towing a scamp 5th wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #1

Name: Naomi
Trailer: scamp
Texas
towing a scamp 5th wheel

hi yall! i currently drive a 2015 ford f150. I found a 1994 scamp 5th wheel that I'm really interested in. does anyone know if there will be enough truck bed clearance? the owner said they picked it up with an f350....trying to get measurements from owner... but does anyone have this combo? know if itll work? Thank you!
nayhomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
A crucial measurement is the height of the trailer coupler from the ground. This measurement varies depending on the trailer axle. The trailer and axle can be modified if necessary. Since it was towed with an F250, the trailer might even require lowering. You should be able to make this work.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Years ago I almost bought one and this was the main reason I didn't buy...Well that and I didn't really like how you had to lay-down to make the bed...
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’ve seen people tow these things at crazy angles, so I wouldn’t assume that just because it “worked” with an F350 means it will be right with yours.

Does it have the OEM standard suspension, the OEM 3” raised suspension, or something else modified by a previous owner?

If it has either stock suspension a call to Scamp will tell you what bedrail heights will work. If it’s been modified, you’ll want to know the actual height of the loft with the trailer sitting level on level ground.

As said though, even if it doesn’t fit your truck, that can be fixed with a new axle, which it may well need anyway given the age. Torsion axles have a typical lifespan of around 20 years. If the price and condition are otherwise right...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
That vintage, 1994, most probably does not have the 3" spacer in the axle mount. If it does, it should work. In any case, I would go back and measure the height from the ground to the lower edge of the shell below the loft. Measure your truck as well. When connected to the truck you should try to have 6" to 8" between the truck bed sides and that lower edge of the shell. Scamp uses the Reese ball mount, the height of which is adjustable.
I hope it works out for you, they tow really well. I do have to agree with Floyd, making the bed in the loft is a pain in the back side (literally). It gets easier with practice.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:29 PM   #6

Name: Arthur
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel
New Hampshire
Scamp 5th wheel

If you could post a picture of it we might be able to tell if it has been raised.

If the axle is good adding spacers is not all that difficult or expensive if needed.

I have a 2005 and love how it towes.

FYI is you need a Scamp 5th wheel hitch I have one for half price
ArthurBNH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp