Smoking and heating Fuse panel replacement on 2013 scamp. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #1

Smoking and heating Fuse panel replacement on 2013 scamp.

Have already replaced my converter thinking that was the problem we're having with this smoking and heating issue. In addition to heating and smoking while we were at a campsite, the 12 V circuit breaker cut off on us on two separate occasions. However, The now knew converter doesn't seem to be the problem since the area above the fuse panel is still getting hot. Have ordered another fuse panel to replace the four-year-old fuse panel. The trailer is only four years old and this seems to be a very serious electrical problem that I have no clue as to what is going on. The scamp people in Minnesota have suggested replacing both the converter and now the fuse panel to solve this problem. I have ordered a fuse panel and hope to put it in in the next few days. I've also replaced the original battery with a brand-new one. If anyone has a suggestion as to what is going on I certainly would appreciate some thoughts on this matter.
robertmarchiony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #2

Name: J
Isle of Wight
sounds silly but are all the wires tight in their terminal screws?
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
This smoking and heating problem has a cause and replacing parts isnt going to solve the problem if there is nothing wrong with the parts.

In order to have smoking and heating you have to have something drawing the power.

When is this problem occurring, what is heating up and what is smoking. What is being powered when these problems exist.

What has been added to the electrical system since it left the Scamp Factory.

Are the proper clearances, venting and installation procedures for the converter and fuse panel being followed. I suggest getting the installation manual for the converter/fuse panel if you don't have one.

Is your battery good and your not asking the converter to charge a faulty battery. Disconnect the battery and let it sit overnight and check the battery voltage or take it to the auto parts for a charge and load testing.

Who's the manufacture and what model is your converter/load center?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
sounds silly but are all the wires tight in their terminal screws?
Not silly at all. That was my first thought and would be the first thing I would check. If that is the cause, then replacing all the parts might fix the problem because you would be redoing all the connections. But then again, if that it the cause it might take little more then restriping a wire and re-tightening a screw. If there is smoke, I would expect to see burnt insulation, discolored wires, or something similar wherever the problem is.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Smoke usually means something is getting too hot. Fire is next.

Further suggest that you take the trailer to somebody that understands what causes things to get hot.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #6

Want to thank all for your trouble shooting help on my scamp.
Checked all wiring and it was ok. Plugged trailer in on my driveway for 15 minutes to see what was getting hot. Wiring checked out fine. Heat seemed to be coming from a circuit breaker. Removed fuse box and circuit breaker ( Main&12 volt circuit, 30amp and 15 amp), pulled breaker to find it was shorting out. Fuse panel had slight heat melt, but seemed well enough to just replace the breaker. Installed a new breaker and all seems to be well. Taking it out to a local park next week for one final test. Again thanks all!
Old 07-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #7

Name: Jeff T
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Midwest
Breaker Question

Kinda scary having things heat up like that.....

I'm no electrician but wondering how a breaker develops a short or goes bad as I have never seen such a thing. It sounds like things melted a bit. Was it the breaker itself that melted and gave the problem away? Was there wiring nearby that got pinched etc. that could have caused the short.

Just curious if there is something to be watching out for in our Scamp......
Your original post indicated that the factory didn't seem to specifically identify the potential problem other than replacing the major portions of the electrical system. You might want to alert them to the fix as well.

- Jeff
Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:50 PM   #8

Hey Jeff. Just the breaker had shorted. All wiring checked out fine.

Tags
scamp