C into the back window of a Scamp. I was excited enough to go out and get the same Frigidaire unit. I definitely like the $120 price over the permanent roof mount that wouldn't fit through my garage door. And when it goes bad I can chuck it and get another for 1/7th the price of a roof model. I tested my Honda 2000i generator on it and it worked perfectly, even on high in the slow idle ECO mode once it was running.

Mike's idea to mount it was really good/simple but I was hoping to find a more solid state, universal mount that may hold the A/C a bit better. I also hoped to make it last for many, many years, like these FGlass campers we all have on this site. Something that could be used over and over and easy to install in minutes.

Well anyway, I finished my prototype this morning. It took a lot of measurements and designing to make it fit perfectly so I made the prototype out of plywood. I found a source for some black plastic (hi density polyethylene) that I plan on making the finished one out of. I designed it to come apart with screws but most likely wing nuts for ease of use. It is made to have a plate on each side and the outside will be permanently attached to the frame. So it is made to sandwich both sides of the window for a nice snug fit. Once the A/C was in it fit so well that there is no need for extra support and it does not stress or damage the window frame. It is designed not to be transported in the window though.

I haven't purchased the plastic yet and it's far cheaper to order a 4' x 8' sheet which is enough for 4 of these. So if anyone is interested in having one made up for your A/C rather than making your own let me know as I am going to initially make 4. I would gladly buy one myself as designing was a pain so I might as well have a few on hand in case others have interest. Not sure of the cost yet to make one but should have a price once they are done in the next few weeks. I might warn that the plastic is pricey but will last forever and won't need paint. I also want to find some good weatherstripping to keep the rain and bugs out. Once the final design is done I will put more pics up. Please use your imagination with the color black for now. I would rather show the finished result but was too excited to use the A/C and show it right away to everyone. I got air!!!!

Interested parties can PM me.
Is there a reason you didn't make the opening in the middle? Is it because the frame side is more stable and the window side isn't? Sorry, the OCD in me just
couldnt help but notice
Old 06-16-2018, 11:50 PM   #29

ME
Can somebody direct me to mike n Laurie’s post? I tried searching mike n Laurie, window mount, ac, air conditioner and none of it shows anything?? Am I doing the search wrong?

Ohhh they had replied to the OP's post I was able to click their name

but this search feature is not working at all for me :/
Old 07-07-2020, 05:32 PM   #30

Name: Dianne
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Illinois
AC window mount

I know you posted about these 7 years ago (!) but any chance you have any left from the 10 that you were selling? 🤞 I'd love to buy one for my 13' Scamp.

Thanks,
Dianne
hockeymama0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:01 AM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A/C Window Mount Design for Scamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy in maine View Post
Is there a reason you didn't make the opening in the middle? Is it because the frame side is more stable and the window side isn't? Sorry, the OCD in me just

couldnt help but notice [emoji14]
Two years too late, but for someone else wondering the same... The sliding sections of the window do not completely clear the opening because of the corner radius. The A/C unit is offset toward the outer frame because the glass slider and screen are in the way toward the center.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:41 AM   #32

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymama0505 View Post
I know you posted about these 7 years ago (!) but any chance you have any left from the 10 that you were selling? 🤞 I'd love to buy one for my 13' Scamp.

Thanks,
Dianne
Hi Dianne, I sent you a post, and yes, for whatever reason I saw another, probably the original one we used in storage building a week ago while cleaning up.

Sorry, last one for anyone else and when it's gone that's it. but I did supply very detailed plans on one of the posts. I missed the post about why AC was offset but there is little fudge room to make it work as stated because of the curve. Deviate any direction from the plans and it won't fit. And I have no plans to make any more as getting the materials to assemble one or two are not very economical. I had to get 4x8 sheets (hard to haul) of plastic and plywood and there is a lot of waste with the size of the pieces. Lots of costs driving around and such. I just hoped to make some no A/C Scamp owners happy and get relief from the heat and humidity so made a few.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:44 AM   #33

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
I bought a frame from Dave (Vtec) when he put them up for sale a couple years ago. He did a great job on them and it fits like a glove, but I went in a different direction for our 2017 Scamp 16. We found a lower profile AC unit than Scamp specs., that enables us to park it in our garage. We bought, and had Scamp install a Coleman Cub Mach 8. Very happy with it, BTW.

I would be happy to send the Vtec frame to anyone who could use it. Price shipped would be what I paid for it ($75.00) and that includes shipping. It was never used, but I did open it and placed it in the opening to check the fit.

Thanks, Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #34

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymama0505 View Post
I know you posted about these 7 years ago (!) but any chance you have any left from the 10 that you were selling? [emoji1696] I'd love to buy one for my 13' Scamp.

Thanks,
Dianne
I'd be in for 1 also. Thanks
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #35

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
I'd be in for 1 also. Thanks
Barry, I sent you a PM. TomK
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:25 PM   #36

Wisconsin
Hi everyone, I caught this thread today and by chance had the original left, sent it out this morning, and there are no more. I thought for sure that I posted the original detailed plans here but for the life of me can not find it so am re-posting for anyone that wants to make one or a bunch. Because of how tedious it is to make them I have no plans to make more unless I do them on a cnc router table for the cutouts. I also used 3/16" black high density plastic on the outside but I think 1/4" would be better.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0422.jpg  
Old 07-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #37

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I have saved this to my files. Thanks for sharing it!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:56 PM   #38

Name: Peter
Trailer: Scamp
NY
Quote:
Hi everyone, I caught this thread today and by chance had the original left, sent it out this morning, and there are no more. I thought for sure that I posted the original detailed plans here but for the life of me can not find it so am re-posting for anyone that wants to make one or a bunch. Because of how tedious it is to make them I have no plans to make more unless I do them on a cnc router table for the cutouts. I also used 3/16" black high density plastic on the outside but I think 1/4" would be better.
Hi Vtec/Dave,

I apologize for bringing up an old thread. I read that you no longer has the scamp and this mount. However, I have some questions for you and hope you can still answer them. It's much appreciated. I bought a GE 5000 BTU AC from home depot with similar dimensions but not exact match. I want to do a mount like yours. I'll need to modify your measurements to fit my AC.

My questions are that can this mount be removed and put on without removing the screws from the front or back? Does the top and side has enough wiggle room to slide the mount up and side to put it in and take it out? You mentioned on your diagram that some of the ply wood has to be an 1/2 inch thickness. Is the reason for that is because 1/2 inch would allow the mount to slide sideway?

Thanks for your help.

Peter
PeterNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:33 PM   #39

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterNY View Post
Hi Vtec/Dave,

I apologize for bringing up an old thread. I read that you no longer has the scamp and this mount. However, I have some questions for you and hope you can still answer them. It's much appreciated. I bought a GE 5000 BTU AC from home depot with similar dimensions but not exact match. I want to do a mount like yours. I'll need to modify your measurements to fit my AC.

My questions are that can this mount be removed and put on without removing the screws from the front or back? Does the top and side has enough wiggle room to slide the mount up and side to put it in and take it out? You mentioned on your diagram that some of the ply wood has to be an 1/2 inch thickness. Is the reason for that is because 1/2 inch would allow the mount to slide sideway?

Thanks for your help.

Peter
Hi Peter, and sorry I missed your question. Whole idea of screwing it in from one side is it acts like a tight sandwich in the window. There is no movement up, down or anywhere, the design needed various thicknesses just to make it work. You could probably use wingnuts or something else but I just used my drill driver which I always have with. And with the hot weather it's probably best this thread was bumped again.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:18 AM   #40

Name: Sean
Trailer: looking for Scamp or Casita 16
Pennsylvania
New Scamp 16

Hey all, Hi VTec Dave,

I'm probably going to go this direction as a winter project. I have a new 16 arriving in October and am curious how it is going with everyone's set up that use this.

Where are you guys plugging in? Extension cord run under the bed/dinette?

I'm gonna have to take a closer look at your pics and such, and hope the window is still big enough to support this idea!!!!

Super stoked now!

Sean
Nullson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp