Three Foot-itis and an Upcoming Visit To Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #21

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Emij, I have in the past ordered a 13' Scamp, changed to a 16'Casita, price only, and recently finally changed to a 17' Casita. I think Scamp and Casita are both quality for price TTs. I might suggest looking at a 17' Casita. Not to change your loyalty, but just to see if the extra ft. will bring you any more camping pleasure. Even tho I will own a Casita I have a great respect for Scamp and the folks who own them. I will be attending my 2nd Scamp rally in Sept at Quincy and I bet there will be a good mixture of Scamps, Casitas and a few other brands. FG folks are great! Pick the best trailer for your needs.

Mark
Old 07-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #22

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
This is EXACTLY why we are thinking and rethinking options. Currently we camp locally about 6-7 times a year - Colorado mountains, Utah, Nebraska. We take a 10-14 day trip once a year, which is typcially 2000-3000 miles round trip, depending on where we go (we are trying to visit all of the National Parks ) Our current, simple set up works for that.

That being said, as our kids graduate and move out, we plan to travel extensively, 2-3 weeks at a time, multiple times a year, possibly more like 2-3 months at a time once we retire. So the very things you've listed DO require more discussion. Thank you for sharing your point of view.
Emily,

We got our Scamp13-L1-BB about six months before my wife and I retired.
Our best tow vehicle at the time was a Honda CRV that Honda only rated to
tow 1500 pounds. Our Scamp13 omitted most of the heavier items and
aerodynamic drag items (AC, bathroom [incl backwater tank, hot water tank,
toilet/shower fixtures, etc.], awning, wooden interior [only very slightly
heavier if at all], furnace, awning, etc. We splurged on lighting, electrical
outlets, upper cabinets for clothes, screen door, 12v fresh water pump, etc.
No regrets.

Even though our kids are/were already out of the house, we soon found out
that (with both of their parents working) our grandkids were very happy to
go on as many summer camping adventures as possible. Although it was
doable with the Scamp13, the Scamp16D-A is far less cramped with more
people and gear inside.

Once we bought a better tow vehicle, I told my wife that we were no longer
as weight limited and that we could upgrade to a slightly larger trailer that
would be a little roomier and have a few more amenities.

In our Scamp13, we used campground showers and toilets and had a
porta-potti as a backup. In the Scamp16D-A, we still use campground
facilities when available. However, overnight stays at WalMart or truck stops
(i.e. Pilot/FlyingJ) are now much more doable. Sometimes, when traveling
in remote areas, it has been nice knowing that there was/is a clean restroom
about 15 feet behind us.

About once a year, we go to the Oshkosh air show and "boondock" with
no hookups for a week. The 16 foot trailer seems about equally suited to
hookups or boondocking.

My wife loves the larger refrigerator with the freezer compartment that
makes it easier to have iced drinks with dinner (we had to use bagged ice
before we had our own freezer with ice cube trays.)

I agree with others. Things change over time.

Everyone's needs, wants, and camping styles are different.
We are happy with our Scamp16D-A decision.

Best of luck with your decisions!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #23

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Mark- we've actually been in several Casitas- we seem to run into them in campgrounds quite often and people have been kind enough to let us look! I like them, but for whatever reason we both still prefer Scamp. Maybe it's our Midwestern roots I do keep an out on the Fiberglass for sale site, and I'm looking at both Scamp and Casita, so it wouldn't be completely ruled out if we found one in the layout we want!

Ray- I really do like hearing that you don't regret moving into a larger trailer! I also like hearing which things made the most difference. A larger fridge instead of an ice box is something I could see us really liking, but I worry about the maintenance and keeping it running properly. I'm torn between keeping it simple and extra amenities, especially things we might love having down the road! So thank you for sharing!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:06 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
A larger fridge instead of an ice box is something I could see us really liking, but I worry about the maintenance and keeping it running properly. I'm torn between keeping it simple and extra amenities, especially things we might love having down the road! So thank you for sharing!
Emily, an RV refer isn't really any different than your home fridge for maintenance. At home you clean the coils for dust, in an RV you may have to clear the flame tip for a spider web or some such. I will say that I've never had any problem with a refer in 30 years. My first camper had an ice box, never again, an ice chest worked better but I would never be without a refer again. As in anything, we always hear of problems with something but never hear from the masses with no problem with it . FWIW, I think you'll enjoy the refer and never look back .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #25

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We looked at stickies the summer of 2015; found nothing right. All the rigs were too big/heavy for our new dodge grand caravan, which we really liked for configuration and optional seats up or seats folded away for cargo space, plus decent gas mileage (compared to our old Get-Away Van with 8 mpg at best).

Then we looked at a used Scamp, Boler, and Trillium, all 13'. We got 3-foot-itis immediately. There was no way the two of us plus two wiggly pugs were going to fit in those.

Then we discovered the very used, 16' amerigo, and that was it. Just right. After renovation, we do without most amenities to keep weight down and operation very simple, and the space is just right. Size really does matter when you're all sleeping together. Um, so to speak.

Best luck finding your right size and rig!

Kai
Old 07-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #26
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
With the continued favorable exchange rate an Escape 17 might be worth considering. Their production schedule indicates less than a 6 month wait. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #27

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Emily, an RV refer isn't really any different than your home fridge for maintenance. At home you clean the coils for dust, in an RV you may have to clear the flame tip for a spider web or some such. I will say that I've never had any problem with a refer in 30 years. My first camper had an ice box, never again, an ice chest worked better but I would never be without a refer again. As in anything, we always hear of problems with something but never hear from the masses with no problem with it . FWIW, I think you'll enjoy the refer and never look back .
This may have been exactly what I needed to hear regarding a refrigerator I keep reading threads where people have had issues, but we are trying to think down the road and I don't see myself wanting to lug a cooler all the time. Thank you! Everyone is giving such great insight and I appreciate it so very much!
Old 07-15-2017, 04:26 PM   #28

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
We looked at stickies the summer of 2015; found nothing right. All the rigs were too big/heavy for our new dodge grand caravan, which we really liked for configuration and optional seats up or seats folded away for cargo space, plus decent gas mileage (compared to our old Get-Away Van with 8 mpg at best).

Then we looked at a used Scamp, Boler, and Trillium, all 13'. We got 3-foot-itis immediately. There was no way the two of us plus two wiggly pugs were going to fit in those.

Then we discovered the very used, 16' amerigo, and that was it. Just right. After renovation, we do without most amenities to keep weight down and operation very simple, and the space is just right. Size really does matter when you're all sleeping together. Um, so to speak.

Best luck finding your right size and rig!

Kai
Isn't it funny how we get where we are? We purposefully bought small, because coming from a tent background, I didn't want my people spending all their free time inside instead out in nature. The Scamp was just going to be a place to sleep. But after two very rainy camping seasons and fast growing children, I can see where the extra space will make a difference. It's squishy with all of us in there and making up beds/taking them down really annoys me

We are trying to think down the road when the kids are gone, too, and of course we'll be older, so I'd like things to be easier. I see my retired self wanting to make something quick on the stove, rather than drag out the camping stove every meal. I see myself not wanting to haul heavy coolers around, so a fridge might be worth the weight and maintenance... those kinds of things! Thank you!
Old 07-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #29

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
With the continued favorable exchange rate an Escape 17 might be worth considering. Their production schedule indicates less than a 6 month wait. Raz
I think they are probably out of our price range, so we haven't looked at them at all. Although my dad keeps telling me he'd love to make a trip to Canada if we need him too
Old 07-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #30

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
I think they are probably out of our price range, so we haven't looked at them at all. Although my dad keeps telling me he'd love to make a trip to Canada if we need him too
Without asking you what your price range is, I'll just point out that an Escape 17 starts at around 20K USD right now because of the favorable exchange rate for US buyers.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #31

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Without asking you what your price range is, I'll just point out that an Escape 17 starts at around 20K USD right now because of the favorable exchange rate for US buyers.
Definitely more than we hope to spend
Old 07-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #32
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
There's initial cost and long term costs. I suspect in the long term the Escape is not that much more expensive especially when you consider your time fixing things. That said, we all need to live within our budget. Good luck. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp