Broken rear lense cover 1985 Uhaul camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #1

Name: WILL
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul 13 foot
Minnesota
Broken rear lense cover 1985 Uhaul camper

My wife just backed into the left rear lense cover of my 1985 Uhaul camper. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement?

Thank you
willwheelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 12 ft Chariot (Stealth Egg) and 1987 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by willwheelock View Post
My wife just backed into the left rear lense cover of my 1985 Uhaul camper. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement?

Thank you
A replacement for the wife ?
DayTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:

Thank you
Obsolete part, no longer available. Only possibility is if someone has done the adapter conversion and took off a good lens that they will sell.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:11 AM   #4

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Now may be a good idea to change to LED? U-Haul made everything for these trailers themselves - may be worth a look with them to see who has any stock or where they came from. 3-D printing is all the rage today - maybe someone can make two so they match?
Old 07-12-2017, 06:00 AM   #5

New York
best idea is to buy a set of the fiberglass adapters made by Gary and convert to a standard round light. They directly attach using the original lens screw holes. I have a couple sets of the aluminum adapters that Uhaul once sold for the conversion (sold out now) but Gary's adapters are better. Someone was working on a mold to produce new lenses, but haven't seen any report on that venture in a long time. These are the aluminum adapters, originally used on the older cargo trailers.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0227.jpg  
Old 07-12-2017, 06:12 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Broken rear lense cover 1985 Uhaul camper

Unfortunately, there is no simple replacement.

Because the original lenses are no longer available, a couple of people have designed and are selling adapters that fit the opening and allow you to install a standard round flush-mount taillight (LED would be a nice upgrade). I believe I saw an aluminum version and another made of fiberglass.

A site search on "U-Haul taillight adaptor" might turn up a link, or a U-haul owner might chime in.

As Bob says, you could get very lucky and find someone who installed the adapters and still has one good lens left.

For a more original appearance, some people install taillight units from 80's vintage GM pick-ups, but I believe some modification of the fiberglass is required. .

Welcome to the joys of vintage U-hauls!

(EDIT- I see Bob has already chimed in regarding the adapters.)
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:39 AM   #7

New York
[QUOTE=Jon in AZ;649680]Unfortunately, there is no simple replacement.

Because the original lenses are no longer available, a couple of people have designed and are selling adapters that fit the opening and allow you to install a standard round flush-mount taillight (LED would be a nice upgrade). I believe I saw an aluminum version and another made of fiberglass.

For a more original appearance, some people install taillight units from 80's vintage GM pick-ups, but I believe some modification of the fiberglass is required. . (Jon's quote)

(Bob's reply)
Only one fiberglass adapter being made that I know of.

The GM pickup units do require fiberglass work to modify the openings and now with the availability of Gary's adapters is now a thing of the past

One owner made a lens by heating and bending Lexan or a similar material
Old 07-12-2017, 06:47 AM   #8

New York
Another problem with the Uhaul tail lights is the mounting for the bulb sockets, which again is a unique to Uhaul molded rubber piece that also acts as the gasket for the lens. Like most every part on the trailers, "Uhaul" is molded on the lens, as it is on the marker light lenses. At least the markers are a common light made by Arrow. Imagine the cost of the special tooling to make the tail light assemblies, rather than using off the shelf lights and making the mounting area flat like it's Burro cousin rather than rounded.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #9

Minnesota
Thank you all who have responded. Currently I am using crazy glue and clear tape. I know it's a long shot but I have to try
Old 07-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #10

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If you have the pieces or most of them then Acrifix will make things all better.
Acrifix is a UV cured glue that will repair a very expensive sailplane canopy and can be finished to be pretty much optically OK.
It cures fast and can be built up in layers and sanded or ground with a Dremel tool.
It is expensive though at $49.00 a tube!
I have some and it is great and has paid for itself many times.
Here it a link to the place I bought mine.
http://eglider.org/repair-materials/acrifix-192.html

I have repaired canopies, red plastic lenses for anti-collision lights etc.
A side benefit is you don't need a UV light to cure, just put it in the bright sunlight and it cures pretty quickly.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #11

Minnesota
Thank you. I did a temp fix but because the lense was pretty brittle it shattered. Thank you for your help tbough.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:38 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Thank you. I did a temp fix but because the lense was pretty brittle it shattered. Thank you for your help tbough.
Being the parts are far from easy to find, it may be a good time to upgrade to parts that are common today.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:22 AM   #13

New York
I will sell a set of the aluminum adapters, but you are really better off with the fiberglass set that Gary Roys makes as they attach to the original lens screw holes. Then you use whatever light you choose.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #14

Minnesota
lense covers

Thank you for the offer. How much would I be looking at as far a price goes?
Old 07-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #15

New York
Quote:
Thank you for the offer. How much would I be looking at as far a price goes?
Sending you a PM (private message)

Tags
uhaul