$7500 off new Parkliner - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #41

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
I wonder what the double wall insulated construction and additional foot of length did to the tow weight and tongue weight?

An owner of the earlier Parkliner told me that his Ford Escape 2.0L Ecoboost did not do well pulling his Parkliner. I wondered why?

Although the additional interior height would be great for my 6'4" son-in-law, I wondered if additional frontal area that was created was the culprit? Or, maybe the weight?

It sure will be nice when all of the details and specifications for the new trailer are finally communicated!

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #42

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Notice they are now using a 12v awning similar to Escape with no arms...
Not sure I consider that a positive, even ignoring the cost hike.

I've heard Escape may renew the option of an awning with arms and a manual mode. If so I'll definitely go for that option when it comes time for my build sheet.

Walt
Old 01-21-2017, 07:09 PM   #43

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
I wonder what the double wall insulated construction and additional foot of length did to the tow weight and tongue weight?

An owner of the earlier Parkliner told me that his Ford Escape 2.0L Ecoboost did not do well pulling his Parkliner. I wondered why?

Although the additional interior height would be great for my 6'4" son-in-law, I wondered if additional frontal area that was created was the culprit? Or, maybe the weight?

It sure will be nice when all of the details and specifications for the new trailer are finally communicated!

Ray
I don't think that's an increase in ceiling height. My 2013 Parkliner had at least that and my grandson, who is 6'5", found it to be the only egg he could stand upright in.
Frank can verify that if he reads this thread. His is a 2012

Walt
Old 01-21-2017, 07:09 PM   #44

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The manual is available now, not Dometic but Carefree, but I love my Dometic.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #45

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I don't think that's an increase in ceiling height. My 2013 Parkliner had at least that and my grandson, who is 6'5", found it to be the only egg he could stand upright in.
Frank can verify that if he reads this thread. His is a 2012

Walt
Sorry! I wasn't clear on that.
I really was talking about the height of the older Parkliner.

I was really surprised that a Ford Escape 2.0L, with 240 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque, would struggle with a 15 foot trailer.

Sounds like it might be really hard (or impossible) for it (or any 4cyl?) to pull the new 16 ft with double hull construction.

Ray

Sent from my SM-G930V using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 01-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #46

SW Virginia
Ray
What do you mean by "an older Parkliner". Both Frank's and mine were among the first twenty built.

Walt
Old 01-21-2017, 09:10 PM   #47

Missouri
Older = prior to the new/recently-announced Parkliner 16 foot double-hull trailer.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:37 AM   #48

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
I don't know what they're thinking. For $15k I can buy a nice used 25-30 footer with all the amenities, and buy a truck and still be under the parkliner price. Heck, I'd have enough money left over to pay for years of gas for the truck and all my camping stays.
These small trailers only make sense when you buy used at half price or refurb an old one.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:34 AM   #49

SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Older = prior to the new/recently-announced Parkliner 16 foot double-hull trailer.

But my point is the older ones already had the 6'4" ceilings.

Walt
Old 01-22-2017, 07:00 AM   #50

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Rob, that proves only that you are not their intended market... $15K places you outside the target market for almost any new molded fiberglass trailer except a fairly basic Scamp.

Parkliner is betting there are others who want a new, small, high quality, molded fiberglass trailer and who are willing to pay for it. They are betting not everyone wants to deal with a 5- year-old 30' sticky.

I certainly hope so. A steady stream of new molded fiberglass units hitting the road also means a robust used market for the rest of us who lack the means or the inclination to buy new.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #51
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
I don't know what they're thinking. For $15k I can buy a nice used 25-30 footer with all the amenities, and buy a truck and still be under the parkliner price. Heck, I'd have enough money left over to pay for years of gas for the truck and all my camping stays.
These small trailers only make sense when you buy used at half price or refurb an old one.
If someone doesn't buy a new one ther will never be a used one kinda like what happens in Cuba.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:23 AM   #52

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
But my point is the older ones already had the 6'4" ceilings.
I believe Ray meant the Parkliner ceiling height is taller than other makes, not that the new PL is taller than the old. His point was that if a 3500# rated tug struggled with the old PL, the new one seems likely to be even heavier.

It is a valid question- how much this new PL weighs- because 3500# is somewhat of a break point in terms of tow vehicles. It may end up being like a Casita 17- just a little too heavy for many smaller vehicles. That, in turn, would reduce its potential market.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #53

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Rob , I have expressed this same point many times and got the same responses and condescending answers

The only difference between a stick built and a fiberglass trailer is the body construction .
The frames are basically the same as well as the axles , brakes ,appliances , tanks , plumbing , wiring , hardware , windows , light fixtures , converter , tank probes , furnace , A/C , water heater , water pump , flooring , battery , foam seat cushions Etc , Etc.
99% of the parts for either style , stick built or FG come out of the same place , Elkhart Indiana.
The stick built trailers often have better insulation
and better built cabinets than some of the higher end FG trailers
( Real wood cabinet doors vs MDF with contact paper. )
( Interlocking panels vs hot melt glue and staples.

Why then does a FG trailer cost nearly twice as much as a stick built on a per ft basis . There is a cost to build the FG shell but there is also a cost to build a stick built shell *but is it the cost to build a FG shell 2, 3 ,4 ,5 ?? times more expensive than a stick built ? .

FG trailers are a niche market and some buyers are willing to pay a higher price even when there is no tangible gain , so there is no incentive for the FG manufacturers to modernize / automate their production methods. I've been to the Scamp and Casita factories and they are building trailers like they are still in the early 1900's
We constantly are reminded on this forum about the leak problems with conventional trailers but in actuality there are people with leaky fiberglass trailers looking for help on this forum continually .

The cost of a new fiberglass trailer is out of line with economic reality . Many people are not sitting around with extra piles of disposable income to spend on a FG trailer.
Rob has a valid point !!

My 2014 Ram 1500 Quad Cab V8 ,fully equipped / optioned pickup truck when purchased new cost less than a new 16 ft Parkliner trailer .
Something is wrong with the FG trailer pricing structure !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #54

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Rob , I have expressed this same point many times and got the same responses and condescending answers...
Same response, yes. I have owned several conventionally constructed RVs and prefer my Scamp, warts and all.

Condescending? Since I placed myself in the same category (please read the last paragraph)- namely people who buy modestly-priced used RVs, who are not going to be buying a new molded fiberglass trailer anytime soon, and who are therefore not in Parkliner's target market- I feel unjustly accused!

I do not in any case believe prices should be based on some standard of fairness or equity among trailer types. Whose standard? I'm for letting the market decide if this trailer is worth the price.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #55

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Notice they are now using a 12v awning similar to Escape with no arms...
They do have arms, just folded into the case. You can see the brackets below both ends where they attach.
Quote:
You can buy a decent stick built for that price. I bought a 22' stick built fifth wheel last spring for much less than that. It was a 21 year old trailer, that had not seen the road at all and was kept as a cabin with a shed roof built over top of it. I bought it to use for camping season last year, and did a fair bit with it, as we waited for Escape to finish the moulds on their new 2017 model of the 5.0TA. That said, I could not wait to be able to get our new trailer (which we pick up on Friday), as there were lots of things that were just not of the same quality, something I have found on almost every stick built I have owned or seen, even with the new ones. I had a 24' bunk model that was really starting to have lots of issues after 11 years. Lots of leaks, things falling apart, crappy windows, etc. This will not happen with a well built moulded fibreglass trailer.

Not sure where you are buying your trucks at, but mine cost even more that the new Escape, though I do plan to use both for many, many years to come.

And yes, there is also merit in picking up an older used model, and fixing it up, turning it into a great little unit, one you can take pride in rebuilding. I have done that. BUT, this is not the only way to make sense of purchasing a moulded fibreglass trailer of any size.

There seems to be a lot of guessing about all the features the new ParkLiner will have, along with what the actual cost will be. We also have to believe the owners have done their homework in making the decision to market in this way, and give them a shot at succeeding. I think they will find a good niche market with folks that wander into a dealership, seeing them and falling in love. There are plenty of folks out there with the money to pay whatever the final asking price might be, and they may just do quite well.

As always, I wish ParkLiner all the best into the future.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:39 AM   #56

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Parkliner SOLD November 2017
South Carolina
Registry
Quality vs. Quantity

I have been looking at postings from conventional (stick built) travel trailer groups websites and blogs, and they all bemoan the quality of the newer build trailers. There is talk that because the workers are given bonuses for production, the quality has suffered. You won't find that with a fiberglass trailer as they are generally not mass produced. That is why the cost more.

I ordered my Parkliner last September (2016) and was informed that it will be ready in about 4 weeks. I live in SC and was counting on being able to bring it back to the factory in NC if I had any issues or upgrades I wanted, but I'm not sure if they will allow that now.

Also, it is great that they will have financing available. Not many people know that you can write off the interest on your taxes. If your RV has a bathroom and a kitchen, it can be considered a second home, and the interest is tax deducatble.
Sandy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #57

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It may be a FG trailer but it ain't no bargain !.
IMHO , they will either have to lower their price or they will go out of business. There are too many good FG alternatives to compete at that price point
I agree with Sandy54, with the new ownership it doesn't seem they are interested competing with the good alternatives anymore. Double hull and insulation, it will be interesting to see how the good the quality is and what it might do to the high end market.

It does seem competitively priced versus a 16' Bambi.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #58
Commercial Member

Name: jerry
Trailer: ESCAPE 21/ OXYGEN 21
Missouri
parkliner price

i talked to Parkliner in nov and they told me they had plans to build a new 20 ft and the price would be around $35. I
told them thst was too pricy for me . they seem to compare their trailer to an oliver which to me is over priced and too heavy. Maybe that eas the new 20ft you saw. Thrir website shos the 15ft pricef around low 20s
oldstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #59

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstation View Post
i talked to Parkliner in nov and they told me they had plans to build a new 20 ft and the price would be around $35. I
told them thst was too pricy for me . they seem to compare their trailer to an oliver which to me is over priced and too heavy. Maybe that eas the new 20ft you saw. Thrir website shos the 15ft pricef around low 20s
It looks like their most recent updates are to their Facebook page. I don't do FB but you can see their recent stuff. Pricing would only be from whomever was at the Tampa show.

https://www.facebook.com/ParkLiner
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #60

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I just came up on this post and did not read through the whole thread. Is this the new 16? They announced on Facebook they had this new larger model.

I'll do my best to read through this tomorrow at work. Too darn busy on the weekends! ;>}

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner