96 Ford Ranger extended cab V6 and Escape 5.0? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2017, 03:57 PM   #21

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Parkliner SOLD November 2017
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfleming View Post
Sandy 54,
You are correct that the Ranger 4.0 will pull the the trailer. You can pull a trailer with many things. The question is, will you feel comfortable? Will it be stable? Many people go through a learning process until they feel comfortable. If you are comfortable with your rig, then I am glad. Maybe you have one of the exceptions of the rule for your Ranger. Most posts I see are leaning away from the Ranger due to it's limitations.

Mine had the full towing package and would pull just fine also. The issue was that wind (in Wyoming we get some fierce wind up to 75 mph) and just a 20 mph wind will degrade your power and fuel economy. I am getting ready to retire in about 5 years and did not want to have to take out a 2nd mortgage just to be able to travel.

Also my comfort level may be very well higher than others. It just seems that the truck was always fighting to get up to highway speeds and had a hard time maintaining anything over 60 mph. In the hills, and we have a lot of them, it just did not have the power to my comfort level to pull them. I may be a little more impatient than other though. But 20 mph going up a 6% grade is just not good for me. It is hard to keep time schedules that way and the added cost of fuel just wasn't making sense to me.

I would be curious as to the mileage you get and the weight of your trailer. My trailer weight before adding any gear and filling the tanks was 4100 lbs. Then add additional gear to the truck and I was at almost max weight for the truck as the Ford Ranger only has a rated 5000 lb towing capacity.

The individual that is going to pull the Escape is looking at just a little bit more weight than I have and I feel that if he does his research, he will find that he will be better off with something with more towing capacity and power.

Yes, the small trucks will pull, but are you working them to their max capacities? I think so and then longevity diminishes upon time when run hard at max.

I'm glad you are satisfied with your rig and hope it serves you well for many years. Each of us has different opinions and comfort levels.

Happy camping.
That is why I advised him to look up the vin # to see exactly what his Ranger is rated to tow. My Parkliner dry weight is 2,400 lbs, so even if I add 1,500 lbs of additional weight (full water tank, etc.) which I doubt I will come close to, I'm still within my Ranger's weight limit. I have the 2 door FWD version, so it can tow more than the 4 door, 4 WD Ranger.
Sandy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:13 PM   #22

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Barry on the Escape forum has a Ranger, older but not pre 2001 I don't think. He pulls a 2010 Escape 5.0 without issue. He lives in BC. His concern on one thread was the frontal area of the trailer, he said it was why he bought the 5.0 before they introduced the wider 5.0TA, with greater frontal area.

If the OP only had the 3.0 L V6 then certainly he should not consider towing an Escape 5.0, but with the 4.0 L it is very doable. Wonder if he is looking for a used 5.0.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
There was a member of the Escape forum who had his trailer weighed for trailer & pin weight . His pin weight was 1020 lbs.
The common / rule of thumb formula for pin weight of a 5th wheel trailer is 20% of the trailer weight . The average loaded weight of an Escape 5.0 TA is 4200 to 4500 lbs so the pin weight based on 20% is 840 to 900 lbs.
I am not questioning your pin weight of 745 lbs but that is on the light end of the published / stated spectrum.
Most people carry far more weight in their vehicle and trailer than they imagine.
For years the assumed weight for an adult was 150 Lbs . The average weight as of 2010 according to studies for an adult male is 200 lbs and an adult female is 160 lbs , an increase of 20%.
I know exactly how much weight I am carrying in my vehicle. Every item has been weighed independently. The pin weight I quoted is a certified scale weight done at the local Pilor/Flying J. Incidentally, Escape Trailer Industries lists 600 lbs as the pin weight for the 5.0TA on their website. IMO, that is a bit low. While I do not know to whom you refer, I would question the method by which it was calculated. My pin weight was determined by disconnecting the trailer and weighing it, by itself, on the scale. The trailer was then reconnected and then driven forward so that only the trailer's wheels remained on the scale. The difference was 745 lbs. (what isn't on the wheels is on the pin). It was also calculated using separate portions of the scale (drive wheels and trailer wheels) with the same results. And fully loaded (empty holding tanks) my 5.0TA weighs @4,200 lbs., and I admittedly have a lot of stuff in it. The only thing I can surmise is that full holding tanks (gray and black) could contribute to a higher pin weight given that the hold an approximate 56 gallons if full. The fresh water tank on a 5.0TA is far enough back that it wouldn't add to the pin weight. Still, I cannot imagine anyone traveling with full holding tanks and not dumping them before hitting the road. Or, it could be the previously alluded to dead body theory! But getting back to the OP's question, he referred to a 5.0, and they are no longer made. I'm not sure if the OP meant the current model, which is The TA. I would still question the wisdom of using a Ranger as a TV for either, but definitely not the 5.0TA.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M_1 View Post
Tonight my dad offered to lend/sell/give me his V6 96 Ranger. Its a nice truck with an automatic transmission. It has 40K miles on it since it isn't driven much. It needs a little work because he hasn't taken good care of it...new radiator, new brake pads, shocks, struts, tires, fluid flushes etc. I have spent my career maintaining aircraft and I'm up to the task of putting this truck it top shape. It runs and drives fine now, I just wouldn't try to pull a 5th wheel camper with it.

I'm wondering if it would be up to pulling an escape 5.0? I'll eventually do the math, but its an older truck and I'm not finding the data I need tonight. Since a tacoma and a frontier can pull an escape 5.0 I would expect the Ford Ranger can too. I'm guessing that the payload will be the limiting factor and I can't find that anywhere tonight. I would also expect that gas mileage wouldn't be great.

Does anyone have comments on using a 96 v6 ranger automatic for towing an escape 5.0? I don't have the cash right now to get the camper and a bigger or newer truck.
The Ranger is a great truck... so fix it up and buy a smaller trailer which it can tow, like a Scamp 5er.
If you buy used you will have both a virtually "free" trailer and a "free" truck to sell, if you really want a big trailer and a big truck later on.
Both the Ranger and the Scamp 5er have terrific resale.
Caution... you may find that this choice could prove to be an inoculation which may immunize you against twofootitis!
Besides the Ranger is the perfect second car and you can park it in the garage out of the weather when if you find your new big truck won't fit.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: shopping
Georgia
OK folks. Thanks for the comments. I had an opportunity to buy an escape 5.0 today only a few miles from my house but someone bought it sight unseen (no longer available) so I withdraw my question. IF a Ranger can pull an escape 5.0 my engineering opinion is that it can barely do it. The ranger was going to be a temporary solution until I could get something better. I can't afford the camper and a tow vehicle at the same time and the ranger was the only way I could make it work. Anyhow since the escape sold its irrelevant now.
John_M_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #26

Name: Randy
Trailer: In the Market
Oregon
Engines were: a 2.3-liter four, and 3.0- and 4.0-liter V6s. Five-speed manual transmissions were standard and 4-speed automatics optional. The 1997 had a 5 speed automatic as an option. The 4.0 made 160 hp and 220 lbs of torque.
Randy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #27

Oregon
Scamp 19

Its a match made in heaven for the ranger. And prices are actually better finding a used scamp 19 vrs the scamp 16.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:16 PM   #28

Name: John
Trailer: shopping
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. View Post
Its a match made in heaven for the ranger. And prices are actually better finding a used scamp 19 vrs the scamp 16.
Still trying to find out if dad's truck is a 3.0 or 4.0 V6. I'm not a big fan of the scamp 5th wheels though. The forward bed is not really queen sized bed. My wife and I have a King at home and we can barely get by with a queen.

A weird curved "queen" that isn't really a queen won't work for us (or at least I don't think so). FYI my wife is a high maintenance sleeper - she tosses and turns and pulls the covers and punches her pillows A LOT. The further apart we are the better we both sleep. This makes camper shopping difficult.
John_M_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:03 PM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Still trying to find out if dad's truck is a 3.0 or 4.0 V6. I'm not a big fan of the scamp 5th wheels though. The forward bed is not really queen sized bed. My wife and I have a King at home and we can barely get by with a queen.

A weird curved "queen" that isn't really a queen won't work for us (or at least I don't think so). FYI my wife is a high maintenance sleeper - she tosses and turns and pulls the covers and punches her pillows A LOT. The further apart we are the better we both sleep. This makes camper shopping difficult.
The bed in the Scamp 19. Ahh, yes.....one of the three main reasons I got rid of mine and bought the Escape 5.0TA in its place.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Still trying to find out if dad's truck is a 3.0 or 4.0 V6.
I had an extended cab 1998 Ranger with the 3.0 V6 and a five speed 4x4 manual transmission.

It was sometimes marginal at holding 70 mph (posted speed) on the Interstate grades between Seattle and Portland. Freeway grades there are generally pretty moderate. This was with one or two occupants, no load, and no trailer.

I used it to tow an 1,140 lb teardrop trailer home some 50 miles from where I purchased it. I was the only occupant in the truck, and had no additional gear. It was underwhelming; I had to drop a gear on hilly sections of the freeway to maintain 60 mph. I never used the truck to tow the teardrop loaded for camping.

When I loaded the truck with yard waste, it accelerated in a manner that clearly communicated it was not in any hurry.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #31

Oregon
[QUOTE=John_M_1;629491]. FYI my wife is a high maintenance sleeper - she tosses and turns and pulls the covers and punches her pillows A LOT.
ahh the dinette makes into a bed. then you each can have a large bed to sleep in

Old 03-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #32

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
My Escape 19 has a queen sized bed, not a 5.0 but a bumper pull.

Tags
escape