Tow Vehicle (mid-size PU) for 19' Scamp 5th wheel - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2018, 04:41 AM   #81

Name: G
Trailer: Damon
Alberta
"new ford Ranger"

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
That is certainly a workhorsed opinion of a different color!
While it is not "Totoly" true and a bit of a "Strawman" argument, at least the "Wizards of Dearborn" got it back home to Kansas USA.

Unfortunately, like the movie, the non-OZ Rangers are mostly some version of black and white.

Every pusillanimous truck which crawls upon our roads has a computer... The Ranger returns with the (diploma) brain of EPA certification, "clocking in" with a strong mechanical heart, and the(Ford oval) badge of courage to reclaim its position as the American King of mid-sized trucks.
I'm a huge Ranger fan, currently on my 6th, one of which was a diesel! My current unit of 1999 vintage is going have to last me a few more years while I wait for one of these new fancy units to depreciate down to my limited budget, hopefully another diesel! Put a 5.0 in a couple of them, a truck Ford should have made! Usually acquired them at around 250.000 Km, every single one has given me at least 100.000 Km of trouble free service, and then easily sold on to a new home. Simple, unadorned, reliable and user maintainable, truly a King of little trucks!!
workhorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #82

Name: Arthur
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel
New Hampshire
Scamp 5th Wheel Towing

I have a 2005 Scamp and have towed it well with a Ranger, Dakota and now a Frontier.

The composite bed is usable if you install it right. If you ask any dealer about a 5th wheel they will say NO! That because they cannot imagine a Scamp 5er and instantly think 10,000 lbs

FYI I have an extra Scamp factory 5th wheel hitch if you need one and want to save $300 of the $599 they get new

I love mine its set up for boondocking
ArthurBNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #83

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
[QUOTE=ArthurBNH;730282] If you ask any dealer about a 5th wheel they will say NO! That because they cannot imagine a Scamp 5er and instantly think 10,000 lbs /QUOTE]

I’ve often heard this statement , is it based in fact or is it just an off repeated urban legend ?
I have a full size 1/2 ton truck and the manufacturer’s engineers told me that they were fully aware of FG trailers and that my truck still wasn’t suitable for 5th wheel towing as stated in the owner’s manual .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #84

New Hampshire
Of Course

That is the usual bla bla bla and FYA answer.

That's because the manufactures and most dealers can imagine a 5th wheel that fully loaded is under 3000 lbs with a tongue wight of under 500 (less than the rating a class III bumper hitch). Towing a Scamp 5er is less demanding than a heavy popup or a typical hybrid.

So if the manual says not they are going to say NO! But that does not mean it cant be done or is not safe.

Last year a fellow sold his 5er because the dealer said the manual says no and he would void his warranty on his new truck if he did. He had a big payment so he sold the trailer and kept the truck. Despite the fact that dozens of 5er owners have towed with that truck for years.

It not a legend it happens all the time.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #85

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurBNH View Post
That is the usual bla bla bla and FYA answer.

That's because the manufactures and most dealers can imagine a 5th wheel that fully loaded is under 3000 lbs with a tongue wight of under 500 (less than the rating a class III bumper hitch). Towing a Scamp 5er is less demanding than a heavy popup or a typical hybrid.

So if the manual says not they are going to say NO! But that does not mean it cant be done or is not safe.

Last year a fellow sold his 5er because the dealer said the manual says no and he would void his warranty on his new truck if he did. He had a big payment so he sold the trailer and kept the truck. Despite the fact that dozens of 5er owners have towed with that truck for years.

It not a legend it happens all the time.
So we’re using the “ Other people do it so it must be OK ! “ reasoning , which I do not accept . It’s a semi free county and as long as both of us accept responsibility for the outcome of our actions then go for it .
I am not going to take this debate any farther , time to go put another log on the fire .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #86

New Hampshire
You asked I answered

I didn't express an opinion on any truck, any setup or choice. i just answered your question "it is not a legend" and told a story that's true so its not a debate I guess you just need the last word and to be right.

Happy traveling
Old 01-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #87

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tow Vehicle (mid-size PU) for 19' Scamp 5th wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
...I have a full size 1/2 ton truck and the manufacturer’s engineers told me that they were fully aware of FG trailers and that my truck still wasn’t suitable for 5th wheel towing as stated in the owner’s manual .
My guess- and it’s just that- is they won’t endorse any fifth wheel towing because they have tested their half-tons to J2807 (which doesn’t even have a category covering small, lightweight fivers).

Common sense and 30+ years of experience says it will be fine, but one does have to consider the drivetrain warranty. If something goes wrong and they find a fifth wheel hitch installed, you could have an uphill battle.

I wonder if you get a different answer if you call it a gooseneck?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:45 AM   #88

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I wish those prescriptions and broad statements that fall in the manufacturers' CYA category would be accompanied by a technical explanation. However, I expect that those explanations would be nixed by the corporate legal teams, all in collusion.

PS. I recently read an interesting explanation about the term "fifth wheel": in the very old days, those trailers were hooked up to the spare (fifth) wheel. I guess that spare used to be in the bed of the truck, so by that definition anything hooked up in the bed is a fifth wheel.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #89

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The Scamp19 is not"technically" a fifth wheel... problem solved!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #90

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The Scamp19 is not"technically" a fifth wheel... problem solved!
...and everybody shall live happily ever after - I hope.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:19 PM   #91

New Hampshire
It is a weird animal!

It actually is a modified gooseneck type attach to a 5th wheel type frame on the trailer. In the truck it is a raised gooseneck paired up with a 5th wheel hitch (that is what Scamp sells made by Reese).

So its a "5th Goose"

Tags
scamp