Trails West Campster - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2006, 04:51 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster
Hi All
I have gutted my trails west camster as part of my reno project. If you need parts I'm in Southern Ontario.
cheers
gerry gregory
Old 07-29-2006, 10:23 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hi All
I have gutted my trails west camster as part of my reno project. If you need parts I'm in Southern Ontario.
cheers
gerry gregory
Hi Jerry,

I am new to this site, so I hope I am doing this right. I am interested in buying an old trails west camper that is fairly close (6 hrs) and the right price.

When I went to look at it, the owner was obviously very honest and told me a few problems with it. When they go down a dirt road, the door would pop off. She said their fix was to jump out of the car every quarter mile and pound the hinges back in.

I live in Yosemite and want to take the trailer in the high country where there are nothing but bumpy dirt roads. I have read some postings from other fiberglass rv owners whose doors have opened under similar circumstances, but none that feel off.

Do you suppose this is a problem that can be remedied without spending huge $$$$?

Also, the trailer sat under 7 feet of snow last winter and they forgot to cover it, causing the popup to leak. The leak was noticeable because there is plywood under the pop up cover which appears water stained. But still, it seems in good shape, except for the fact one of the mechanisms to hold up one side of the pop up is completely gone. On the issue of spare parts, do you know where we might be able to get one of those mechanisms?

thanks for your input! (I will post this elsewhere on the site in case anyone else wants to weigh in.

thanks again

kimberly
Old 08-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster
Quote:
Hi Jerry,

I am new to this site, so I hope I am doing this right. I am interested in buying an old trails west camper that is fairly close (6 hrs) and the right price.

When I went to look at it, the owner was obviously very honest and told me a few problems with it. When they go down a dirt road, the door would pop off. She said their fix was to jump out of the car every quarter mile and pound the hinges back in.

I live in Yosemite and want to take the trailer in the high country where there are nothing but bumpy dirt roads. I have read some postings from other fiberglass rv owners whose doors have opened under similar circumstances, but none that feel off.

Do you suppose this is a problem that can be remedied without spending huge $$$$?

Also, the trailer sat under 7 feet of snow last winter and they forgot to cover it, causing the popup to leak. The leak was noticeable because there is plywood under the pop up cover which appears water stained. But still, it seems in good shape, except for the fact one of the mechanisms to hold up one side of the pop up is completely gone. On the issue of spare parts, do you know where we might be able to get one of those mechanisms?

thanks for your input! (I will post this elsewhere on the site in case anyone else wants to weigh in.

thanks again

kimberly

Hi Kimberly

The doors on the TWC are the weak part of the RV. Look for rotten wood around the doors and on the floor near the door. The trailer frame is under built- check closely for breaks or places where the frame has seperated from itself. Check for damage to the fiberglass under the RV, you are looking for creaks or breaks in the fiberglass. Pay close attention to where the the frame and FG shell meet at the front near the coupler- look for damage there. Also check the FG at the top corners of the door. These often crack. The problem is in the pop-up which weakens the construction and results in excessive movement on the walls which cracks the floor. I bought mine for $900 and have spent as much building a frame, and adding appliances and cabinets. I have the parts you need. Look it over carefully before you buy. Don't let the cute factor throw you off.
cheers
gerry

Tags
campster, trails west